Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You know you're an UMSFer... redux
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
dvandorn
OK, I'm feeling quite guilty about this, so I need to pull its thorns.

There is a hurricane building in the Gulf of Mexico, just swept a path of devastation across the western tip of Cuba. It has the potential to be a more powerful and damaging storm than Katrina of three years ago, and may also strike New Orleans.

It's name is Gustav.

And whenever I hear or see that name, a little correction voice in my head says "Don't you mean Gusev?"

Like I say -- feeling guilty about that, but there it is...

-the other Doug
nprev
Ah, don't feel bad, oDoug. You'll know you're a UMSFer if a major hurricane heads for the east coast of Florida later this year & all you'll care about is whether they can destack & shelter LRO in time. (You'd know that you were hard-core if you also lived in Cocoa Beach... tongue.gif )
Astro0
Although we're not facing Gustav at the moment, it's blowing a gale here with icy sleet in Canberra at the moment.
I'm at my desk at the DSN, the wind is blowing at 55km/h and the temperature has dropped to 2.6C.

You know that you're a UMSF'er when you're working on a Sunday...been talking with the public all day about Mars...been watching 2 big antenna dishes tracking Mars Odyssey and MRO...plus relay with Phoenix...and all you want to do is race home and log in to see all the latest images and news. wacko.gif

Astro0
dmuller
Well the thing that created Gusev wasn't a light breeze either ... or a sand corn ...
And Astro0, glad you can still use Earthly units ... wonder if we'd all understood it if you'd said that the wind is blowing at 15.3 m/s dd.gif
I myself been working (non-UMSF) until 4am on Sat, and will do so again on Sun, so I have a clear head to do the Dawn realtime simulation on Sunday in the day ...
volcanopele
You know you're an UMSFer... when you hear about a major hurricane, you search in vain for high resolution satellite imagery of it so you can go mosaicking...
djellison
You know you're a UMSF'er when you know where to go for the high res imagery people are looking for.

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/ - specifically http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=USA7 - cunningly they pre-mosaic it into regional subsets. But if you just go to 'realtime' then you can find the raw swaths.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecir.html is also a good wider-angle tracking tool

I am scared half to death for New Orleans this time around. There are swathes of the place still no recovered and this sounds like it could be even worse.
Stu
I have to admit I have an "UMSF Moment" countless times a day. A simple crack in a paving stone will remind me of a dried up valley or gully seen on an MGS or MRO image, or a gravel-strewn path will remind me of those first Phoenix images... a casual glance up at wispy clouds in the sky on the way to or from work zips me back to animations of clouds over Endurance Crater...

And a look at an 'official' pic on a NASA website will more than often make me think - unfairly, I know - "Humph, James or (insert name) at UMSF did better than that..." smile.gif
J.J.
You know you're an UMSFer when you see a hopelessly grainy Luna 3 image and think, "I wonder what Tedstryk could do with this?"

wink.gif
belleraphon1
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 31 2008, 07:22 AM) *
I have to admit I have an "UMSF Moment" countless times a day. A simple crack in a paving stone will remind me of a dried up valley or gully seen on an MGS or MRO image, or a gravel-strewn path will remind me of those first Phoenix images... a casual glance up at wispy clouds in the sky on the way to or from work zips me back to animations of clouds over Endurance Crater...

And a look at an 'official' pic on a NASA website will more than often make me think - unfairly, I know - "Humph, James or (insert name) at UMSF did better than that..." smile.gif

Stu... I know I am an UMSFer because I've had those moments all my life and now have someplace to express it.... this forum.

Craig
dmuller
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 31 2008, 10:22 PM) *
A simple crack in a paving stone will remind me ...

Hey Stu, you should stay at our house then. It's virtually like Mars ... cracks in all walls (the landlord doesnt want to fix it) which get worse every winter, dust-storm views (windows are dirty because of the construction next door), I guess the CO2 ice can be fixed. The only thing that's not Mars like is the TV reception - all grainy n stuff - no sharp pictures from MRO
ElkGroveDan
...when you check for the latest posts on your Blackberry while waiting for a haircut.
Del Palmer
Yesterday, I spent three very pleasant hours walking eight dogs (and got paid for it!), and read a science paper on dark matter and 22 pages of the Cassini ISS handbook on my palmtop during the outing. Does that qualify me as a UMSFer? wink.gif

djellison
Well - reports are it's being turned down to a Cat 2..

Still looks damn scary
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets...08244.terra.1km

tasp
On hazy days it is pretty easy to imagine some of the local hills here to be crater walls. I also note shadows of jet aircraft contrails to be similar to some of the shadow phenomena of the Saturnian rings. A nearby bluff was very handy for picturing in the minds eye ring particles interacting with a fixed obstruction on the surface of the body they are orbiting.

