Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: May 27 2007 icy moons (rev 45)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
Pages: 1, 2
CAP-Team
The first RAW's of Cassini's Rhea, Mimas, Dione and Enceladus flyby are up.
I wonder where the RAW's of the Tethys flyby are.. blink.gif
ugordan
QUOTE (CAP-Team @ May 28 2007, 03:34 PM) *
I wonder where the RAW's of the Tethys flyby are..
They probably haven't been downlinked yet. For example, I haven't seen the Enceladus sequence in the raws a couple of hours ago even if it came before Rhea chronologically.

This might warrant a new thread, though, rather than being included here in the T31 discussion.

EDIT: What is that bright star Dione is occulting that's being used for an UVIS stellar occulation? It's very bright in that it rivals Dione's brightness at low phase.
alan
Which image shows the star that was occulted by Dione?
Floyd
These 7 images. The object is several pixels across, so may be a moon? The targeting was on the mystery object and Dione transited by. The images were taken with Red, Blue, IR3, IR1, Green, UV3, and Clr. The IR3 & IR1 were taken when the object was behind Dione
ugordan
If the target was the mystery object, then it's not exactly a mystery object, is it? smile.gif
You'd need to have accurate ephemeris to be able to track it.

The looking ahead page on CICLOPS says UVIS was doing a stellar occultation and ISS was riding along, taking a few shots. That would explain why Dione itself wasn't targeted and moves in the FOV.
Floyd
Just a mystery to me, not Cassini investigators. rolleyes.gif
ugordan
It does appear to be a star, but I've been unable to identify it either using SSS or Saturn Viewer (apparently it's not even in its database).

Solar Sys. Simulator view. The slight (by slight I mean <1/2 NAC FOV or 0.17 deg) positional error is most likely within ephemeris errors on the simulator's side.
alan
I thought Enceladus's albedo was quite uniform, guess I was wrong:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...iImageID=111759
MarcF
The darker region left might correspond to the South Polar Terrain containing the Tiger stripes and which has already been shown to have a different albedo in previous Cassini images and in Voyager 1 images.
Marc.
ugordan
Yes, it appears we're seeing the Tiger stripes on the left-hand side of the moon. The darker appearance here might be due to coarser grained ice being less strongly backscattering at very low phase (around 1 deg) than fine-powdered regolith. THe stripes are darker in other viewing geometries, too, so it may be unrelated to this.
Stu
Rhea terminator...

Click to view attachment
volcanopele
QUOTE (CAP-Team @ May 28 2007, 07:34 AM) *
I wonder where the RAW's of the Tethys flyby are.. blink.gif

Blar, I hope they weren't data policed... I don't there is carryover due to the T31 encounter. I think the SSR gets cleaned before Titan flybys...
OWW
QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 28 2007, 11:31 PM) *
Blar, I hope they weren't data policed...I think the SSR gets cleaned before Titan flybys...

You mean Cassini deleted the Tethys images? Isn't that the same thing as what happened to some other Tethys images a couple of years ago? After some ring-images if I remember correctly...
nprev
ohmy.gif ...Jeez, I hope not! Frankly, I'd rather that the datacops threw out superfluous Rhea images; it's big, but geologically the least interesting of the icy moons to date...

(Wait till Exploitcorporations hears about this...she's gonna flip out! unsure.gif )
Exploitcorporations
Cassini, how could you? Two-timing with that battered old hag Rhea again (sob)! Where are your PRIORITIES in this relationship? If you don't straigten up, I'm leaving you for the Mars program!!! laugh.gif

Hope those images turn up eventually. In any case, I must comment that Rhea will come away from this mission with the most comprehensive surface coverage of any body in the system, probably due to location and circumstance. I'm liking the new Mimas images...that's a good view of the canyon east of Herschel, but I was hoping they'd be taken a bit closer. smile.gif

...those data police better have riot gear...
Phil Stooke
First and last Mimas images from this pass.

Phil

Click to view attachment
nprev
Argh...see, I told yas! (slipping into my native dialect, here...) sad.gif
Phil Stooke
No, no, no, that's not it at all. That is still to come.

Still, there is a certain something about that pair of images.

Phil
nprev
No, I meant that EC is on the warpath! biggrin.gif (Albeit in the most polite possible way, although riot gear for datapolice was in fact mentioned... tongue.gif)

EDIT: You're right, Phil; those images are oddly compelling. I couldn't get a 3-D effect from the cross-eye technique, though, which is unusual [SUBEDIT]...probably because rotation occurred between the images, duh... rolleyes.gif However, really a remarkable little world when it's all said and done, isn't it?... smile.gif
volcanopele
The more I think about it, the more I think that they might show up. They should have been the first data back from the spacecraft yesterday. The Rhea stuff came last and theoretically, if there was any data policing or carryover, it would be of the last stuff off the spacecraft, not the first. Meaning we should be missing Rhea data, not Tethys data, in this situation. So hopefully the Tethys data and the rest of Mimas stuff will show up.
Exploitcorporations
Click to view attachment
volcanopele
I was right, the Tethys images and the early Mimas images were returned. Phew!
Exploitcorporations
Click to view attachment
dvandorn
EC, you have discovered a brand-new, never-before-seen object orbiting Saturn!

Since you discovered it, you get to name it. Might I suggest Oldladyglasses?

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
Floyd
EC you have us LOL. Keep up the great artistry.

