Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape York
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 21 2011, 06:41 AM) *
Nice drive! (2692)

Huzzah!

Besides the obvious fact that the front Haz's (after the Michael Jordan spin move to have us drive forward rather than backward) show Tisdale 2 right under our nose, the other indicator we were expecting of having made it was that the post-drive navcams wouldn't be able to see Tisdale 2. And whatddya know.

-m
Juramike
We're parked! Put the money in the meter, we're gonna be here a while!
centsworth_II
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 21 2011, 10:41 AM) *
Nice drive! (2692)
And a nice look at a light-colored rubble pile (or roughed up rock) I think you mention a few posts back.
Click to view attachment
Stu
Wow...

If this is all that's left of a rock, try to imagine how long it took to turn it to this pile of light dust...

Click to view attachment

Gladstoner
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Aug 21 2011, 04:36 PM) *
Is it too cold on Mars for diurnal heating/cooling cycles to have such an effect?
Here's a paper on that subject: Simulating weathering of basalt on Mars and Earth by thermal cycling
"...diurnal cycling of temperatures on Mars can cause deterioration of rocks with a pre‐existing stress history, as would be typical for surface rocks here...
....dramatic failures of basalt boulders could occur under current Martian conditions, apparently due only to thermal cycling."
Juramike
Thanks for that reference!
mhoward
Here's an animation of the sunset on sol 2666 that I hacked together tonight. I was going to try to make a little YouTube movie out of it, but I've run out of time to work on it for now, so I've just put it into QuickTime format. Since it's made from the uncalibrated JPEGs (L7 and R4 filters) the color should be regarded as a whimsical guestimation at best.

MERB2666Sunset_h.mov (425 KB)
brellis
Fun -- it's like a big shooting star! smile.gif
um3k
Hey guys, I'm just checking in. Just read this whole thread, probably gonna be lurking in this thread, possibly contributing a bit. Very nice images in this thread. Good to see some familiar people as well as new faces, been a long time since I've been here. Looking forward to Opportunity's adventures in Endeavour Crater.
Stu
Colour view of "Ridout"...

Click to view attachment
Stu
Beautifully-eroded rock seen by Oppy on Sol 2681 (pre-landfall)...

Click to view attachment
john_s
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 18 2011, 11:56 PM) *
Still, I gotta say I read John's post and I was all, "what, you can say all that from one low-res JPEGgy color photo?" smile.gif

Belated lame self-justification- I was gone all weekend and not thinking about Mars at all.

I only said it *looked* like scoracious lava with xenoliths- I've seen similar things in lava fields in the Arizona desert. Looking more closely, though, Munro is clearly a beautiful breccia like the other rocks around here. Can't wait for the close-ups!

John
Matt Lenda
QUOTE (john_s @ Aug 22 2011, 07:55 AM) *
Belated lame self-justification- I was gone all weekend and not thinking about Mars at all.

Lyons! Heck yeah. Great town to bike to/through from Boulder.

/boulderite

-m
mhoward
2692-2693. This is 360x96 [sic] degrees, centered on north instead of east.

centsworth_II
Hortonheardawho unveils an MI mosaic of Tisdale 2.
Just a preliminary, highly compressed, preview apparently.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hortonheardawho/6073204085/

Discussion on "the yellow" forum:
http://www.marsroverblog.com/discuss-17644...-yorkpage8.html
ilbasso
Wow! Quietest day I think I've ever seen on UMSF. Only a total of 2 posts across all forums in 24 hours, both in this thread.
nprev
Wait about (let's see)...11 months & change.... wink.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ilbasso @ Aug 23 2011, 08:46 PM) *
Wow! Quietest day I think I've ever seen on UMSF. ...
I don't know, 3 or four posts in 10 minutes -- not bad. laugh.gif
eoincampbell
Sure wish the Tau was droppin' ... cool.gif
mhoward
Wow, they topped off the 2692-2693 Navcam panorama with some subframe images on 2695. Unfortunately my panorama export feature isn't good enough to handle subframe images, but it looks nice in MMB, thank you.

Matt Lenda

Indeed. You'll notice that the previous Navcams were clipped on top because of the terrain being higher on that side. We sequenced these Navs to fill out missing bits and get a little bit of sky.

