Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UnmannedSpaceflight.com and The Planetary Society
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Forum Guide and Announcements > Forum Management Topics > UMSF and The Planetary Society
Pages: 1, 2
stevesliva
Ted, facebook is down! Can you/the tooth fairy fix it for me?
tedstryk
Sorry, Facebook is the responsibility of the Easter bunny.
JohnVV
Sorry, Facebook is the responsibility of the Easter bunny.

-- i like that ,Easter bunny tongue.gif tongue.gif --
never did like it , my daughter however can not live with out it
She also thinks it is "wired" that her aunt is on facebook . Guess it is a age thing
ngunn
I notice that there is now a link to planetary.org at the bottom of the page wherever you are in UMSF. That's great. It saves going out in the rain and walking round the block. But having made the journey through the internal door there seems to be no easy link back the other way. So it's out in the rain time, but guess what: I forgot my umbrella.

Just a friendly suggestion
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 13 2010, 06:13 PM) *
...having made the journey through the internal door there seems to be no easy link back the other way....

I just use the handy worm hole links in my bookmark toolbar to get where I need to through hyper- (or cyber-) space.

Guess where the gorilla on Mars icon leads me to. laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
centsworth_II
A lot of concern has been expressed about how UMSF(.com) would be affected by its association with The Planetary Society. Let's turn that around. Emily L. has frequently sung the praises of UMSF in her Planetary Society Blog. Now she has specifically recommended UMSF as a site worthy of being part of the Planetary Society family. All the more reason for "keeping UMSF at an 'impressively high level" .

In Emily's blog post which I link above, she says, "...at UMSF, you have to stay to the rules of conduct, keeping to the subject of robotic missions, and the data they return, and not post about forbidden topics or engage in antisocial behavior like trolling or ranting." I would add to the list of unacceptable behaviors 'overly social behavior' such as the off topic banter that recently broke out in one of the Opportunity forums and has since been mercifully removed.
djellison
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Oct 15 2010, 08:17 AM) *
A lot of concern has been expressed about how UMSF(.com) would be affected by its association with The Planetary Society.

To be honest, I just don't think that's true. There is not just cause for such concern, and because of that we've made it abundantly clear that things will change very very little, and because of that, people have not expressed much concern at all. Infact most people have used very very positive words indeed.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 15 2010, 11:57 AM) *
...people have not expressed much concern at all. In fact most people have used very very positive words indeed.
Right. I should have said that there has been a lot of emphasis put on how the UMSF/TPS association will not affect UMSF while little concern has been expressed for how the association will reflect on TPS.

UMSF should be affected in that there should be additional pressure to 'keep up the high standards'.
ElkGroveDan
at UMSF, you have to stay to the rules of conduct, keeping to the subject of robotic missions, and the data they return, and not post about forbidden topics

As evidence that UMSF won't be changing content policies, some of UMSF's "forbidden topics" are, or have been, actual TPS projects. (For example one of them rhymes with "YETI.") This board simply has a narrower focus than the other TPS web sites, like different floors of a department store. After all if you were going shopping you wouldn't try to buy dog kennels in the mattress department.

So let's continue to celebrate this new relationship and everyone chill. The same old curmudgeons are still working the levers in the engine room. In fact I think I just saw Stu banging a wrench on a steam pipe down there.
brellis
erm, sorry about the McMansion post. I thot that was funnie smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
Your McMansion in Woodland Hills is safe. Again if it was inappropriate, it would have been deleted. The junk drawer is just a place to move OT discussion when a thread is getting too cluttered. I even moved some of mine and Doug's comments.
Stu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 16 2010, 01:15 AM) *
In fact I think I just saw Stu banging a wrench on a steam pipe down there.

That I am Sir, that I am.

Ye cannae change the laws of UMSF... smile.gif
JohnVV
i have always considered this site to be VERY professional ( more so than most) and as such , I treat it as such . ( way different than at shatters , or even LQ )
now there will ALWAYS be a bit of cross talk , and a very small amount is good . SO as long as WE HERE keep up with what we have already been doing . There will be no problems

and maybe the " more general public" site will get a bit more like this one
Greg Hullender
I think it's important to keep UMSF professional enough that actual scientists are comfortable posting here from time to time. In my mind, that's the #2 attraction of this board.

The brilliant amateur work on image processing is #1, of course. :-)

--Greg
nprev
An advanced planning question here. Us older heads remember the Phoenix landing on UMSF very well, including the traffic spike that began roughly 2 hrs. before EDL & peaked at somewhere around 273 users, most of whom were apparently first-time visitors. The new association with TPS could quite possibly double--or triple, or even quadruple--that number during the MSL landing less than two years from now. Are there any early notions about boosting server capacity in advance of the event, perhaps just temporarily by setting up redirects to mirrors for the duration (...if that made sense; not an IT guy), or throwing the discussion to a chat host (that could prove very difficult to moderate, or even follow coherently)?

Just askin'. It would be a real tragedy if we went down during the heat (ta dah, dah!) of EDL. The dialogue on UMSF during the Phoenix descent was one of the most enjoyable & memorable times on the forum for me, and I'd venture to guess also for many others; it would be terrible to not have something similar for Curiosity.
djellison
The server was explicitly over specified when we got it - it could handle 10x the traffic and none of you would notice. Indeed we had one hack-attack about a year or so ago that emulated hundreds of thousand of visits per hour, and nobody noticed a performance hit for 24 hrs.

Plus, adding mirrors is an exceptionally complex and expensive thing to do for database driven forums.

Every now and again we'll get massive temporary spikes in traffic, but we only know by looking at stats, nit wondering why the site is tuning slow.
nprev
Asked & answered, plus I learned something. Warm fuzzy achieved. smile.gif Thanks, Doug!
NMRguy
Very interesting news, indeed! Thanks to all for years of interesting discussions, and looking forward to many more.
cbcnasa
UMSF is and has been a fantastic professional source for information to a casual follower, thank you so much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.