Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From Concepción to the "Twin Craters"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
SFJCody
"Twin Craters" = San Antonio. There are pancam.gif images of San Antonio West scheduled for 2196.
kenny
QUOTE (AndyG @ Mar 28 2010, 02:13 PM) *
It's a while since I took O-level geography, but perhaps aręte would be a more suitable term? A sharp topographic ridge left between two areas of erosion.

Well, aręte is usually an erosional mountain feature, as you say, and what we're seeing is a deposition feature feature, so a different term is apporpriate. Isthmus is probably neutral in this regard.

I think the best term is septum, "a partition separating two cavities or spaces". This is the term used on the moon for a ridge between two adjacent craters.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (SFJCody @ Mar 29 2010, 08:04 AM) *
"Twin Craters" = San Antonio. There are pancam.gif images of San Antonio West scheduled for 2196.

I think we're talking about a ship from Magellan's expedition. Rui, you're the expert, what do you think? smile.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_(ship)
Victoria (or Nao Victoria, as well as Vittoria) was a Spanish carrack and the first ship to successfully circumnavigate the world.
The four other ships were Trinidad (110 tons, crew 55), San Antonio (120 tons, crew 60), Concepcion (90 tons, crew 45), and Santiago (75 tons, crew 32).
climber
Aręte, as you write it, is a french name which means "ridge" and is more likely to be applied in mountains, not in this case.
Now, if you use it in English (like it's written here), I cannot tell.
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 29 2010, 11:29 AM) *
I think we're talking about a ship from Magellan's expedition. Rui, you're the expert, what do you think? smile.gif

Yes, looks like it, although I was expecting to see the rest of Magellan's fleet used to name more proeminent features... smile.gif
Looking forward for Santiago!
CryptoEngineer
QUOTE (climber @ Mar 29 2010, 08:50 AM) *
Aręte, as you write it, is a french name which means "ridge" and is more likely to be applied in mountains, not in this case.
Now, if you use it in English (like it's written here), I cannot tell.

The rarity of twin craters on Earth means that the terminology for describing them is poorly developed. "Aręte" is probably workable: English isn't shy about using words from other languages (ref James Nicoll). 'Septum' doesn't really work for me, I tend to associate it with anatomical structures. However, if its the accepted term of art, so be it. 'Divider', or 'dividing ridge' seem most descriptive, if unimaginative.

I wonder if its possible to look at the pair and figure out which hit first, or from which direction. Even a few milliseconds difference in arrival time would, I think, produce a difference in shape.

CE

AndyG
QUOTE (CryptoEngineer @ Mar 29 2010, 03:52 PM) *
'Septum' doesn't really work for me, I tend to associate it with anatomical structures.

I agree (while rubbing my philtrum, under my septum, with my finger.)

QUOTE (CryptoEngineer @ Mar 29 2010, 03:52 PM) *
I wonder if its possible to look at the pair and figure out which hit first, or from which direction. Even a few milliseconds difference in arrival time would, I think, produce a difference in shape.

I would have thought that things would still be "up in the air" at a few milliseconds after the first impact, during crater formation. But it will be interesting to see the details.

Andy
ngunn
QUOTE (AndyG @ Mar 29 2010, 06:33 PM) *
still be "up in the air"

If I understand correctly Bill's post 143 about directed shockwaves in mine blasts, I think "already moving but not yet up in the air" might describe it better.
Stu
Hadrian's Wall looking good over there, Dan...

Click to view attachment

... but not much else to see... this might be a flying visit....
fredk
Unfortunately no new views of the Twins in the latest downlink. But we're seeing many versions of some images - I don't recall ever seeing the "product version number" become a letter, like the "A" at the end of the filename of this image:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...VRP2597R1MA.JPG
(Very cool image, I think, with the tracks veering to the left in the choppy see of dunes...)
NickF
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 27 2010, 02:36 AM) *
One would assume that the Twins are older and that the ejecta rubble has simply weathered and eroded.

If Concepcion was in the order of 10^4 years old, do we have an estimate for the age of the Twins? An order of magnitude older? Two? Older still? (presumably impact features like this fill up with dust eventually)

Bill Harris
Right, fredk, Oppy's been having some trouble with the uplink to the relay satellite and I guess that the "product version numbers" have gotten around to exceeding "9", so they've gone alpha. Anyone "with connectionc" care to venture a guess why?

The ripples have gotten to look like choppy seas, I don't thik this is a effect of the cratering at San Antionio since we've been seeing this since we arrived at Concepcion. We "crested the hilltop" there and are headed downhill-ish so I think that this is an orographic effect.

