Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A name for MSL
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mcaplinger
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 19 2008, 11:02 AM) *
Would you rather sit out on the porch grandpa until dinner's ready while we have this chat?

Gee, sorry, I guess you are eligible for this contest.
djellison
Now now children
Enceladus75
Some Suggestions:

Powell
AresLab
Barsoom
Mars Mobilab
Schiparelli
Labrover 1
ilbasso
Elvis. Just to hear the NASA Public Affairs person say at launch, "Elvis has left the building."
Enceladus75
Hmmmm...given the power of the MSL

What about "Predator"?
jekbradbury
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 19 2008, 01:03 PM) *
If it was an inter-galactic rover exploring billions and billions of worlds I'd agree, but since it's going to Mars I have to favor Bradbury.

What a great idea...

- James Bradbury (no relation)
imipak
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 16 2008, 09:19 PM) *
My ideal name would be "Lewis and Clark" but... [...]
My other choices would be "Prospector", "Seeker" and my current fave, "Pilgrim".

Prospector's been used; "Seeker"? seems a little... banal? And "pilgrim" has unfortunate religious connotations I suspect. ("Predator" definitely has overly-controversial associations IMO. Oh dear, looks like Doctor Negativity is paying a house call... sorry laugh.gif )

"Lewis and Clark" works for me, but apart from the objection Stu mentioned - a couple of old friends who worked on the post-production SFX for "Event Horizon" might jump to the wrong conclusion. (Random coincidence: they shared a flat with a guy who did a lot of the CGI for that BBC "The Planets" series.)

Having finally got around to reading some of his books, "Feynman" appeals to me; but his field was at the other end of the magnitudes scale. There's an asteroid, "7495 Feynman", but no surface features or spacecraft, AFAIK?
nprev
It's my ONLY hope at immortality: Nuclear-Powered Roving Exploration Vehicle... tongue.gif

Just to throw in a long-shot, how about "Heinlein"? Red Planet surely inspired a lot of kids & teens in the 50s ("Willis" has a nice ring too, but it'd never fly...would have been more appropriate for the bouncy MERs or PF.)
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 19 2008, 09:14 AM) *
... The contest is being run by Disney, so a dignified and appropriate name is practically guaranteed. unsure.gif

OMG! I can only hope it will be something like Goofy, rather than My Little Mermaid. If I had to choose from among the suggestions posted here that are ineligible for the contest, I'd vote for Gort or NPREV. wink.gif
MahFL
What about the female explorer.... Alexandrine Tinne (1835-1869)

""But none rises higher in my estimation than the Dutch lady, Miss Tinne, who after the severest domestic afflictions, nobly persevered in the teeth of every difficulty." - Dr. Livingstone, explorer and missionary."

Gonzz
Since it's powered by a RTG, why not use the name Curie

djellison
Marie Curie is already the name of a Rover. Sadly, it's the Sojourner spare that was taken off the '01 lander design for PHX.

Doug
peter59
QUOTE (Enceladus75 @ Nov 19 2008, 09:00 PM) *
Hmmmm...given the power of the MSL

My suggestion is "Goliath".
ElkGroveDan
I've been saying those wheels are the size of small beer kegs. Maybe they should name it after Charlie Mops.

(...and as far as I can tell he's not a living person Mike)
dvandorn
Along the beer keg line, we could use the following ditty as a mission theme:

"Ninety-nine samples of rock on the ground,
Ninety-nine samples of rock!
Shoot one down,
Sniff all around,
Ninety-eight samples of rock on the ground..."

laugh.gif

-the other Doug
PFK
QUOTE (Enceladus75 @ Nov 19 2008, 08:53 PM) *
AresLab

I missread that badly at first glance! laugh.gif
Aelita would get my vote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aelita
PhilCo126
BIS Spaceflight magazine has time sequence photos of the MSL wheels drop test and names the vehicle "Scarecrow"
djellison
Scarecrow is the name of that mobility test vehicle - as it has no brain (like the scarecrow in wizard of oz)
SFJCody
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 16 2008, 08:19 PM) *
My ideal name would be "Lewis and Clark"

The names "Lewis" and "Clark" were used for two ill-fated Earth observation missions.
elakdawalla
Yeah, those were proposed by a huge percentage of the entrants in to the MER name the rover contest, and disqualified for that reason. Two names from the same exploration mission -- Sacagawea and York -- survived into the final round. I kind of like "Sacagawea". One can sort of see the RTG as her papoose...though I can say from experience that a papoose is more likely to steal energy than it is to provide it!

--Emily
Phil Stooke
Tsk, Emily - didn't you tell us not to refer to that portion of her anatomy?

Phil
elakdawalla
*sigh* it's really kind of hard to ignore!
Doc
I think we have to try and reaquire some 9 year old imagination to get a good name 4 the rover. I do hope they chose a simple name, greek names are wearing me out! How about Strider (from lord of the rings); majestic, kingly, untiring, it fits!
elakdawalla
Actually 9-year-olds can be quite serious. It's the 13- to 15-year-olds who come up with the silly stuff. Including my hands-down favorite pair of proposed names for the Mars Exploration Rovers: "Taco" and "Chalupa." Even better than the names themselves was the proposer's essay:
I think that the Rovers should be given these names for numerous reasons. For one thing, Taco and Chalupa are perhaps the coolest words ever. The other main reason is that Mexicans have never gone to space and would probably love to have the Rovers named after something they created. It would also make me very happy, because Taco is my favorite word, and I use it instead of "hello". Thank you for your time,
An obvious corollary to the essay's thesis is that "Chalupa" means "goodbye."

