Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 148 - Apr 29-May 30, 2011 - Titan T76
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
Pages: 1, 2
Juramike
RGB composite of May 3, 2011 WAC images. Tweaked to get more sharpness (see flickr page for processing details).

Click to view attachment
Juramike
Surprise! An image of the southern hemisphere of Saturn reveals a South Temperate Zone storm! Methanovision [MT3,MT2,CB2] composite:

Click to view attachment

As far as I am aware, this southern disturbance was first spotted on May 10, 2011 by Efrain Morales (Puerto Rico) using an earth-based telescope: http://www.jaicoa-observatory.com/Sat_10_0..._0208ut-EMo.jpg
Juramike
RGB composite of May 12, 2011 southern hemisphere image using RED, GRN and VIO images with some serious channel mixing done. The oval storm is dark in visible wavelengths, with a brighter surrounding ring of clouds.

Click to view attachment
Juramike
Enhanced constrast of the CB2 image ("Wart-o-Vision") shows all the little bumps an knots in the Southern hemisphere in the overlay (and deliberate non-blend) of two frames taken several hours apart (a smaller storm can be seen to the E):

Click to view attachment

Animated blink of the two frames shows cloud motions and what looks to be a clockwise (cyclonic in S hemisphere) motion of storm oval:

Click to view attachment

[Animated GIF: click to animate]

Processing details on flickr.
Juramike
Abstractly beautiful...

Click to view attachment
ugordan
Lovely. Looks like a painting.
Juramike
Thanks! When I was looking at the raws I immediately thought of American artist Georgia O'Keeffe.
Juramike
Low phase view of Saturn, in RGB and Methanovision infrared composite on May 15, 2011. The storm center is the smudge in the upper right near the terminator.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Ian R
Great work Mike! wink.gif

I couldn't resist doing my own version of the CB/G/B composite:

Click to view attachment
S_Walker
I also put together a CB.G.B composite of the 5/15 data. What is extremely interesting with these images is that while the spacecraft’s geometry is poor to look for spokes, note the crepe ring shadow has a distinct thinning about 1/3 of the way towards the left from the center of the globe. This is real and rotated with the rings between each exposure. Very distinct evidence of "spokes" actually thinning the region, I'd venture to guess.Click to view attachment
The exposures were captured through the CB2, G, and B filters. Cloud features were warped slightly to compensate for the planet’s rotation between exposures.
ugordan
QUOTE (S_Walker @ May 18 2011, 06:10 PM) *
Very distinct evidence of "spokes" actually thinning the region, I'd venture to guess.

I would think those are bright clouds peeking through. I though spokes are virtually non-existent in the C ring?
S_Walker
QUOTE (ugordan @ May 18 2011, 02:59 PM) *
I would think those are bright clouds peeking through. I though spokes are virtually non-existent in the C ring?

Not sure, but did say I was guessing. They also show nicely on the NAC images from the 13th that Mike posted a few days ago.
Juramike
Cassini MethanoVision composite of Saturn on May 16, 2011:
Click to view attachment
Juramike
Two frame blink animation of May 15 and May 16 images coordinated on key features in the tubulent wake region. The storm is moving W relative to the wake turbulence. Parts of the wake can be seen to rotate counterclockwise.

Click to view attachment
[click to animate]
S_Walker
How would I find out the exact times certain images were recorded? For example, images W00067528.jpg and W00067533.jpg appear to have been recorded one Saturnian day apart. I'd like to measure the movement of features between the two images, so exact image times become important.
S_Walker
Animation of CB2 WAC images recorded 5/15 and 5/16. Couldn't get it to play on my flickr page...
Click to view attachment
S_Walker
Excellent Mike! BTW, how do you get an animated gif to play on flickr? Tried uploading one last night but it doesn't work. You can see my animation in the "looking ahead" thread, unless the mods decide it doesn't belong there (though I put it there as part of a question).
djellison
You have to click the option to see it 'full size'
S_Walker
QUOTE (djellison @ May 19 2011, 09:47 AM) *
You have to click the option to see it 'full size'

Doesn't work, at least on the two animated GIFs I loaded. I bet it's because I have a free account, rather than a "pro" account.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (S_Walker @ May 19 2011, 03:32 AM) *
How would I find out the exact times certain images were recorded? For example, images W00067528.jpg and W00067533.jpg appear to have been recorded one Saturnian day apart. I'd like to measure the movement of features between the two images, so exact image times become important.

When the raws page was first launched, you could figure this out fairly easily because you could search on time as well as date. But they removed that capability at the request of the imaging team. So now the only way I know of to find out the time that an image was taken -- apart from asking an imaging team member very nicely -- is to use the Rings Node Saturn Viewer. I plug in the date of the image and 12:00 UTC and then nudge forward and backward in time until I can produce a view that matches the image. This is far easier for views of moons (or views of Saturn containing moons) than it is for Saturn images, because the moons move around so fast.
elakdawalla
I think that's correct. A "pro" account doesn't cost very much though. The Amateur Space Images website that was supposed to launch in March (ahem. I know. It's in alpha right now, still working it) will allow you to upload and display animated gifs.
S_Walker
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 19 2011, 10:31 AM) *
I think that's correct. A "pro" account doesn't cost very much though. The Amateur Space Images website that was supposed to launch in March (ahem. I know. It's in alpha right now, still working it) will allow you to upload and display animated gifs.

Thanks!
JohnVV

to add to the very good answer above

once the images are on PDS in the label (.lbl) then the time is listed down to the thousandth of a sec.
example :N1637461416_1.LBL N1637461416_1.CUB

IMAGE_TIME = 2009-325T01:40:25.491
Poolio
Wow, those are some of the most striking images we've seen yet.
Decepticon
Someone Please Color that!