--Bill
ngunn
Why has all the dust from inside San Antonio West (and East?) been blown out in one particular direction to form a single big dune? Other craters on the same HiRise image don't look like this has happened to them. It doesn't seem to me like the result of a gradual process but rather the effect of a strong wind that blew for a short time, temporarily revealing Hadrian's Wall. Then there's all those choppy dunes - another localised phenomenon. The relief around here is really slight so I can hardly believe that orographic effects alone would produce such striking changes. I have no explanation to offer but I think it's at least worth considering whether something unusual could have happened here fairly recently in Martian terms (post San Antonio but pre Concepcion).

EDIT: Think Tunguska - flattened trees but no crater. A big tornado might also do the trick; we don't really know what happens on smaller scales inside Martian dust storms.
BrianL
QUOTE (Stu @ Mar 29 2010, 02:07 PM) *
... but not much else to see... this might be a flying visit....

All aboard the Opportunity Express. Next stop... Santa Maria. Woo-woo!
Well, I can hope... smile.gif

Brian
Bobby
How safe does it look like for the Rover to go inside this crater to investigate any exposed bedrock???
Floyd
Dust death trap--no way!
nprev
My sediments exactly. (insert snare-drum rim shot here!) rolleyes.gif
CosmicRocker
Aręte is a geomorphology term with glacial implications. It is a ridge formed between two cirques or two U-shaped glacial valleys. As such, it is probably inappropriate to use it to describe the ridge between these two craters.
Stu
QUOTE (Bobby @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
How safe does it look like for the Rover to go inside this crater to investigate any exposed bedrock???

About as safe as it looks for Kevin Bacon to walk across a stretch of open desert... laugh.gif

QUOTE (nprev @ Mar 30 2010, 02:24 AM) *
My sediments exactly. (insert snare-drum rim shot here!) rolleyes.gif

You should be ashamed of that... laugh.gif
Bill Harris
There isn't a name for a terrestrial equivalent to this feature. What we have here is a feature created by the combination of two ejecta curtains being simultaneously emplaced. We probably need to draw from whatever terminology has been created to describe crater ejecta features-- I shudder to think at the Latin/Greek/archaicEnglish that would get cobbled together for that term.

"Isthmus" is as good as anything. But in keeping with naval terminology, p'haps it can be called a gangplank? laugh.gif

--Bill
kenny
I do believe "Septum" is the correct term , as I said in Post 152. Septum is used in lunar morphology, and also terrestrial volcanic craters. If you Googgle "septum crater" you will find several examples of this usage.
Phil Stooke
Don't worry, people - soon the wretched feature will be far behind us.

Phil
centsworth_II
QUOTE (kenny @ Mar 30 2010, 08:21 AM) *
I do believe "Septum" is the correct term... Septum is used in lunar morphology...

Click to view attachment
"The elongate crater Torricelli near the north margin of Mare Nectaris was
probably formed by two simultaneous impacts as indicated by the partly
developed septum at A."
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-362/ch7.2.htm
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 30 2010, 05:28 PM) *
Don't worry, people - soon the wretched feature will be far behind us.

Actually, it already is by a few meters, because Opportunity is now positioned at the east crater.
Pictures should be available soon.
Bill Harris
Sounds like a good plan. The ejecta is eroded, the rock in the southwall is not in-situ bedrock but exhumed ejecta. Nothing to see, move along folks. We'll get the images downlinked. Eventually.

However, just for curiosity, it would be nice to have a Pancam set of the mysterious prancha de grupo between the craters... laugh.gif

--Bill
fredk
I have to say this is one of the prettiest craters we've visited - here's east twin:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...I4P1977R0M1.JPG
Drive direction pancams are looking SE, but could this be a reason to linger: is that a piece of impactor just inside the near rim?
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...I4P1977R0M1.JPG
Also notice the big, tall pile of ejecta at the far end of the isthmus/septum/gangplank.
ngunn
A really fine set of images from a much more satisfying vantage point than the previous stop: should make a spectacular panorama (as Stu prophesied). Definitely one for the full treatment and a place on the wall. The septum will be immortalised - septum in saeculo saeculorum! smile.gif
Mirek
QUOTE (fredk @ Mar 30 2010, 01:52 PM) *
I have to say this is one of the prettiest craters we've visited[...]

There is a look at Eastern Twin with tracks leading to previous vintage point by Western Twin

Stu
Click to view attachment

Not a bad view after all... smile.gif
Stu
Better to come from others, I'm sure...

http://twitpic.com/1c1fle
Ant103
Yes, not a so bad view actually smile.gif

marsophile
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Mar 30 2010, 02:58 PM) *
Yes, not a so bad view actually smile.gif

Even has an ice-cream cone lying on the sand there! laugh.gif
Bill Harris
Here is a 3-image panorama of the Navcams today (Sol 2197) of San Antonio, exaggerated 3x. Interesting structure in the craters.

--Bill
climber
The isthmus would have been an easy drive after all.
Tman
Also a drive into the crater(s). They do look like Eagle crater in terms of aging, don't they?

