Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LCROSS Lunar Impact
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Earth & Moon > Lunar Exploration > LRO & LCROSS
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
nprev
T minus 9 hrs. 10 min till impact. NASA TV coverage begins @ 1015 GMT (0315 PDT). Link to coverage here.
Astro0
Separation image (inset) and interpretation (using Celestia add-on).
Click to view attachment
Hungry4info
You've had much better luck with simulating it in Celestia with that add-on than I. In Celestia, I had the moon behind the Centaur as seen from LCROSS, and there doesn't seem to be the moon in the live feed.
Shaka
smile.gif O.K. Bend over please.
This may sting a little.
nprev
(Ouch!!!!!!) tongue.gif

Astro0, what's the FOV of that Celestia view? Reason I ask is that the Moon wasn't visible in the post-separation raw images as far as I could see; just curious. (Great composition, BTW, as per your usual!)

(EDIT: I see that Hungry already mentioned that.)
Stu
Humph.

Stupid Moon.

Have to go to work, so I'll miss the whole thing.

(scuffs toes on ground)

Not fair.

mad.gif

Have fun everyone! Looking forward to hearing all about it when I get back.
Astro0
nprev... I've got no idea of the FOV for that image...I just thought it looked nice and helped orient me to the 'real' image...not even sure if it's right! Remember me cool.gif I'm the 'artist' not the scientist laugh.gif
Hungry4info
QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 8 2009, 11:15 PM) *
...Reason I ask is that the Moon wasn't visible in the post-separation raw images as far as I could see; just curious.

Is this the terminator of the moon in the lower-left corner of the IR image? If so, it may suggest either a very narrow FOV, or simply that the moon is quite off-centre from the image.

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/lcross-c...separation2.jpg
ustrax
Here's the moon as I see it now, ignorant mode here, where's the impact site in this photo? tongue.gif
Hungry4info
Haha, it's the very southern point in that image. I don't suspect your image is detailed enough to resolve Cabeus crater.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (ustrax @ Oct 9 2009, 12:16 AM) *
Here's the moon as I see it now, ignorant mode here, where's the impact site in this photo? tongue.gif

It's at the left tip of the lighted side in that image Rui/
ustrax
Thanks guys! smile.gif
Decepticon
Tee Hee laugh.gif
Decepticon
Every time I see the impact story on the news, the media tends to over play the impact.
Zvezdichko
I can already see that. Bombing the Moon, that's it. Fortunately or not, we're living in a sci-fi shaped world. And there are people who are afraid of the impact. But there's no danger. Impacts occur very often.
MahFL
Good morning all.
Zvezdichko
Broadcast starts in a minute:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html
MahFL
Can't watch video at work sad.gif. I'll make do with JSC stills.
Zvezdichko
I usually take snapshots, but I'm also at work and don't have the graphics programs. I'll try however to do the best I can from here.
Phil Stooke
Recent Twitter post:

SSC_Final_ME_sph = 310.52235358536 E -84.7311739853509
about 1 hour ago from web
LCROSS Centaur and SSC target coordinates (Lat., Lon. in ME): Centaur_Final_ME_sph = 311.302088477883 E -84.6743872273512
about 1 hour ago from web

I see they are targeting an individual molecule...

Phil
volcanopele
If that's a water molecule is that such a bad thing?
Hungry4info
The target molecule will probably be destroyed. Perhaps they're hoping to detect the water molecules adjacent to that one? tongue.gif
Zvezdichko
Moon!

Don't know if it was the Moon imaged by the previous flyby or a live downlink. Too noisy here.
Zvezdichko
All instruments are operating nominally, that's great news, great chance of getting data!
AndyG
Live - and getting bigger! smile.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Zvezdichko @ Oct 9 2009, 05:45 AM) *
Don't know if it was the Moon imaged by the previous flyby or a live downlink. Too noisy here.

Sounded live to me. the scientist being interviewed was quite emotional when asked his feeling at the time it was shown. He said he was feeling [many] emotions at the same time.
deefatman
I didn't realise Hubble was going to be observing things!
Zvezdichko
Yes, this is the Moon seen by LCROSS in real time!

Yet another screenshot coming. Unfortunately I won't be able to combine them all - no graphics programs here.

volcanopele
Which crater is Cabeus in that screenshot?
Zvezdichko

centsworth_II
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Oct 9 2009, 06:00 AM) *
Which crater is Cabeus in that screenshot?

Asked if they can pick out the target, the scientists said it's still too far away for them to pick it out.
deefatman
It really reminds you how big the moon is when you consider how long left there is and that the moon is already filling up the entire frame, we always consider the moon small next to earth but in it's own right it's still enormous.
elakdawalla
Can anybody spot Cabeus in the LCROSS view? Having trouble getting oriented this morning, even with coffee rolleyes.gif
Zvezdichko
Live view from the IR camera!
ElkGroveDan
YAWN .... I am tired! Going to watch on the large screen TV. I'll check back here in a while.
volcanopele
Okay, nevermind, here is what I could put together:

Click to view attachment
volcanopele
In the current view on screen now, Cabeus is just below and to the left of center
nprev
'Mornin' everyone. Just got the NASA feed working on my computer; @#$% cable company here STILL don't carry NASA TV.

(The marine layer has torpedoed plans to set up my scope!)
MahFL
try this link !

http://www.mmto.org/lcross/

Juramike
(Are we supposed to eat peanuts now?)
Zvezdichko
Visible...

And IR image...

volcanopele
QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 9 2009, 04:17 AM) *
'Mornin' everyone. Just got the NASA feed working on my computer; @#$% cable company here STILL don't carry NASA TV.

(The marine layer has torpedoed plans to set up my scope!)

Be careful. Even if NASA TV doesn't show up on your digital cable box lineup, NASA TV may still be available over clearQAM by plugging the coax directly into your TV. That's the case here in Tucson with Cox Cable. In Tucson, it's on channel 72-4.
mchan
Bit humorous there when they went thru the station checks and concluded with "go for impact". It's not like they can scrub...
deglr6328
(Are we supposed to eat peanuts now?)

NO! Eating peanuts during a crash (even when deliberate) confuses the flying spaghetti monster and then he won't be able to be relied upon to guide our future soft landing missions down safely with his noodly appendage.
Juramike
The image is growing visibly frame by frame. This is so cool....
volcanopele
Thanks for the link, MahFL! Slooh was rained and clouded out at both locations.

Cloudy here...
Zvezdichko

Latest snapshot
AndyG
And poor Stu is missing it!
volcanopele
Impact flash! Woot!

EDIT: err. maybe not... that's just a surface feature...
deglr6328
ehhhhhh, did I miss it? I didn't see a thing on the video.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.