Floyd
pat
QUOTE (ugordan @ May 28 2007, 03:41 PM) *
They probably haven't been downlinked yet. For example, I haven't seen the Enceladus sequence in the raws a couple of hours ago even if it came before Rhea chronologically.

This might warrant a new thread, though, rather than being included here in the T31 discussion.

EDIT: What is that bright star Dione is occulting that's being used for an UVIS stellar occulation? It's very bright in that it rivals Dione's brightness at low phase.

Its Regulus
ugordan
QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 29 2007, 07:52 AM) *

So, these Tethys images... are we going to see them at the raw page any time soon?
CAP-Team
They're keeping all the neat stuff to themselves tongue.gif
Littlebit
QUOTE (nprev @ May 28 2007, 07:54 PM) *
No, I meant that EC is on the warpath! biggrin.gif (Albeit in the most polite possible way, although riot gear for datapolice was in fact mentioned... tongue.gif)

EDIT: You're right, Phil; those images are oddly compelling. I couldn't get a 3-D effect from the cross-eye technique, though, which is unusual [SUBEDIT]...probably because rotation occurred between the images, duh... rolleyes.gif However, really a remarkable little world when it's all said and done, isn't it?... smile.gif

There is considerable rotation between the images, but if you really turn your head loose, the 3D effect will emerge - the craters look much deeper than they do in either image.
Floyd
I think the left and right images should be switched for normal stereo viewing. smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Yes, they should be switched for stereo - I didn't think of it as a stereo pair. There is a small scale difference too.

Phil
belleraphon1
QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ May 29 2007, 02:59 AM) *

Ec... this is TOTALLY TUBULAR... I mean RAD!!!! biggrin.gif

But.... exactly when will we see Tethys and complete Mimas.. ??? Hmmmm.
Good to know they were received!!!!

And thanks Phil... nice Mimas pairing. Saturn system is such a knock out.... the dead ice cube of Mimas next to the exhausting Enceladus.....................

Craig
ugordan
QUOTE (belleraphon1 @ May 29 2007, 11:11 PM) *
But.... exactly when will we see Tethys and complete Mimas.. ??? Hmmmm.
Good to know they were received!!!!

I'm starting to wonder if any Tethys images were really received. If they were, have they gone ESA on us?
Bjorn Jonsson
QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 29 2007, 06:52 AM) *

I'm starting to get surprised because the Titan images are already at the raw images site but the only recent Tethys image is this one:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...iImageID=111450
Phil Stooke
Well, this isn't from May 27, it's last month, but it's not worth starting a new thread. The team posted a pic of Janus today, looking tiny against the clouds of Saturn. The caption said a few craters were visible. I thought I'd check it out. Here's an extreme blow-up and specially processed version showing that, yes indeed, a few craters are in fact visible.

Phil.

Click to view attachment
angel1801
I've been checking for the Tethys images all this time and they are still not in yet.
ugordan
10 bucks says there are no Tethys images anymore.
alan
They have e-ring images from May 30 posted now. Looks like the Tethys images were deleted to make room for 80 of these:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...iImageID=112050
volcanopele
QUOTE (ugordan @ May 31 2007, 07:11 AM) *

I'll take that! biggrin.gif
Bjorn Jonsson
According to VP earlier in the thread the Tethys images and early Mimas images were returned. It would be very nice to get a confirmation from him that they were really returned - I was thinking of pointing this problem out at the Cassini website but haven't because I don't want to complain about the absence of images that might not exist at all.

PS Having seen VP's new message above I take it that the images really were returned. So presumably it's a problem at the JPL Cassini site...
CAP-Team
Fortunately Cassini makes another close flyby to Tethys this month..
although I don't know if any imaging is planned (guess/hope so wink.gif)
ugordan
QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 31 2007, 11:54 PM) *

Fine, show me the images first! tongue.gif
You're not hiding some all-important discovery from us, are you? biggrin.gif
angel1801
I did another check just minutes ago and they are not up yet.
Exploitcorporations
With complete trust in VP's veracity regarding the "missing" Mimas and Tethys images, a swift and merciless application of Occam's Razor is all that is necessary to answer our lingering questions. I trust that these will be leaked no further than these professional and competent pages.

Click to view attachment
dvandorn
QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Jun 1 2007, 02:11 PM) *
I trust that these will be leaked no further than these professional and competent pages.

You trust? EC -- I find your lack of faith disturbing...

-the other Doug
Juramike
"That's no moon..."

Click to view attachment
alan
Pioneer 11 Epimetheus posts moved here:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=4033
Floyd
QUOTE (ugordan @ May 31 2007, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 31 2007, 06:54 PM) *

VP Is there any way you can facilitate getting the missing images posted on the Cassini site? Searching on most recent images for Tethys still does not bring them up. sad.gif

Alternatively, you could post any recent Tethys mosaics you have been working on. cool.gif

angel1801
For those who conceed that the images are lost there is hope.

On June 12, Cassini will image Mimas again in almost the same area and resolution.

And on June 27, Cassini will image the area of Tethys that was supposed to be imaged on May 26 but at much superior resolution.

And as a bonus, we will see the poorly imaged parts of Enceladus (between 30W and 120W) at about 600m/pxl resolution on June 27 too.

But it would still be nice to see the images of Mimas and Tethys imaged on May 26 though.
angel1801
I just had another look atthe raw image gallery and at last the required Mimas and Tethys images are available to all to see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.