Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karst on Mars
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
Juramike
Article freely available:

Baioni, et al., Acta Carstologica, 38 (2009), 1, 9-18. "Karst landforms in a Martian evaporitic dome".

abstract: http://carsologica.zrc-sazu.si/?stran=article&id=412
pdf here: http://carsologica.zrc-sazu.si/downloads/381/1Baioni.pdf
Bill Harris
Thanks, Mike. I've long looked at the "anatolia landforms" around Endurance as relict Karst features. I've not revisited current literature on that subject in some time.

--Bill
Juramike
Baroni and Wezel, Planetary and Space Science, 58 (2010) 847-857. "Morphology and origin of an evaporitic dome in the eastern Tithonium Chasma, Mars." doi: 10.1016/j.psss.2010.01.009

Pay-for article, link to abstract here.
Bill Harris
Interesting. Tithonium Chasma covers a lot of territory-- is there a HiRISE image # or a lat/long quoted? No access to the article, but I'd like to review the orbital imagery.

--Bill
Juramike
At a quick glance, it looks like it is a similar article and images to the Acta Carstologica article.

Bill Harris
Thank you, sir, that is a good start.

"Acta Carstologica" , a scholarly journal devoted to karst. Never knew such existed...

--Bill
tty
It is quite interesting to compare the Tithonius dome with Mount Sedom near the Dead Sea, which is also an evaporite dome with karst topography (though in rock salt rather than gypsum), and also situated in a rift valley. You can see it in Google Earth at 31 deg 4 min N and 35 deg 23 min East. Here on Earth a salt dome can of course only survive long enough to develop karst topography in an extremely dry area, it would literally melt anywhere else.

By the way it's Acta Carsologica, not Carstologica. It's an Croatian journal. Karst is originally a croat word: "krs", however a vowel was added when it became an international word, non-croatians tend to find word like krs, grk and krk difficult to pronounce.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.