Thanks Damien!
Stu
I'm glad Oppy didn't land within driving distance of Valles Merineris...

"You know, if they're really careful, I'm sure they could drive Oppy down there to the floor..." laugh.gif

Just joking. Oppy is an explorer, her mission is to see new things. But sometimes it does feel like one of those episodes of Star Trek: Voyager, where they spot a swirly, angry, clearly dangerous, potentially starship-devouring "spatial anomoly" and Janeway beams "Let's go take a closer look...!" smile.gif
Bill Harris
Reminds me of the opening segment of the old 1960's TV series, Mission Impossible: "Jim, your mission, should you decide to accept it..." laugh.gif

But seriously, there is the need to anthropomorphise our Intrepid Explorers. We assign gender, have a mental image of a WALL-E bopping around Mars on a tour. Nothing wrong with that, the Rovers are an extension of all of us. Though, I imagine, a psychologist would have a field day... blink.gif

Just as when we were younger, Oppy may have also been inclined to try hazardous things in the name of exploration. It is amazing that we all survived adolesence. Now that we and Oppy are "6-score and whatever" we tend to be a bit more careful.

[/philosophical_mode]

I would like to get at the edge of rim for a closer view of That Rock... wink.gif

--Bill

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 31 2010, 04:00 AM) *
I would like to get at the edge of rim for a closer view of That Rock... wink.gif

It looks like a cat. Not just in shape, but how and where it's sitting (right Ted?)
AndyG
Waiting for Opportunity! laugh.gif

There's two tiny stones on the dune to the far left of Ant's wonderful panorama. They're bound to be called Vladimir and Estragon. They they are, sat on the surface of Mars for perhaps thousands and thousands of years, not sure what's going to happen, every day the same old same old, when - all of a sudden - a rover trundles past... rolleyes.gif

Andy
Explorer1
Oh yes, Beckett said it right:

"In an instant all will vanish and we'll be alone once more, in the midst of nothingness!"

Almost unsettling how close he got it!
fredk
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Mar 31 2010, 05:44 PM) *
It looks like a cat.

If it's a cat, it looks like a black cat. ph34r.gif I wonder if Oppy's hazard avoidance abilities include not crossing black cats' paths? laugh.gif
fredk
Here, kitty kitty!
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...I4P2404L7M1.JPG
Barry
Now the question is...who left the damn cat in there? laugh.gif (first post but long time reader)
climber
Twin craters = twin blueberries: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...PGP2936M2M1.JPG
Bill Harris
1M299696631EFFA3PGP2936M2M1= Sol 1932, way way back at Erebus....

EDIT: oops, got timestamp and Sol# confused...thanks, fredk

http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/html/filenames_ltst.htm is a useful filename decoder... smile.gif

--Bill

PS-- Look at the blocky nature of That Rock. We gotta look closely at this one (I'm sure to get Shunned...). Need to go out this evening, but we've got an L257 Pancam of the rock and isthmus-- have fun.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...I4P2404L2M1.JPG
Stu
Black Cat Rock...

Click to view attachment

No shunning here, Bill, I'd like a look too.
fredk
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 31 2010, 10:52 PM) *
1M299696631EFFA3PGP2936M2M1= Sol 1932, way way back at Erebus....

Not quite as far back as Erebus, more like Absecon/Reeds Bay, not far from Block Island.

Maybe we shouldn't be surprized about finding a cat - remember Steve the cat who came to Mars on Phoenix?
Bill Harris
It is still fairly chunky with JPEG artifacts but here is a cropped enlargement, with some increase in saturation, of the L257 Pancam trio of That Rock on Sol 2198. Not any detail to be seen on the shadowed side, it's dark and somewhat bluish which doesn't do much in the faint reddish Martian skylight. It appears to be another erratic rock on the plains, probably much like the Marquette Island rock.

--Bill
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Apr 1 2010, 01:09 AM) *
....It appears to be another erratic rock on the plains, probably much like the Marquette Island rock.
If on closer inspection it is obviously not a piece of typical Meridiani rock, or obviously not another iron meteorite, it may call for a couple weeks stop to identify it. The drive straight to it looks a little scary (slope plus sand) but it looks approachable at a slant from the side.

We could hope it's another interesting rock from far away to add to the catalog, or we could hope it's nothing new so we can hit the road without delay. I'll leave it to each and all to look within for which is the more pure and honorable hope.
PaulM
--- Full quote removed. Mod. ---

I hope that Oppy will not venture into any more craters other than Endeavour. The cat looks very inviting, but remember how difficult Oppy found the drive out of Eagle crater.

The recent pictures of the hills around Endeavour look very inviting.

My hope is that after Oppy has spent a year investigating the hills around Endeavour crater then it will start another impossibly long drive right down into Endeavour crater to look at the clays.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.