Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting Unstuck in West Valley
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Spirit
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
dot.dk
Movement tosol?

CODE
01913 p1214.05 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_ultimate_4_bpp
01913 p1254.00 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_fault_pri15_4bpp
01913 p1314.00 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_haz_ultimate_4bpp_pri15
01913 p1354.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    rear_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp
01913 p1809.04 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_1x1_visodom_LOCO_pri_15
01913 p1840.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_10x1_az_252_bin27_29_1_bpp
01913 p2601.03 0   0   0   0   0   0    pancam_tau_L78R48
      Total    4   0   0   0   0   4
Pertinax
QUOTE (marsophile @ May 20 2009, 03:55 PM) *
If it is possible to partially close the dust cover, this may be another way to achieve a higher f-stop.

To keep my Galaxy Quest theme going -- "Digitize me Fred! Digitize me!"

I have to give it you you, I thought over the rover body and could think of nothing that would work where it would be useful, but the dust cover never crossed my mind -- to be honest I had forgotten about it.

Great thinking -- even if it can't be done, it was a good thought.

-- Pertinax
RoverDriver
Over in one of the Opportunity threads there was a question on the status of the Sandbox testing. Unfortunately there is no testing going on yet. One of the disk arrays on a server that is used by the testbed has died. Restoration of the server is in progress, but I do not have an ETA yet.

One things MER has taught me is patience. I think I have to go back to my notebook and read that page again. Somehow in my head the words "grass" and "grow" get intermingled with "paint" and "dry". =:-O

Paolo
nprev
Paolo, I advise you to begin drinking heavily. (Of course, that's my advice for everybody...) rolleyes.gif

A server crash at this time, huh? The perversity of the Universe never ceases to amaze. You're right, though: patience is the only answer.
Astro0
Patience - thy name is technological meltdown laugh.gif
ElkGroveDan
If you can't use the sandbox at work Paolo, there are plenty of parks nearby. Just remember to be careful to check for sand piles where cats may have visited the night before.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 21 2009, 08:55 AM) *
If you can't use the sandbox at work Paolo, there are plenty of parks nearby. Just remember to be careful to check for sand piles where cats may have visited the night before.

Oh, the sandbox is ready. It has been ready for a couple of days now. It is the testbed that is not operational.

Paolo
BrianL
And here I thought those were two interchangeable terms for the same thing.
Deimos
QUOTE (marsophile @ May 20 2009, 08:55 PM) *
If it is possible to partially close the dust cover, this may be another way to achieve a higher f-stop.

Hmm, you have a ~1 mm aperture stop, and are trying to stop it down from about 20 mm in front of it (14 mm inside the camera, and maybe 6 to 12 between the window and the partially closed cover edge--which pivots out from the window). That sounds like a recipe for vignetting, rather than sharpening.
marsophile
I am not an expert on optics, but it seems to me that blocking part of the visual field will mean that there are fewer light rays that are convolved with the remaining part of the field in an out-of-focus image, which might sharpen the resulting image. [Just realized: the rays that are convolved are mostly from nearby features so blocking won't really help.]
MerAB
Here a panorama from Spirit on Sol 1913:

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 1913 panorama, with a DD toward the plains of Gusev.

Beauford
EDIT: For what the 'real' ISIL will use for its soil testing...I'd say that they have that well in-hand and will come up with a perfect match based on the data they get from the Rover's IDD analysis. The nice thing about my flour-cinnamon version is that I can make a cake afterwards to celebrate the fact that Spirit has become 'unstuck'. wink.gif
[/quote]

Two words seem relevant here: silica gel.
Fran Ontanaya
It seems that Spirit has caught a DD in stereo:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/na...DPP1840L0M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/na...DPP1840R0M1.JPG
SpaceListener
I am putting a copy picture and draw with a yellow line to circle the suspected pond of basalt-silica surface. I selected the draw yellow line because the altered surface basalt-silica is inside of a small pond where the water chemical reaction might have happened. I might be wrong! rolleyes.gif

briv1016
New update:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/sta...ll.html#sol1907

716 watt-hours!!!
alan
The missing images from sol 1888 have finally been downloaded
Click to view attachment
tanjent
As I look at these pictures, I really have to give credit to the mission planners who obviously were afraid to come this route. To my eye it looks completely innocuous. If we had seen terrain like this up on Husband Hill I wouldn't have given it a second thought. And yet, obviously, the team spent a couple of months trying to go around HP the other way. When Opportunity gets into difficulty it is always while traversing obvious sand traps, but here the "cinnamon" layer looks quite safe. The presence of the slippery flour/silica material underneath must really test a rover driver's intuition.

With the passage of enough time I hope the newly-disrupted material around the wheels will consolidate itself and allow just enough traction to push away from the high-center spot. It seems impossible to high-center the vehicle by more than a hair's breadth because as soon as effective traction is lost it becomes difficult to make the situation worse as well as better. Given enough time the wind may come to our rescue once again as stray sand grains consolidate around the wheels - I just wish I knew whether it would take a few weeks or a few million years.
SFJCody
Looks like Richard Hendricks's driving at night idea is the kind of thing the MER team are considering (according to the recent npr podcast). I missed his post when skimming through the thread on wednesday which is why I posted the same idea on a previous page. unsure.gif
Ant103
My version of Sol 1888 color pan.
fredk
QUOTE (Fran Ontanaya @ May 22 2009, 06:32 PM) *
It seems that Spirit has caught a DD in stereo:

Yeah. Quite a nice sight.
Click to view attachment
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (tanjent @ May 23 2009, 09:24 PM) *
credit to the mission planners who obviously were afraid to come this route. To my eye it looks completely innocuous.

