NEAR Shoemaker
Deep Space 1
Hayabusa
Dawn
Rosetta (already ?)

not sure about Stardust ...
climber
"Heureux qui comme Ulysses a fait un beau voyage..."
That's the start of one of the most well know french poem.
Could be traduce (if one can traduce poetry) "Happy like Ulysses who had a nice journey..."
I mean, the real Ulysses didn't cross the Asteroid belt
mps
PhilCo, are you sure about NEAR and Hayabusa? I mean, Eros and Itokawa aren't main belt asteroids, but near earth asteroids. Of course, it depends how do you define 'asteroid belt' in this thread.
tedstryk
Yes, Stardust should be on the list. In fact, 5535 Annefrank is a mainbelt asteroid. Also, Mars-7 sent back significant particle and fields data from the asteroid belt, as well as data of Jovian decametric radiation. MPS - you are right about Eros, but Mathilde, the asteroid NEAR flew by, was a main belt asteroid.
PhilCo126
Indeed, asteroid 253 Mathilde is listed as a main belt asteroid, so NEAR was waltzing Mathilde in the right region for this topic laugh.gif
mps
alright, I didn't know about the close relationship between NEAR and Mathilde smile.gif (It wasn't so easy to follow NASA missions events back in '97, especially in my country wink.gif)
David
Perhaps a distinction can be made between missions to and missions through the asteroid belt. I suppose the latter is more-or-less equivalent to "missions that have crossed Jupiter's orbit".
PhilCo126
253 Mathilde was discovered in 1885 by Johann Palisa. The name is thought to honor the wife of astronomer Moritz Loewy, then the vice director of the Paris Observatory.
253 Mathilde is the largest asteroid to be visited by spacecraft (NEAR in June 1997). It is 52 kilometers in diameter and is approximately four times the size of 951 Gaspra and two times the size of 243 Ida. Ida and Gaspra were visited by the Galileo spacecraft on October 29, 1991 and August 28, 1993 respectively.
Bit strange I don’t find it in the Asteroid listing of “The “Planetary Scientist’s Companion” pages 251-263. It gets a separate page 249
huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.