Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hayabusa data released!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions
Pages: 1, 2
elakdawalla
Hayabusa's data has been released!

Press release: http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/e/snews/2007/0424.shtml
Site for data: http://hayabusa.sci.isas.jaxa.jp/

The release includes the AMICA (camera), NIRS, LIDAR, and XRS data, plus SPICE kernels and the shape model!!!

AMICA data (from http://hayabusa.sci.isas.jaxa.jp/amica.pl) is in FITS format. There is an observation log with basic information about each image, available through that link.

Unfortunately, I have to return to bed to attempt to overcome a bout of the flu so I can't play sad.gif sad.gif I knew this was coming yesterday and wanted to check for it and let you guys know about it. Have fun.

--Emily
Stu
VERY cool pics! Just had a 5 min browse before heading out to work, but this caught my eye...

Click to view attachment

Is that dark area at the top an imaging artefact, or the shadow of the probe's panels falling on the asteroid? If it's the latter, that's beautiful... smile.gif
ngunn
That shape model 3D movie is something definitely not to be missed. Top of the bill for my astronomy class this evening!!!
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (ngunn @ Apr 24 2007, 06:24 AM) *
That shape model 3D movie is something definitely not to be missed. Top of the bill for my astronomy class this evening!!!

Agreed. That is just about the coolest thing.
http://hayabusa.sci.isas.jaxa.jp/data/shap...awa_g070104.mov
ustrax
In spite of all the problems this mission is truly something... blink.gif
ugordan
The 3D model of the asteroid has got to be one of the coolest things I've seen this year. And someone still regards this mission as a failure...

Stu, whatever that is, I don't think it's a shadow. Way too big for that. I'd guess something in the optics. Might even be color filters as far as I know.

EDIT: Ah, silly me, should have read the instrument description...
"Four position-angle glass polarizers were mounted on an edge of the 1024 pixel by 1024 pixel CCD chip."
That's the "shadowing" effect as polarizers let through less light.
Airbag
The dark area at the top of the image is (from the JAXA web site):

"Four position-angle glass polarizers were mounted on an edge of the 1024 pixel by 1024 pixel CCD chip."

You can see it more clearly on the various close up images.

Airbag
Airbag
It turns out the B, V and W filters used on the AMICA camera make it very easy to make pleasing RGB-like images by mapping BVW to BGR. I have attached such a composite from the Earth swingby below; all I did was tweak the gamma a little to brighten the image.

Click to view attachment

Airbag
ngunn
Very nice, Airbag. What's the yellow spot near New York?
volcanopele
QUOTE (ustrax @ Apr 24 2007, 08:46 AM) *
In spite of all the problems this mission is truly something... blink.gif

As a member of the Cassini project ("where all nicknames for surface features relate to cats"), I dub the boulder at lower left "Tiger Rock"
Airbag
QUOTE (ngunn @ Apr 24 2007, 01:47 PM) *
What's the yellow spot near New York?

Data drop out in the B channel? I just used the raw jpg images "as is"; no attempt at any corrections or filtering beyond just a touch of gamma.

Airbag
Stu
re "shadow" - thanks for clearing that up guys. I'd probably have found that if I'd had time before going out. smile.gif
David
Looking at the 3-dimensional model, it seems really obvious that Itokawa is two, maybe three big chunks of rock stuck together at an odd angle with some accreted rubble cementing them together.
mchan
QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 24 2007, 07:11 AM) *
Is that dark area at the top an imaging artefact, or the shadow of the probe's panels falling on the asteroid? If it's the latter, that's beautiful... smile.gif

It's a modesty shield.

The base of my mind working there. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. smile.gif
JRehling
QUOTE (ngunn @ Apr 24 2007, 11:47 AM) *
Very nice, Airbag. What's the yellow spot near New York?

