Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Earth as seen from Mars
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
mcaplinger
I have a vague recollection of seeing some artists' conceptions of Earth as seen from Mars in some book when I was a kid, say 1965-1970. It might have been one of the Time-Life "Science Library" series books. Anybody recall?
lyford
Hmmmmm.... is there something you want to tell us? Any press releases on the horizon so to speak?laugh.gif
dvandorn
There is a somewhat famous piece of cover art from an anthology featuring, and named after, A.C. Clarke's short story "Transit of Earth" (published by Playboy, 1971). Of course, this particular piece, while it shows Earth from Mars, shows it as it transits the solar disk.

Might not be exactly what you were looking for...

-the other Doug
mcaplinger
QUOTE (lyford @ Nov 1 2007, 09:36 PM) *
Hmmmmm.... is there something you want to tell us? Any press releases on the horizon so to speak?

Not from me. The highest-res camera still operating at Mars I have anything to do with would produce an image of Earth about 3 pixels across. I've already taken the best one I'm likely to take.
jamescanvin
QUOTE (lyford @ Nov 2 2007, 04:36 AM) *
Hmmmmm.... is there something you want to tell us? Any press releases on the horizon so to speak?laugh.gif

Well I 'm hoping we'll see a release soon. It's been a month since HiRISE looked at us!

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/HiBlog/?p=98

James
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2007, 09:40 PM) *
I've already taken the best one I'm likely to take.

I can't imagine doing better than that any time soon. It was one of my all time favorites from MGS.
lyford
ditto ElkGroveDan! That shot still amazes me. Thanks to the MGS team for such a great legacy....
Stu
If anyone feels like reading a short story based around the NEXT martian "Transit of Earth"...

"Transit Day"
DDAVIS
[quote name='mcaplinger' date='Nov 2 2007, 03:21 AM' post='103197']
I have a vague recollection of seeing some artists' conceptions of Earth as seen from Mars in some book when I was a kid, say 1965-1970.

'Planets'. partially written by Carl Sagan, had a page of imaginary 'observers drawings' a Martian telescopic observer might have made.

Don
elakdawalla
Here's the Amazon link for that title. There also appear to be a few used copies available on Alibris.

--Emily
mcaplinger
QUOTE (DDAVIS @ Nov 2 2007, 02:31 PM) *
'Planets'. partially written by Carl Sagan, had a page of imaginary 'observers drawings' a Martian telescopic observer might have made.

Thanks, Don, that's what I'm remembering. Used to own a copy of that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.