Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Downloading TIFFs from NASA Photojournal
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Image Processing Techniques
schaffman
I want to download several hi-res TIffs from the NASA/JPL Photojournal site, but my browser wants to save them as a Quicktime movie. How do I simply save them as a Tiff file to open in Photoshop? Is this a problem with my browser (Exprorer 8) default settings or something intentionally setup on the website?

Thanks for any help!

Tom
Floyd
It sounds like you your file defaults for opening Tiff files captured by Quicktime. To fix this, find a Tiff file anywhere on your computer and right click on it. Go to Open with or select program. Pick photoshop or whatever and check the box to always use that program.

Other option: right click on nasa photo. Choose save. Once saved, you can open with any program

schaffman
QUOTE (Floyd @ Dec 29 2011, 03:22 PM) *
It sounds like you your file defaults for opening Tiff files captured by Quicktime. To fix this, find a Tiff file anywhere on your computer and right click on it. Go to Open with or select program. Pick photoshop or whatever and check the box to always use that program.

Other option: right click on nasa photo. Choose save. Once saved, you can open with any program

Thanks. The first part of your suggestion worked fine for tiff files already on my computer. However, when I right click on the NASA image from the website, no save option is present, only an option to save by buying Quicktime Pro software. huh.gif

Tom
nprev
That sounds like a local machine config problem to me. All released NASA data is in the public domain, so therefore it's unlikely to compel you to buy third-party software.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (schaffman @ Dec 30 2011, 02:18 AM) *
Thanks. The first part of your suggestion worked fine for tiff files already on my computer. However, when I right click on the NASA image from the website, no save option is present, only an option to save by buying Quicktime Pro software. huh.gif

Tom

Are you right clicking on the photo or right clicking on the *link* to the photo? The latter should allow you to save the tiff locally.
helvick
This is definitely a local issue on your machine. you may just be able to disable TIFF handling by changing the file type and MIME Settings for TIFF on the system as whole but a quicker method is probably to disable the Quicktime Plugin within your browser.

On IE8 go to the Tools Menu, Manage Add-Ons and disable the Quicktime plugin. You might need to restart IE8 for this to take effect.

stevesliva
Apple software for Windows is pretty evil.
schaffman
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 30 2011, 11:53 AM) *
Are you right clicking on the photo or right clicking on the *link* to the photo? The latter should allow you to save the tiff locally.

Thanks, Emily. That worked! I just had to use "save target as" under right-click dropdown. I still had to change the config of the icon to open in Photoshop. For some reason, Photoshop doesn't recognize the tiff file from within even when I've selected only tiff files in the Photoshop open dialog box (i.e., I have to launch from the icon).

Tom
schaffman
QUOTE (helvick @ Dec 30 2011, 12:08 PM) *
This is definitely a local issue on your machine. you may just be able to disable TIFF handling by changing the file type and MIME Settings for TIFF on the system as whole but a quicker method is probably to disable the Quicktime Plugin within your browser.

On IE8 go to the Tools Menu, Manage Add-Ons and disable the Quicktime plugin. You might need to restart IE8 for this to take effect.

Thanks, helvick. I think the solution may be the former. When I disable the Quicktime plugin to download the tiff, I get: "webpage is requesting an Add-On that is disabled." I will tackle your other option as I get time to tinker a bit.

Tom
schaffman
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Dec 30 2011, 02:17 PM) *
Apple software for Windows is pretty evil.

I think you're right about that.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.