Based on what I've seen while driving through, it could be the clouds of New Jersey, which can also be green, magenta, or brown, depending on the day's industrial activity.
Paolo
Are you sure this is the complete image set?
I can't find any of those fantastic pictures showing the shadow of Hayabusa hovering above Itokawa!
djellison
Had a hack at that same image myself smile.gif

Doug
centsworth_II
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 25 2007, 04:32 PM) *
Had a hack at that same image myself smile.gif

But where is Hayabusa's shadow? tongue.gif
4th rock from the sun
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Here are some RGB images, with correction for filter wavelenghts via CIE colorspaces. Nice image of the asteroid's surface!!! Only gamma was corrected, color saturation is left untouched from the raw data on all images.
Subaru
QUOTE (Paolo @ Apr 26 2007, 01:38 AM) *
I can't find any of those fantastic pictures showing the shadow of Hayabusa hovering above Itokawa!

You're right. "Hayabusa's shadow and the target marker's light" picture isn't in the site now.
Current pictures are "for science" pictures, and the "shadow and light" one was "for navigation control."
(So - please forgive my rudeness - correct title is "Hayabusa science data released!".)

Of course I belieave that ISAS will add such famouse pictures. Plese wait! laugh.gif
remcook
amazing pictures! I didn't realise there was any color variations of the surface, let alone that much (even if streched)!
ugordan
Doug, that Earth image looks sharper than the JPEGs readily downloadable produce, I assume you got FITS files instead? The JPEGs seem to be filtered out with something like a median filter, killing any small scale details (note particularly 4th rock's Itokawa global image above). Don't know why that would be the case.
djellison
Yup - FITS.
Stu
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Apr 25 2007, 08:45 PM) *
But where is Hayabusa's shadow? tongue.gif

Obviously you weren't looking hard enough...

Click to view attachment

Smart**** wink.gif

Seriously tho, what an amazing story... The Little Probe That Could, eh? And what a wealth of pictures it's given us. Even the ones that don't appear to show much at first glance are intriguing, and add something to our knowledge, and weren't sat on just because someone doesn't think they're worth sharing with the Wide World. No bleating about images "not being suitable for PR" from the Hyabusa people... wink.gif
CosmicRocker
These are some really amazing images. Many thanks to the Hayabusa team for making them available. I first read about it on Emily's blog, and was impressed with the animation of a rotating Itokawa that was made by Řyvind Guldbrandsen. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be difficult to turn that animation into an animated anaglyph, which I just finished. To make it a less tedious task I used the 57-frame animation that Emily posted rather than the original 169-frame version. Still, making 57 anaglyphs in one day with Photoshop is a new record for me. laugh.gif

This animated GIF is a little over 3 MB. I may not be able to leave it up for a long time because it uses a large part of the small amount of server space my ISP allots to me.
babakm
That's amazing!

Definitely looks like more than two main lobes. After staring at it for a few revolutions and taking in the way the huge boulders are just gently resting on the surface, it looks like the whole thing would just float apart with the slightest nudge.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ May 6 2007, 01:19 PM) *
This animated GIF is a little over 3 MB. I may not be able to leave it up for a long time because it uses a large part of the small amount of server space my ISP allots to me.

Cool stuff, cosmicrocker! I will probably blog this sometime this week, so I reposted it on our site -- people, you can go here for CosmicRocker's animation if you want to avoid killing his server.

--Emily
elakdawalla
These data were released in FITS format. I downloaded it all and used IMG2PNG to convert it to PNG format (thanks, Bjorn!!). I created browse pages and downloadable Zip archives of the entire data set.

This is sort of an experiment to see if people like this and find it useful. I'd appreciate feedback.

http://planetary.org/explore/topics/hayabusa/rawdata.html

--Emily
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ May 6 2007, 12:19 PM) *
I used the 57-frame animation that Emily posted rather than the original 169-frame version. Still, making 57 anaglyphs in one day with Photoshop is a new record for me. laugh.gif

This is just the coolest thing CR. Thank you. (now do all 169 frames please biggrin.gif )

Wow. Just wow.
djellison
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 8 2007, 02:21 AM) *
These data were released in FITS format. I downloaded it all and used IMG2PNG to convert it to PNG format (thanks, Bjorn!!). I created browse pages and downloadable Zip archives of the entire data set.

