Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 30th Anniversary of the Voyager 1 Flyby of Jupiter
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Jupiter
Pages: 1, 2
volcanopele
Today marks the 30th anniversary of Voyager 1's flyby of Jupiter. On March 5, 1979, Voyager 1 flew through the Jupiter system providing a wealth of information of Jupiter, its magnetic field, and moons. Thanks to Voyager 1, the Galilean satellites became worlds with real geology and amazing vistas. Voyager 1 also revealed Jupiter's ring system and Io's volcanism for the first time.

I've written up a longer post about the encounter with Io on my blog, which also has an animation of the flyby: http://gishbar.blogspot.com/2009/03/30th-a...1-flyby-of.html
volcanopele
There was an earlier thread on this subject a couple years back with a few great link about the discovery of active volcanism on Io:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...c=3855&st=0
http://www.planetary.org/explore/topics/sp...ries_kelly.html
http://eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2...80/1f/8f/7c.pdf
Ian R
Here's the official JPL visulization of the Voyager 1 flyby; a contempory computer animation by Jim Blinn with satellite textures by Rick Sternbach (who later went on to work on Star Trek):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8...45219&hl=en

If anyone has a better quality version of this vintage clip, I'd love to obtain a copy.

Ian.
volcanopele
In commemoration of this 30th anniversary of the discovery of volcanism on Io, I have finally finished the Voyager 1 southern hemisphere mosaic of Io that I started last year (though I lost the original project files sad.gif ). But that's okay, nothing a little Saturday project can't fix:

http://gishbar.blogspot.com/2009/03/voyage...ere-mosaic.html

Here is the URL to the full-size image: http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/%7Eperry/io...ole_mosaic2.png
volcanopele
Of course, no sooner do I write "though I lost the original project files", that I find them in a dark, scary corner of my hard drive. Meh, this version is a lot better...and is ACTUALLY controlled to the USGS basemap. Which wasn't easy, some of the support for Voyager images in ISIS is broken. I think I had to perform some human sacrifices to the ISIS gods to get this to look nice...
Astro0
That's astounding and outstanding!

The visually smooth surface with these amazing mountains/volcanoes poking out, and then these ancient calderas and flow features.
What a place!

Do yourself a favour everyone and download volcanopele's full-size file and go exploring the surface of another world. smile.gif
volcanopele
Thanks, astro0!

I've gone ahead and posted a version of that mosaic with the Masubi and Pele plumes added in there (required a bit of special processing in addition to the reprojecting of all the images in that mosaic, as well as my thoughts on this, the 30th anniversary of the discovery of volcanism on Io, on the blog:

http://gishbar.blogspot.com/2009/03/30th-a...scovery-of.html
climber
Thanks Jason, it brings back old memories.
I first watched "your" IO flight by images and thought "well, I'm sure it's not what I did see at this time on tv"...and I was right when I sew pre fligh by Official images afterwards.
This was a the first truly Jupiter system exploration and IO has been the bigger surprise.
You know what? I had my first car driving course (I was 18) on the very same day Pionner 10 launched to Jupiter (March 3rd 1972) but unfortunately neither Pionner 10 nor 11 showed us such pictures of Jupiter system.
Thanks again for your thread...and we're going back again there, don't we?...I'll be over 70 by then rolleyes.gif
lyford
This is truly wonderful, thank you.
volcanopele
Wow, this is fun for me too, digging through these old images.

One thing I was shocked to find was incredible images of the Masubi flows field from Voyager 1 :-O Masubi is a semi-persistent plume active along Io's largest active flows around 45 South, 55 West. Now, I always thought our best images were in the 8-10 km range, but I was definitely mistaken. Just found a WAC image showing the Masubi flows field at ~4-5 km/pixel.
nprev
The mosaic is beautiful work, Jason; thank you!!!

I'll never forget Mar 5, 1979. The first closeup Io images were just coming in on PBS as I was getting ready to leave for school (sophmore year of HS)...my jaw dropped as a picture formed line-by-line of a fluid outflow pattern of some sort, with Sagan exclaiming 'Oh, wow!' or words to that effect off-camera. Then I had to bolt to school, dammit.
volcanopele
Wow, this actually only has a resolution of 2.02 km/pixel. This framelet shows the Masubi flow field and the plume deposit that surrounds the source region. It almost looks like that the main V-shaped flow is disconnected from the rest of Masubi Fluctus. Not sure if this is an artifact of the plume deposit cutting across it or not.
Juramike
Beautiful work!
Decepticon
The first closeup Io images were just coming in on PBS

Are these available somewhere online? My searches have come up empty.

