Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 40th annual meeting of the Division for Planetary Sciences of the American Astronomical Society
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
Airbag
Just in case you had not already seen it via Emily's blog, all the sessions for the 40th annual meeting of the Division for Planetary Sciences of the American Astronomical Society will have live web streaming. You can thank Jim Bell for that free and open access (again!).

Friday October 10 to Wednesday October 15, 2008.

Airbag
Hungry4info
Should be starting rather soon.
belleraphon1

Last night I lost my internet connection!!!!!!! This morning I had to hurry and swap out the modem with my internet provider just in time to catch the last 30 minutes of Exoplanets I

THIS IS SO COOL....... can hardly wait for the Enceladus session at 2:30 today and tomorrows Titan session 23!!

Only down side is it is a gorgeous autumn day here in Ohio, USA... but I'll just wait until 4:00pm to take my hike.

Craig
scalbers
I had to turn my sound way up but otherwise this is pretty neat. Drizzly cool weather in Colorado today - good for living room conference attending...

I also note the live dynamical classification session is showing up in the Enceladus link for some reason (and vice versa).
belleraphon1
The Enceladus session has started... it is indeed labeled as the dynamical session...

Craig
volcanopele
ahh looks like they mixed up the urls, thanks for the heads up.
volcanopele
hmm, didn't realize I was a co-author on that first Enceladus talk...
belleraphon1
I should note that sessions already completed are available for viewing. Am watching this mornings Mars surface session now.

Craig
ngunn
Yes, I've been watching extrasolar planets on and off this evening. How long will the presenations remain available? I don't know, but it's great while it lasts.
ugordan
I'm very impressed by the whole concept and layout of the streaming so far. Immediate access to all slides in higher resolution in addition to video of actual presentation, ability to go forward and backward to certain slides with the presentation immediately jumping to that time point, having past sessions archived - amazing. Add to this the fact this is the first time I'm able to see what it's like at DPS and I can only hope all future conferences (at least DPS) will be streamed the same way.

Kudos to all those who made this possible.
Juramike
The ability to see highest-quality science and hang out in my pajamas munching a waffle is priceless.

[EDIT: There is one downer, I can't see the fresh slides during the presentaton. I keep having to hit "refresh" from time to time. So I either see the presentation, or the past slides, but not the current slide.]
volcanopele
Discussion of the Titan lakes talks has been moved to: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=5544
rdale
Sessions 7 and 26 were interesting and aimed a little more at the general public than a true planetary scientist...
belleraphon1
This is a lay spacer's dream...a wonderful experience. Priceless indeed.

Thanks to Cornell and DPS for doing this.

Craig
ngunn
I'd like to add my voice to that. This is hugely appreciated.
djellison
smile.gif Pete Smith just used Astro0's 'Phoenix Attempts another sample delivery' image biggrin.gif GREAT response smile.gif
SFJCody
As great as this DPS feed is (and it is great!) it's maddening not being able to use firefox or opera.
djellison
Safari works perfectly here.
ugordan
Firefox works pretty well for me too, except for one time when the slides stopped being refreshed automatically and the volume slider appears to only work up.
Juramike
For dealing with Firefox, I found a partial solution.

Open two Firefox windows: one window is for the presentation, the other window is for viewing slides. You will have to refresh often during the talk and browse the slides. (And you will need to mute the audio for the slide viewing or you'll get an echo effect.)

It wasn't pretty, but it worked for me.

-Mike
stevesliva
I use ietab within firefox.
volcanopele
I've put up a few blog posts on the Io and Titan talks, as well as the fun of NASA night, on my blog:

http://gishbar.blogspot.com/
ngunn
And very interesting they are. I'm a regular visitor. It reminds me that I used to follow 'Titan Today' before I found this place - as a result of you mentioning it. What a lot I owe to that moment!
CosmicRocker
It may be old news to some, but I just found the link to the archived webcasts of this meeting.
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 9 2009, 04:01 PM) *
old news to some

Thanks CR, a good chance to revisit a few talks that looked v interesting! (And thanks to people like Jim Bell).
imipak
There goes my weekend... Looks like the weatherboard will have to paint itself, after all. Thanks for posting that, CosmicRocker!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.