Not sure how you did it, if I did that it'd take 28 years ohmy.gif Inspired smile.gif

Doug
Tman
Wow Emily, you are fantastic! smile.gif

It is very nice to browse over in this way. I guess, in this form, you could it even deliver back to JAXA for a nice mite biggrin.gif

In the Cruise phase page currently I get only black images when I click on a thumbnail.

Edited: There are still more of these dark images, I guess they need yet a tonal value adjustment.
ngunn
For me that amazing 3D animation updates by halves - top, bottom, top, bottom . . . Can anyone advise how to avoid this?
djellison
Sounds like a symptom of a sluggish machine that can't play a big anim-gif - I can make a .mov of it tonight now if I'm a bit cheaky at work waiting for videos to render that should solve the problem for you as long as you can play quicktime movies. One option - save the gif and load it in Quicktime. Other option - just load the attached quicktime movie instead smile.gif

Doug
ngunn
Brilliant, thanks Doug.
belleraphon1
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 7 2007, 09:21 PM) *

This is sort of an experiment to see if people like this and find it useful. I'd appreciate feedback.

http://planetary.org/explore/topics/hayabusa/rawdata.html

--Emily

Absolutely fantastic job, Emily. I would call this a very successful experiment just from the angle of getting data out to those of us who can be a bit tschno-challenged at times.

Beautiful stuff... what a fantastic little space craft... what strange and wonderful visions of that little rubble pile in space..... this is a true treasure trove and the folks at JAXA and ISAS should be proud.

Hope they bring her home.

Craig
tedstryk
Great job making it accessible!
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Tman @ May 8 2007, 01:16 AM) *
In the Cruise phase page currently I get only black images when I click on a thumbnail.

Edited: There are still more of these dark images, I guess they need yet a tonal value adjustment.

Since the images are 16-bit, for a lot of them, all the pixel values are pretty near the black end of the histogram. Just adjust the contrast in whatever imaging software you prefer.

And you're welcome, guys. This is relatively easy for me to do, because it takes very few brain cells, only quick and accurate clicking, typing, and downloading, and some tricky uses of batch processing software, and Excel text editing functions to create the html for me. I can easily do it while the rest of my brain (and, often, one of my hands) is occupied entertaining the baby. In payment all I ask is that you post some more nice image products that I can share on the blog. smile.gif

Got any requests for other data sets that would be valuable to have done this way?

--Emily
CosmicRocker
That truly is excellent, Emily. We're all grateful that you had that one hand free. wink.gif As for other datasets that you might do, I'm not sure what is available, but might be interesting to see imagery from some neglected mission that we could try to work with. I suspect someone will have specific suggestions.

Thanks to all for the kind comments on the 3D animation. I'm glad people enjoyed it. ElkGroveDan: Regarding your suggestion, I probably won't get around to it until I retire later this year. cool.gif
4th rock from the sun
Emily, thanks for the work in making the data accessible with all the info needed for us who like to do a little image processing.

These are my results, based on the nice 16bit PNGs biggrin.gif Color saturation is as in the original data, only gamma was adjusted and some unsharp mask was used.

Perhaps processed image such as these could be made accessible next to the raw data. For my part, these images can be used freely, just add "processed by R. Nunes" to the credits.

As for some other datasets, that's a great idea... perhaps it would be easier to start at the beginning, with older missions, because the data volume is lower and the images much less circulated in an accessible form. Off course, as discussed on other topics, much of the stuff doesn't even exist any more. Anyway, just three suggestions: Giotto and Vega, Phobos, Pioneer (PVO, 10, 11).
elakdawalla
Thanks, 4th rock, and they're duly blogged! smile.gif

I'll have to look in to these other data sets and see if I can work with them. Doing Hayabusa was facilitated by the fact that I could download all the data in a day or two, and then batch-convert the files with IMG2PNG. I agree that starting from as far back as possible is a great idea, for both of the reasons that you mention.