I would love to see this.
tedstryk
I have been meaning to take a crack at trying to recover some of the underexposed and smeared frames. Jason, that mosaic is spectacular.
nprev
QUOTE (Decepticon @ Mar 9 2009, 05:47 AM) *
Are these available somewhere online?

IIRC, there was some discussion on the forum of whatever happened to the PBS Voyager coverage a year or two ago, and the outlook did not look favorable for their survival; I've never found anything either. (I know; I'd love to watch it, too! sad.gif )
dvandorn
I do own (I think, I haven't cataloged in a long time) two different VHS videotapes labeled "Neptune All Night" which contain the live PBS coverage of the 1989 Neptune encounter by Voyager 2.

I have no idea whether it would even be legal (PBS copyrights, etc.) for me to try and convert these tapes into a digital format and upload them. And like I say, I've moved a couple of times since the last time I can guarantee that I saw those tapes. But I'll look around, see what I can find in my videotape boxes. (I don't even keep them on shelves anymore...)

-the other Doug
Decepticon
two different VHS videotapes labeled "Neptune All Night" which contain the live PBS coverage of the 1989 Neptune encounter by Voyager 2.

Now that I remember! It was jaw dropping!

Kinda sad about the tapes. mellow.gif
volcanopele
Okay, finished up with those three mosaics (two high resolution NAC mosaics, and a more global scale WAC mosaic showing some terrain in the low-res gap in the USGS basemap):

http://gishbar.blogspot.com/2009/03/taking...r-1-images.html
mhoward
Wow. The detail along the terminator is mind-blowing.
volcanopele
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Mar 9 2009, 05:48 PM) *
I do own (I think, I haven't cataloged in a long time) two different VHS videotapes labeled "Neptune All Night" which contain the live PBS coverage of the 1989 Neptune encounter by Voyager 2.

I have no idea whether it would even be legal (PBS copyrights, etc.) for me to try and convert these tapes into a digital format and upload them.

Don't worry about it. Neptune All Night is already on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...ptune+All+Night
PhilCo126
PBS coverage of all Voyager milestones is still available (check eBay) ph34r.gif
Ian R
Great work Jason - the mosaics are wonderful!

Here's a contemporary interview with Linda Morabito, who was first to spot the volcanic plumes on Io:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1lp1LXRjRE#t=2m4s&fmt=6
volcanopele
Thanks, Ian. I knew I had seen that somewhere...I just couldn't remember where. turns out I have that show as an AVI file on my HDD.

BTW, I just got done with my last blog post on this topic:

http://gishbar.blogspot.com/2009/03/final-...er-1-at-io.html
Decepticon
One thing that stands out so much with these old videos is much images where over saturated.

Io looks so red!
belleraphon1
Stunning mosaic Jason...

wow.... you know Io (and the entire Voyager 1 Jupiter encounter) broke down the old paradigms. We had never seen ACTIVE volcanoes on another world until the Voyager 1 Io encounter.

I too remember that PBS broadcast.... I believe it was Harold Masursky who sat there thrilled almost beyond words.
Watching from home I was ecstatic. It was a whole new universe out there beckoning.

Craig
tedstryk
Am I correct in assuming the images that look like smeared images that were steady for part of the exposure were cases of the scan platform moving during the exposure?
Ken90000
I believe that radiation caused a glitch on Voyager 1's spacecraft timer. Therefore, the scan platform was slewing during exposure for some of the images.
machi
High resolution mosaic from Voyager 1. Resolution is around 3.5 km/pix. Color is from CH4_JS, clear and orange filter.
4th rock from the sun
Nice! Its something new from Voyager, at least for me.
tasp
I really appreciate this thread as 30 years ago I totally missed the Voyager 1 Jupiter encounter. I had signed up for the Eclipse over Big Sky Country and was in Montana enjoying the Huntley Lodge and watching the last total solar eclipse visible from the continental US till 2017. The eclipse was grand and a lifetime memorable event, and it was just about the only thing that could have kept me from watching the Jupiter spectacular.

I was surprised shortly after the trip to note Time magazine had covered the flyby and the eclipse in the same issue. There were roughly 400 eclipse chasers in the Eclipse Bus Caravan (LOL) and we wound up watching from just west of Roundup, Montana. The trip organizers had access to weather satellite imagery (I have no idea how they did this in 1979) and managed to put the Eclipse Bus Caravan under a break in the clouds as the eclipse passed over us. We did have some high altitude haze, but it actually enhanced the view.