-m
Sunspot
Talking of panoramas..where is Jan?
jvandriel
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Aug 24 2011, 07:08 PM) *
Talking of panoramas..where is Jan?

I am here. laugh.gif

Jan van Driel
Phil Stooke
The latest mhoward pan in circular format, cropped to focus on the foreground.

Phil

Click to view attachment
walfy
Nice composition today from Oppy.

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
MHoward,

here is the panorama you mentioned
Sol 2692, 2693 and Sol 2695 Navcam L0 complete view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

mhoward
Nice job, Jan.
SFJCody
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...LVP1961L0M1.JPG

It's been mentioned before, but Spirit point really is incredibly appropriately named. That looks so much like Gusev!
Tesheiner
I made this vertical view of the current site, using the 360deg. mosaic by jvandriel, and tried to include all rocks visible on the near and mid range, labelling the ones which have already been "christened" by the mission.
Click to view attachment

Edit: updated.
Phil Stooke
Very useful! Keeping track of names is very time-consuming.

Phil

Bill Harris
Useful. But where did Munro go?

--Bill
Tesheiner
Here. smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Even more useful!

Phil
Phil Stooke
... and still more useful - check out this fab new tool from PDS Geosciences:

http://an.rsl.wustl.edu/mv/

A zoomable map linked to mosaics, for each rover.

Phil
mhoward
A thing like this might also be somewhat useful, if such a thing existed and was freely downloadable.
Phil Stooke
As if!

Phil
stevesliva
sols 2690-2696, August 18-24, 2011 Opportunity Studies Rocks on Crater Rim

Opportunity has begun the in-situ (contact) investigation of rocks around the rim of Endeavour crater.

On Sol 2690 (Aug. 18, 2011), the rover began the approach to a large ejecta block, named "Tinsdale 2" with a 4-meter (13-foot) drive. On Sol 2692 (Aug. 20, 2011), Opportunity completed the approach to Tinsdale 2 with a turn-around to face the rock and a short 2-meter (7-foot) forward approach to the target. On Sol 2694 (Aug. 22, 2011), Opportunity started the multi-sol, multi-target in-situ (contact) investigation with a Microscopic Imager (MI) mosaic of a set of surface targets collectively named "Timmins," followed by a placement of the Alpha Particle X-ray Spectrometer (APXS) for an overnight integration. On Sol 2695 (Aug. 23, 2011), the rover collected another MI mosaic on a different target spot, again followed by an overnight APXS integration. On Sol 2696 (Aug. 24, 2011), Opportunity did it again with another set of MI mosaics and an APXS integration.

http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/mission/status_...rtunityAll.html
centsworth_II
Check out Hortonheardawho's 3D MIs of Tisdale 2.
Astro0
MI Sol 2694

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
here are two animated gifs of the small nearby crater.
they are from yestersol's navcams.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Sol 2697.
The L0 Panoramic Navcam View.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Sol 2697

Tisdale 2 anaglyph.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
walfy
Another take on Tisdale 2.

Click to view attachment
fredk
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 25 2011, 11:23 AM) *
labelling the ones which have already been "christened" by the mission.
A belated thanks for this, Tesheiner, and to all the mosaicers/anaglyphers out there - I'm just doing my catchup after some travel. This really does feel like a new mission - rock maps remind me of Phoenix!

Oh yeah - "icing on the cake" was a good one! laugh.gif
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 25 2011, 10:01 AM) *
A thing like this might also be somewhat useful...

It never ceases to amaze me that some around here need to be reminded of this.
Stu
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 27 2011, 08:26 AM) *
It never ceases to amaze me that some around here need to be reminded of this.

But we have new members joining all the time, so a reminder now and again is a good thing, I think.
mhoward
I don't really promote it, because it's not user-friendly or even finished. Only if you're really serious about downloading and viewing MER images outside of JPL. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.
Stu
Time for a brief "Woah....!!!!" comparison...

Click to view attachment

We are now inside the sweeping curve of the range of hills we saw on the horizon as we explored Santa Maria...

Quite wonderful, don't you think?
Stu
Pancam close up of Tisdale...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.