Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 121 - Nov 11-30, 2009 - Rhea
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
Juramike
The rev 121 Enceladus flyby is discussed in a different thread - moderator

November 21 images RGB[IR1,GRN,UV3] + CL1CL2 as luminance layer (only 60% opacity).
Cassini raw images N0156887-90.jpg distance about 25,000 km.
Colors adjusted.

Click to view attachment

-Mike

Full res TIFF here (1 Mb): http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/4123921310/
Juramike
Rhea lineaments (RGB[RED,GRN,BL1] + CL1 CL2 luminosity layer ):

Click to view attachment

Full res TIFF on Flickr (700 kb): http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/4123997298/

-Mike

ugordan
Global view, color balanced according to this calibrated view which shows almost the same view.
Click to view attachment

The equatorial dark stains are faintly visible above. Here's a narrow-angle segment of the equatorial markings centered around the two craters near image center above, contrast-enhanced IR3/GRN/UV3 color:
Click to view attachment
nprev
Thanks for yet more wonders, Mike & Gordan. (Still overloaded, here!)

I never knew about Rhea's 'lineaments'; what the deuce? Are they analogous to Ganymedian "racetrack" features, albeit at a smaller scale? They're oddly straight.
Juramike
Putting Gordan's [IR3,GRN,UV3] image with the the lineament feature [RED,GRN,BL1] image above you get a nice mosaic of the equatorial stains:

Click to view attachment

(Equatorial stains indicated below:)
Click to view attachment
Floyd
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 22 2009, 06:30 AM) *
Thanks for yet more wonders, Mike & Gordan. (Still overloaded, here!)
I never knew about Rhea's 'lineaments'; what the deuce? Are they analogous to Ganymedian "racetrack" features, albeit at a smaller scale? They're oddly straight.

There are two other threads that cover this information extensively Link Link

ugordan is the acknowledged discover of the equatorial markings on Rhea for which he received the prestigious award from UMSF Link
ugordan
A couple of Rhea cross-eye stereo views:

nprev
Ah--How did I forget that? Thanks, Floyd, and apologies, Gordan!

Was just rather taken aback by the appearance of the lineaments in Mike's image; they look like scratches on a dirty crystal ball!
DrShank
Yep, the rhea equatorial deposits were also discovered independently by two other teams, including myself. Its really only a matter of time before these things are found out. Ive been doing some high res mapping and am working on some new products showing these things in much better detail. It was the subject of my DPS presentation in october as well, and are the subject of a recent blog on stereomoons.blogspot.com. the alignment indicates they are fallout from Rhea's ring onto the surface. cool huh? stay tuned!
paul
ngunn
I've had a question right from almost the start of this thread, the same one I think that appears in post 2. The question was "What are the lineaments?" I thought I'd wait until the answer turned up but it hasn't. All the subsequent discussion has been about the equatorial dark marks - a great subject, I agree. I'm a big fan of rings around moons.

But what are the other lineaments in that image, the thin bright lines at many angles? Rays from impact craters? Scarps? They are very narrow but have an observable finite width in places.
Phil Stooke
Like the similar lines radiating from 'Cassandra' in the southern hemisphere of Dione, they are probably straight, narrow fractures exposing fresh ice along the faults. These on Rhea were already seen in Voyager images.

Phil
Exploitcorporations
Hello all...I've clearly missed a lot recently! Incredible stuff.

Better late to the party than never, so here's a mosaic of the tectonized terrain crudely reprojected to the perspective shown in W00061506. I've left out the two disconnected southern frames and the stereo images.

Click to view attachment
Hungry4info
Stunning amount of detail! Great work! Thank-you! smile.gif
titanicrivers
Raw images from REV 121 of Titan and Rhea together taken on Nov 19th 2009 featured recently as Cassini browse image ‘Biggest Saturnian Moons’ http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA12724 provide a natural spectacle and opportunity for us fortunate photoshop users to work with.
Below shows the RGB of Titan. Motion occurred between shots so a cut and paste of Rhea from the browse image
was used. 3D image is one of those eye-crossers again!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ugordan
And coincidentally, just a few days before the real raw data for that hits PDS... wink.gif
Hungry4info
Of curiosity, what is providing the backdrop for that image? I can make out the night side limb of both Rhea and Titan.
titanicrivers
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Sep 25 2010, 06:21 PM) *
Of curiosity, what is providing the backdrop for that image? I can make out the night side limb of both Rhea and Titan.

Artistic license! While a more exotic, natural source such as 'Saturnshine' might be considered the truth is this is an artifact achieved by the brightening of raw image N00146489 taken with the BL1 CL2 filter, after it was blue photo-filtered in Photoshop. This was done purposefully to bring out the detached haze layer and yes the unilluminated portions of Titan. Rhea's dark side was selected with the magic wand and brightened a bit. You have a keen eye!
DrShank
been busy processing latest batch of moon releases on pds and took a screen shot of this registered and calibrated mosaic of the equator of Rhea, showing the equatorial stripe. our paper describing the origin of this and the broad band of Mimas are now online at Icarus "Plasma, plumes and Rings...." (ill haven=more on that later- i just arrived in pasadena for DPS and getting bearings...).

weeeee! moons are fun!

paolo

peter59
Something that we have not seen before. Rhea seen by radar.
Click to view attachment
ugordan
Very interesting, thanks for posting. Check out that radar-bright spot on the right.
tedstryk
Would it be overly cheesy to call it Rheadar?
Phil Stooke
Yes, positively Gorgonzolian!

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.