We get a few dust devils this time of year, too, and I am expecting them to look decidedly Martian this time around . . .

AndyG
I like visualising the rovers' travels by finding real-world scale equivalents.

Luckily, my short trips from Airdrie, Scotland, to the nearish-by Lochend Loch bear an uncanny resemblance to Opportunity's route so far. There, I can feed the ducks and think of Duck Bay, at a hole in the ground whose size is not a bad match for Victoria.

(With an additional dash of delicious irony, this places purgatory somewhere near Coatbridge town centre.) laugh.gif

Andy
Ant103
Sometimes, when I walk through the forest to go to my fine-arts school (yes, where I live, there is some trees), and I have named this way "path for Spirit" in remember it's glorious time while climb Husband Hill wink.gif because it's full of various-sized cobbles and tilted. Some outcrops I have here (limestone) remember me some Oppy's outcrops.

Oh, and I can coming back from a trip without taken a full 360 color pan of the "landing site" biggrin.gif.
climber
Here, in the South west of France, we've been hitten this week-end by a big storm. Lot of trees down, still lot of people without electricity, telephone, etc.
and, true, I didn't have any news from Spirit (from Scott blog) ... on Sol 20 & 21
If THIS is not a sign of been a UMSFer...!!!
centsworth_II
You know you're an UMSFer...

...if you log in frequently enough to see this on a regular basis. (weekends can be slow)
Click to view attachment
ngunn
Aah - - but if you go in via the UMSF portal you don't have that problem! All of today's posts come up every time. Then, if there are no new ones, you can always read the old ones over again. Better still, you don't even have to log in first. ph34r.gif
Astro0
You know you're a UMSF'er.....

When you start seeing rovers everywhere!
Click to view attachment

I glanced over at my screen looking at our public car park at the Canberra DSN and did a double take at the shadow at the bottom left.
Anyone else spotted a rover where it shouldn't be?

PS: The shadow is a lamp post. wink.gif But I had to look twice blink.gif
dmuller
well the shadow on the right look a bit like the Lunar Module (LM) of the Apollo missions. And the two dark spots above the "rover cam" could well be Pathfinder and a copy of it which the Martians have been trying to build.

EDIT: Astro0 ... how many years have you been working there by now? And it only just appeared? rolleyes.gif
Astro0
Seven years at the Complex, but the lamp post was only put in last year. First time the shadows have fallen that way. It just caught my eye today.
dmuller
was only put in last year. First time the shadows have fallen that way.
... then it's not a rover, its ... Phoenix!
ElkGroveDan
A couple of years back, an invasive weed spread through my back lawn forming a circular pattern 10 feet wide that looked exactly like Erebus crater. I pondered getting on the roof for an overhead photo, but thought you would all run me out of this place if I posted it. Now I'm sorry I didn't capture it.

When Doug was visiting Elk Grove I took him past a raised corner lot that had been cut back for a street widening and it looks a lot like Home Plate, even at a similar scale. Doug agreed, even though it was now starting to be covered with weeds and grass.
Phil Stooke
You know you're a UMSFer when... you push a load of spluttering pigs out of the way to get to the computer?

Phil
ElkGroveDan
You keep your computer with your pigs?
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 6 2009, 05:19 PM) *
You keep your computer with your pigs?

Maybe this should be in the "Revenge of the Mars Widows" thread.
Phil Stooke
"You keep your computer with your pigs?"

They're all on Facebook. Not to mention Trotter.

Phil
lollipop
You know you're an UMSFer when, having never seen one before, you correctly identify a cantaloupe because of its resemblance to Triton....
dmuller
You know you're an UMSFer when ... you live in a place like Mars (Sydney, Australia on 23Sep): http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/23/2693643.htm and http://www.news.com.au/gallery/0,23607,506...5007150,00.html

dmuller
You know you're an UMSFer when ... you live in a place like Mars (Sydney, Australia on 23Sep): http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/23/2693643.htm and http://www.news.com.au/gallery/0,23607,506...5007150,00.html

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (dmuller @ Sep 22 2009, 05:14 PM) *
You know you're an UMSFer when ... you live in a place like Mars (Sydney, Australia on 23Sep):

That must be awful when it gets in your Vegemite, mate.
nprev
Bleah...I can almost feel that nasty stuff between my teeth! Good luck, you guys, and seal up every crack in your homes that you can...it gets literally everywhere.
dmuller
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 23 2009, 10:35 AM) *
That must be awful when it gets in your Vegemite, mate.

I don't like Vegemite ... well maybe now I do.

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 23 2009, 11:01 AM) *
and seal up every crack in your homes that you can...it gets literally everywhere.

Yeah ... had the window to my office open overnight. Will be cleaning for the rest of the day!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.