Thats my new Desktop smile.gif
dilo
QUOTE (Decepticon @ May 23 2011, 04:29 PM) *
Someone Please Color that!

Attempt with RGB combination N00171682+3+4 (with motion compensation):
dilo
In a similar attempt on Titan+Saturn I wasn't able to reach good colors, so I made a hand-colorization of N0017167 with enhanced contrast and removed hot-pixel:
Click to view attachment
I hope is worth a wallpaper... rolleyes.gif
Decepticon
Excellent!
kyokugaisha
Quick composite colourisation of N00171681 using N00171684/3/2 and a little unsharp mask.

Click to view attachment
kyokugaisha
And the same for N00171680 using N00171680/79/78.

Click to view attachment
ngunn
What an entrance - those are really good. Thanks!
kyokugaisha
No probs! Everyone is normally so quick on here.

Here is the last one using N00171692/1/0 over N00171689. This was a bit harder as I've tried to keep Saturn's unlit side in the background thus leaving some compression artifacts.

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Brilliant again! A good call keeping Saturn visible - I really like what you're doing. You'll have more fans in the morning.
machi
Very nice kodak moments and beautiful processed images rolleyes.gif .
But I think, that famous image with Enceladus' geysers, Titan and rings is still unbeaten cool.gif .
elakdawalla
Speaking of which, that data is now public (part of the last PDS release) and is much better in that format than the raw JPEG format, but no one has yet stepped forward to redo that awesome group effort version of the image....
S_Walker
My attempt at Tethys, Titan, and ring-lit Saturn.
Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
Moved several posts discussing the use of IMG2PNG to convert/calibrate Cassini images into the appropriate thread.
Ian R
My attempt at producing a stacked, up-sampled, Titan-only and colour-corrected composite:

Click to view attachment
john_s
Gorgeous images! It seems kinda churlish to point out that they are all are upside down, with north at the bottom...

John
S_Walker
QUOTE (john_s @ May 27 2011, 05:20 PM) *
Gorgeous images! It seems kinda churlish to point out that they are all are upside down, with north at the bottom...

John

It's customary for planetary imagers to depict images south up because until the mid-70's, everyone observing the planets used newtonian reflectors.
ugordan
Then the next logical question comes to mind - why haven't we been doing that for the first 4 years of Cassini's mission...
john_s
For those who aren't familiar with the conventions, amateur astronomers often display telescopic planetary images with south at the top, to approximate the view through the eyepiece of many telescopes (for observers in the Earth's northern hemisphere). Professional astronomers, and planetary scientists (professional and amateur) working with spacecraft images, usually put north at the top unless there's a good reason not to do so. Personally, I'd like to see the amateur astronomers change their convention, in this digital age, so we can all look at the solar system the same way...

John
Ian R
Here's a (north up) version, with Dione just peeking out behind Titan:

Click to view attachment
stevesliva
QUOTE (john_s @ May 27 2011, 07:56 PM) *
For those who aren't familiar with the conventions, amateur astronomers often display telescopic planetary images with south at the top, to approximate the view through the eyepiece of many telescopes (for observers in the Earth's northern hemisphere). Professional astronomers, and planetary scientists (professional and amateur) working with spacecraft images, usually put north at the top unless there's a good reason not to do so.

I'd wondered why that was, when the storm on Saturn and the impact on Jupiter made it apparent. Makes sense. Maybe we'll use the metric system and the British will drive on the correct side of the road soon, too.
AndyG
Oi! We do drive on the correct side of the road.

It, urrrmm, keeps our sword arms free. rolleyes.gif

Andy
Stu
QUOTE (stevesliva @ May 31 2011, 03:34 AM) *
and the British will drive on the correct side of the road soon, too.

Oh, we do drive on the right side... the side that lets us have a good view of the dragons, Red London buses and CorBlimeyMaryPoppins! chimmernee sweeps that are just everywhere... laugh.gif
S_Walker
QUOTE (john_s @ May 27 2011, 07:56 PM) *
For those who aren't familiar with the conventions, amateur astronomers often display telescopic planetary images with south at the top, to approximate the view through the eyepiece of many telescopes (for observers in the Earth's northern hemisphere). Professional astronomers, and planetary scientists (professional and amateur) working with spacecraft images, usually put north at the top unless there's a good reason not to do so. Personally, I'd like to see the amateur astronomers change their convention, in this digital age, so we can all look at the solar system the same way...

John

It's not a big deal, really. After all, there is no "up" in space...
NGC3314
QUOTE (S_Walker @ May 31 2011, 05:57 AM) *
It's not a big deal, really. After all, there is no "up" in space...

Most folks here may not be old enough to recall that there were once two conventions for east and west on the Moon's surface - the astronomical convention corresponded to which limb faced which horizon (matching celestial east and west). That yielded to the astronautical convention, matching the terrestrial sense, about the time it appeared people might be going there and such agencies as the USAF got into the lunar cartography business. I suspect this switch saved more confusion that we can easily imagine. The switch was institutionalized by the IAU in 1961.

A quick Google check shows that, for example the 1953 Questar map reproduced on the telescope barrel labels the western limb on the side of Mare Crisium.
john_s
And of course Mare Orientale is in the middle of the moon's western hemisphere...

Meanwhile, there are still two conflicting definitions of "North" on Pluto and other retrograde-spinning worlds, and for planetary satellites, scientists use west longitudes while engineers sometimes use east longitudes, so all is not yet harmonious.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.