I think it's a nice idea to post processed views next to the raw data, except that these raw data pages are generated automatically from the Excel spreadsheet of the image metadata. Adding in processed versions will require more hand-editing and maintenance than I really want to do.

--Emily
nop
Dear Emily and Guys,

Thank you for your excellent images and movies! We Japanese are grateful for your providing eye-friendly data.

Here are some more images and movies mostly by Japanese fans. Sorry that they are written in Japanese,
but I hope you'll enjoy images at least.

Stereograms:
http://yunzu.qee.jp/sitefolder/copages/itokawa/itokawa.html

Wireframe animations:
http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~ken-ishi/3D-Itokawa.htm

Plug-ins for 3D Polygon Modeler Metasequoia (http://www.metaseq.net/metaseq/index.html):
http://www.imasy.or.jp/~imae/kagaku/itokawa.htm
http://wanderer.jp/metasequoia/index.html

Celestia data (converted by Chris):
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10984

And my recommendation is a Google Earth file provided by Dr. Hirata (Hayabusa Science Team). Itokawa is floating over ISAS biggrin.gif
http://kumano.u-aizu.ac.jp/~naru/Itokawa_slope_over_ISAS.kmz

Enjoy!
CosmicRocker
Thank you, nop. I especially enjoyed Dr. Hirata's kmz file. I was expecting a sample return, but I had no idea the plan was to bring the whole thing back home. smile.gif cool.gif
tty
There are a lot of papers on Hayabusa freely available here:

http://ci.nii.ac.jp/vol_issue/nels/AN10446455_en.html

all in japanese unfortunately....
Stu
Emily,

That pic on the Planetary Society blog showing Itokawa and ISS to the same scale has to be one of the coolest things I have ever, ever seen. Thanks!
ugordan
Just for the fun of it (and increase of the "me too" factor here), here's my go at the cool Hayabusa Earth image. I couldn't resist - there aren't that many interplanetary spacecraft images of Earth and even fewer ones that catch a glimpse of my puny country wink.gif

Big thanks goes to Emily and her raw page for saving me the trouble of getting a FITS plugin!
elakdawalla
You're welcome, Stu smile.gif

One of the many projects on my "to do" list is to continue developing a set of scale images of all kinds of space objects to compare with each other, both manmade and natural. Itokawa and the ISS will help bridge from the natural objects to the manmade ones. I've got a set of images at many scales for the largest 50 or so objects in the solar system -- now I need to work my way down.

--Emily
lyford
Emily - I can't wait to see the Whole Solar System Catalog in it's finished glory. biggrin.gif

I'm sure you've seen this:

Spaceship Dimensions

But just in case you haven't....

I like how Jeff transitions between different scales - he does have our moon in the mix as well under -2000x.
Tman
Speaking of comparing with each other...
It seems nowadays jetset is able to afford everything rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

It's a Mercedes-SL Roadster with 4,530/1,830 meters. I've tried to match it with the 2m scale bar.
It was the only matching car (and woman cool.gif ) image that I could find.
Subaru
I think you've been waiting for this picture:http://spaceinfo.jaxa.jp/hayabusa/photo/im...awa18_large.jpg

JAXA Space Edication Center released "Shouwakusei Tansaki 'Hayabusa' Monogatari" (The Story of 'Hayabusa' Spacecraft).
Though written in Japanese only, its "pictures" page has some famouse pictures like "target marker's light and Hayabusa's shadow".

Enjoy! smile.gif
tedstryk
I have completed my version of Hayabusa's best moon image. I know I am a little late the party with this, but it took me a while to tease anything out of it.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.