My thoughts entirely! I've looked and relooked at the photos of where Spirit is bogged quite a few times and - to me - it looks essentially no different from the harder ground around it. It's nobody's fault Spirit got bogged.
Burmese
With Spirit snuggled down so close to the ground right now and with the web so close to the soil(or possibly touching), and power rising, is there any concern that Spirits' thermal danger thresholds might get reached sooner than under normal circumstances? (thinks back to the laptop he once burned up by leaving it on the carpet).
nprev
Sharp-eyed observation, Alan!

I wonder if this was one of those wheel motor current tests; looks like it rotated just a couple of degrees at most.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (nprev @ May 24 2009, 07:27 PM) *
Sharp-eyed observation, Alan!

I wonder if this was one of those wheel motor current tests; looks like it rotated just a couple of degrees at most.

No, the rotor resistance tests are done so that the motor does not move so we do not have to keep into account the back EMF. These tests were done a few sols ago. This was a 4 degrees turn. The interesting thing to note is that the LM wheel seems to move down, possibly indicating that the LM was trying to overcome a step. Since none of the other wheels were providing (much) traction it is possible that the LM stalled because it was supporting all the weight of the vehicle.

OK, I know I am speculating, but one can always dream!

Paolo
jamescanvin
Nice ones Alan & Ant, however I think adding the images from 1886 adds a certain something wink.gif

James
Phil Stooke
Fantastic, James - but that's 'Braun' !

Phil
jamescanvin
Oops. Thanks Phil. Getting my Mars and F1 brains mixed up a bit...
Phil Stooke
You're lucky to have two brains! I'm making do with half of one over here.

Phil
ugordan
I'll second that, superb work, James!
marsophile
QUOTE (SFJCody @ May 23 2009, 04:29 AM) *
Looks like Richard Hendricks's driving at night idea is the kind of thing the MER team are considering (according to the recent npr podcast). I missed his post when skimming through the thread on wednesday which is why I posted the same idea on a previous page. unsure.gif

Also suggested here:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=140329
SFJCody
QUOTE (marsophile @ May 25 2009, 08:40 PM) *

Arrgh, don't know how I missed that! Sorry! unsure.gif
alan
A suggestion: try sending power to the right front wheel, see if anything happens.
Pavel
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 25 2009, 05:23 AM) *
Nice ones Alan & Ant, however I think adding the images from 1886 adds a certain something wink.gif

Can it be a broken up meteorite in the bottom right corner?
Click to view attachment
djellison
They don't really look like the ones we've seen before.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (alan @ May 26 2009, 07:29 AM) *
A suggestion: try sending power to the right front wheel, see if anything happens.

Believe it or not, that is actully already on the list of things to try, but not at the top. Since the motor controllers are shared between various devices, trying to send power down a line which might be shorted could cause damage to other components of the vehicle.

In addition, and this might be stating the obvious, one advantage of not turning the RF wheel is that it won't sink! And in the current predicament it is quite helpful.

Paolo
Phil Stooke
The "broken up meteorite" fragments are more likely bits of the coarse-grained layer at the base of the Home Plate layered unit. It was seen when we first got to HP, and it's here too , just above the rover.

Phil
Ant103
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 25 2009, 12:23 PM) *

http://www.nivnac.co.uk/mer/images/A1886_8_HP_VB_thumb.jpg

James

Yes, it adds James, excellent picture smile.gif.

I have take the time to add the certain something biggrin.gif
Burmese
Power up over 800 w/h now.....any clue if these are straight-line winds or direct hits by dust devils or what?
fredk
Fantastic news! smile.gif Here's a reference for that.

I think the thinking is that these are usually just strong winds. But Squyres has said that the timing of at least one cleaning event suggested something more localized, like a dust devil.
Astro0
I like the suggestion of Julian (age 7) for getting Spirit unstuck.
Remember, before you laugh, many here have suggested the same thing. wink.gif
nprev
That's about ten light-years beyond cute. smile.gif

Smart kid; a definite future UMSFer!
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Astro0 @ May 27 2009, 07:53 PM) *
Remember, before you laugh, many here have suggested the same thing. wink.gif

Laugh? I want to send him a present! Do you know who was the original poster of this picture?

Paolo
Mixer
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ May 28 2009, 02:00 PM) *
Laugh? I want to send him a present! Do you know who was the original poster of this picture?

Paulo, I hope you do find him, I can only imagine what a thrill it would be for him!
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Mixer @ May 27 2009, 09:10 PM) *
Paulo, I hope you do find him, I can only imagine what a thrill it would be for him!

Got his whereabouts. Scott Maxwell and I will send him a present.

Paolo
jmjawors
That kid's practically ready to join you guys in mission operations. What are you sending him, Paolo?
djellison
18 tonnes of KSC-1 mars simulant, and the mobility test bed rover.
Mixer
QUOTE (djellison @ May 28 2009, 05:46 PM) *
18 tonnes of KSC-1 mars simulant, and the mobility test bed rover.

Cackle! laugh.gif
paxdan
QUOTE (Astro0 @ May 28 2009, 04:53 AM) *

I think scooterlord has some serious competition in the MER rendering department.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.