To make up for missing the Voyager encounter I ordered every 35mm slide set I could find and bought a slide projector. Much more handy to have the enhanced pictures here at UMSF.

Thanx!

tedstryk
Great work! If I might suggest something, flat fielding the images would get rid of the bright corners in the images.
elakdawalla
What do you use for a Voyager flat field, Ted?
DrShank
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 19 2009, 10:03 PM) *
What do you use for a Voyager flat field, Ted?

um actually not always. I use the standard calibration flat fields in ISIS and sometimes the corner flares persisted.
The VGR vidicon usually but not always obeyed its own rules. In that case I just crop the corner. Image calibration is not always
a 1-2-3 procedure!
JohnVV
I really appreciate this thread as 30 years ago I totally missed the Voyager 1 Jupiter encounter.

i did not quite miss it but i was 12 . What i remember is I was sitting in the auditorium of the Modem Languages Building at U of M for Jim Loudon's AstroFest . I think i was one of the youngest there for the voyager 1 and 2 encounters .
machi
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 20 2009, 03:36 AM) *
Great work! If I might suggest something, flat fielding the images would get rid of the bright corners in the images.

Thanks!
I used only the dark frame subtract from these images. Flat fields (which I have) cause partially destruction of the details. Normally I use the images from dark side of Neptune or Saturn. Yesterday I downloaded the plaque images, but I don't see any advances over the dark side images. Maybe the problem is in the setup, so I'm still trying new procedures.
ugordan
QUOTE (machi @ Nov 20 2009, 11:32 AM) *
ThankFlat fields (which I have) cause partially destruction of the details.

That doesn't sound right. They should only affect vignetting, dust rings, and other static noise (differences in sensitivity, etc.) in the instrument. Do you mean the introduce even more noise into the images? When you say you use images of Saturn/Neptune dark sides, how do you get a flatfield out of them?
machi
QUOTE (ugordan @ Nov 20 2009, 12:29 PM) *
That doesn't sound right. They should only affect vignetting, dust rings, and other static noise (differences in sensitivity, etc.) in the instrument. Do you mean the introduce even more noise into the images? When you say you use images of Saturn/Neptune dark sides, how do you get a flatfield out of them?

The dark side images are for the dark frames (but in the past, I was experimenting with some adjustment in brightness level, inverting images and so on, and applicating this like flatfield). Flatfields (from the plaque images) don't introduce more noise. They correct images, but too much! Faint details are gone. Maybe I'm working with wrong images, so I'm experimenting with setup and different images. For now, I'm still not satisfied with the results.
4th rock from the sun
Tho have good results in image calibration, you should use a master flat field, composed of an average of many many individual flat field images (dozens).
The same goes for the dark fields. Also, don't forget the bias fields that are necessary to prevent introducing noise in the process. Everything should be processed in at least a 16bit depth to prevent any data loss.
tedstryk
I use different dark frames and flat fields for different parts of the mission - it isn't consistent, and I do some other black magic to cut down on detail destruction. It doesn't perfectly fix the corners, but it does subdue it somewhat. I also convert everything to 16 bit before beginning any processing. This cuts down on detail destruction as well.
machi
Io shadow on Jupiter (and interesting clouds). Resolution is around 9.7 km/pix. Color is from CH4_JS, orange and violet filter. Finally I found good flatfield image, so It's flatfielded.
machi
Callisto colorised mosaic. Mosaic is composed from nine NAC images and color information from WAC images (blue, orange and clear filter). Voyager 1 distance from Callisto approximately 326 000 km. Resolution is 3 km/pix.
machi
Maasaw Patera from Voyager 1. Colorised from WAC images (violet, orange) and clear NAC images.
tedstryk
NICE!!!
nprev
Damn straight! That's beautiful, Machi.
machi
Thanks!

Here is another mosaic from Voyager 1 Io flyby.
Image processing same as on the previous image. Only difference is application of the desmearing deconvolution on left image in mosaic (this one was seriously smeared).
DrShank
from the forthcoming "Atlas of the Galilean Satellites", which i need to blog about real soon!

paul

nprev
Slurp. Drool. Salivate. tongue.gif
lyford
Images like that are why the acronym OMFG were invented....
machi
Io's paterae at 360 m/pix from Voyager 1.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.