More silly stuff from the MER naming contest here.

--Emily
nprev
laugh.gif ...yep, the brain chemistry definitely does change during adolescence, doesn't it?
djellison
It doesn't change - it just goes AWOL for 5 years smile.gif
nprev
It also tends to vaporize in middle age for males, but the usual effect is buying a sports car, not generating goofy names for Mars rovers...oh, wait... rolleyes.gif
stewjack
I bet someone else already thought of this one "Rover 3.0" It will get the geek vote. laugh.gif

I really like Ramble-On Rover. It indicates rover continuity like Rover 3.0, and hints at greater distances provided by the power pak. It's a Rover that's always ON. rolleyes.gif

Not that I intend to submit either of them.

Jack
vmcgregor
QUOTE (ilbasso @ Nov 19 2008, 11:58 AM) *
Elvis. Just to hear the NASA Public Affairs person say at launch, "Elvis has left the building."

LOL! laugh.gif That would make for an interesting personality on the twitter feed too!

centsworth_II
Wall-E grew up and became Wall-TER. (Wheeled all-Terrain Exploratory Rover)

Click to view attachment
Original MSL image: http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/HiBlog/?p=131
algorimancer
I rather like insect names, considering the RTG appearance. Dragonfly or (better) Firefly would be good, except for its being flightless. Perhaps a write-in campaign from the Josh Whedon fans would make a difference smile.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Nov 27 2008, 11:02 AM) *
I rather like insect names, considering the RTG appearance....

Devil's coach horse.
Click to view attachment
BrianL
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Nov 27 2008, 10:02 AM) *
I rather like insect names, considering the RTG appearance. Dragonfly or (better) Firefly would be good, except for its being flightless. Perhaps a write-in campaign from the Josh Whedon fans would make a difference smile.gif

I'm all for calling it Buffy the Rock Slayer. laugh.gif
Hungry4info
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Nov 27 2008, 10:37 AM) *

Wow, that looks a LOT like MSL! laugh.gif
BrianL
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Nov 27 2008, 02:46 PM) *
Wow, that looks a LOT like MSL! laugh.gif

Maybe if SkyCrane ™ doesn't work. wink.gif
Oersted
Call me boring, but.... "Explorer" sounds fine to me.
Hungry4info
QUOTE (Oersted @ Jan 2 2009, 07:35 PM) *
Call me boring, but.... "Explorer" sounds fine to me.

I still like "MSL" smile.gif
sci44
If Mike Griffin *really* wants to keep in with the oncoming president, he should name it "Obama", or "Barack, the Rock Crusher".
Not so sure about "Hussein" though..
smile.gif (ducks)
Stu
Well, seeing as the ************ thing is everywhere and there's no escape from it, I guess there's only one name to go with...

Click to view attachment

ohmy.gif tongue.gif
ElkGroveDan
I've always been fond of Vespucci as an explorer.
sci44
Ok, so far on this thread we have:-

Eureka!, Innovation, Leviathan, Invincible, MUV, Sir, Monster, Lulu, Marvin, Machismo, Mayflower, Muscle, Missile, Hope, Canyonero, Lewis&Clark, Prospector, Seeker, Pilgrim, Sagan, Lowell, Schiaparelli, Burroughs, Wells, Intimidator, Goofy, Bradbury, Gort, ChuckNorris, Powell, AresLab, Barsoom, Mobilab, Schiparelli, Labrover1, Elvis, Predator, Feynman, Nprev, Tinne, Curie, Goliath, Mops, Aelita, Scarecrow, Sacagawea, York, Strider, Taco, Chalupa, Rover3.0, Wall-TER, Dragonfly, Firefly, Devil's coach horse, Buffy, Explorer, MSL, Obama, Barack, MammaMia, Vespucci.

I will chuck in Endeavor, Dauntless, Enterprise, Mettle, Resolve, Venture, Holst, and for fun, Trogdor.

Perhaps we should run a sweepstake? smile.gif

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (sci44 @ Jan 3 2009, 11:39 AM) *
Perhaps we should run a sweepstake? smile.gif

I'll find a polite way to predict what Doug will say: Ummmmm.........no.
djellison
Seconded.
stevesliva
Just call it Tim.
nprev
I keep telling you guys: Nuclear-Powered Roving Exploration Vehicle is the only choice! tongue.gif

sci44
QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 4 2009, 06:19 AM) *
I keep telling you guys: Nuclear-Powered Roving Exploration Vehicle is the only choice! tongue.gif

Or (looking at your icon) Binary Electronic Nuclear-Device Exploration Rover!

You can bite my shiny metal.. smile.gif

PS - I would seriously nominate Holst, to commemorate the finest piece of music composed for Mars.
dvandorn
I'm just waiting for someone to target a rover mission to one of the Martian caves that's been discovered in orbital imagery. Then it can be the Off-Track Heat Engine Rover Doing Observations Under Ground... rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug
mps
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jan 5 2009, 03:23 AM) *
Off-Track Heat Engine Rover Doing Observations Under Ground...

Too long for a good acronym, and as MSL will explore relatively flat terrains, I would propose Martian Plains Surveyor (or Mars Plains Surveyor).
Seriously, I think I will always prefer the original name - MSL.
DEChengst
Calimero. Because Mars is big and MSL is small and that's not fair...
stevo
Is it not called Bruce, then?
That's going to be a bit confusing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.