Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawn data in the PDS
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Dawn
Pages: 1, 2, 3
elakdawalla
Hey folks, Christmas came just a little bit late this year...

http://dawnpub.igpp.ucla.edu

DAWN DATA RELEASE: LEVEL 1A DATA FROM APPROACH AND SURVEY

The Dawn project has created a public website that is available to serve the cruise and Vesta data sets that have been delivered to the Planetary Data System (PDS) while the data are still under review. Data are available from all three Dawn instruments, the Framing Camera (FC), the Visual and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIR), and the Gamma Ray and Neutron Detector (GRaND). The data that are currently available are raw data, in engineering units, sometimes referred to as EDRs by the PDS or as NASA level-1a data. Additional data sets will be added when they are submitted to the PDS.

The Dawn website is located at:

http://dawnpub.igpp.ucla.edu

Users of these data should exercise caution. Invariably there will be errors or omissions in the documentation. Please report any problems...
It is a LOT of data. Just the Vesta Approach includes about 2000 FC images! Wow!!!

I think that the first thing I'm going to work on is that approach sequence/movie that I wish I'd had in real time. The rotation of Vesta through the image sequences makes color composition very hard, but I am sure there are people here who are up to it. I hope someone here can come up with a pretty color global shot that I can put into a comparison montage!
elakdawalla
I'm so excited about this data that I'm breaking my usual prohibition against posting links to my own blog entries. Dawn approaches Vesta, how I wanted it to happen!
elakdawalla
(Sorry if I am talking to my self here. I hope it's only because other folks are asleep or haven't downloaded the data yet.) The one thing I'm still scratching my head about is that it doesn't seem they ever shot a multi-frame mosaic quickly enough to avoid Vesta rotating underneath them, at least not that I've found yet. (I hope someone will tell me I overlooked something.) There seems to be absolutely no way to make a high-resolution global mosaic without reprojecting images to compensate for rotation; and with Vesta being as lumpy as it is, that requires a good shape model and some code. The final set of images taken before the start of the Survey mission is called "mosaic" but it seems to have recorded a full rotation of Vesta with the spacecraft sweeping back and forth along a line of longitude, taking three frames to cover Vesta from north to south, letting it rotate underneath Dawn. It is perfect for a global base map at constant illumination geometry, but I can't get my high-res global view. I want my high-res global view!
Astro0
Awesome work Emily.

With the images and animation you have posted so far, it kinda proves that we were right to complain make our plea for more images to be released.

I only wish I had some idea of how to process these files. Tutorial references please wink.gif
Stu
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 15 2012, 06:16 AM) *
I'm so excited about this data that I'm breaking my usual prohibition against posting links to my own blog entries. Dawn approaches Vesta, how I wanted it to happen!

Emily, none of us would mind if you did that more often, honestly! I'm sure new members especially would welcome it if you let UMSF know when you'd written something you think people might find interesting. I think we forget sometimes that new people find UMSF, and take up an interest in space exploration, every day, so we shouldn't assume everyone reading UMSF posts already knows the backgrounds of the posters. So if you want to post a link to something you've written, fire away! :_
machi
I'm very happy with that data release, and your animation, Emily, is fantastic!
It's interesting, that Vesta looks in this animation somewhat crisper and better imaginable as real object than in first images (and animations) from approach phase published last year.

"I'm so excited about this data that I'm breaking my usual prohibition against posting links to my own blog entries"
I haven't problem with this as I often do the same thing smile.gif.
Adam Hurcewicz
sad.gif now I see "This site is temporarily under construction"

PDP8E
Emily, nice animation!
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Adam Hurcewicz @ Feb 15 2012, 11:00 AM) *
sad.gif now I see "This site is temporarily under construction"

Hm. Me too. I haven't received any "cease and desist" style email though. I haven't had any more time to do more image processing today, unfortunately.
Adam Hurcewicz
So where is this data ? Anyone knows ?
pablogm1024
Is it right to say that, if data has been publicly available at least once, it should always be?

I am sorry if this almost falls into the OT category, but I thought it might be worth discussing. If anyone disagrees, feel free to make yourself heard.
Floyd
I doubt that anyone in this forum would say no.
You are being a bit cryptic. Has the data been removed? If so, for what reason?
A different question:
Would releasing data for a period of time and then removing it fulfil the mission's obligations for data release? I would guess no one here would say yes.
Phil Stooke
The original link went into the data page, now it goes to the site's home page. It's most likely that it really is just 'under construction', still being developed, and that the proper link will be up and running soon.

Phil

Phil Stooke
Just noticed this at the PDS Small Bodies Node:

http://pds-smallbodies.astro.umd.edu/data_...ase_sched.shtml

Some interesting things coming up... including the Dawn dates and Rosetta Lander Mars flyby data...

Phil
antoniseb
Including, that the Hayabasa imaging and v2 of the LIDAR has finally been released.
machi
Does anyone know, what happened to Dawn's FC raw data? Data release was scheduled for 1.3.2012 (more than one month ago) and PDS is still empty. Some problems with calibrations or something similar?
Phil Stooke
No, much more complicated. There is a disagreement over certain aspects of the documentation and PDS will not ingest the data until the situation is resolved.

Phil Stooke

machi
Thanks for answering my question!
elakdawalla
I talked with several scientists at LPSC about this and while we won't see it at the PDS any time soon, they all told me I should go ahead and play with the data and encourage others to do the same. I have all the released FC data. When I can find time to work with it I'll make chunks of it available. But we're in the middle of a complete site overhaul just now and I don't have time to play sad.gif
machi
"When I can find time to work with it I'll make chunks of it available."

That would be nice! I have only few images from 11.8.2011.
Sarunia
According to http://pds-smallbodies.astro.umd.edu/data_...ase_sched.shtml, it seems that we still have to wait only few days (Finally !?)
smile.gif
Phil Stooke
May not be reliable. I don't think the underlying issue has been dealt with yet.

Phil

morganism
LAMO data released for Grand

http://sbn.psi.edu/pds/archive/dawn.html
TheAnt
Water on Vesta, that's a surprise.

Science daily

And Nasa including one flash video file and the pitted terrain on the bottom of Marcia crater.
ngunn
I don't find it surprising. There's water ice almost everywhere except on exposed planetary surfaces. Plenty on Mars, over a wide range of latitudes. The next large objects are the Jovian moons. Only one is non-icy: the rest are mainly ice.

I think all the big asteroids will have a lot of ice, though mostly sub-surface. Apart from ice incorporated when they formed they may also have ice originating from later comet impacts. Visible ice may indicate nothing more than recent exposure.
Paolo
the original papers in Science Express:
Elemental Mapping by Dawn Reveals Exogenic H in Vesta's Regolith
Pitted Terrain on Vesta and Implications for the Presence of Volatiles
and a comment article also in Science Express
A Golden Spike for Planetary Science
ngunn
Freely available Supplementary Materials from the 'Pitted Terrain' paper include lots of great images: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/suppl/20...1/Denevi.SM.pdf
Paolo
still more papers on Dawn at Vesta in today's Nature (sorry, I don't know whether this is the good topic):
Distinctive space weathering on Vesta from regolith mixing processes
Dark material on Vesta from the infall of carbonaceous volatile-rich material
machi
And now for something completely different - Dawn data in the PDS!

Few experiments from images FC21A0003204_11205081617F7K, FC21A0003199_11205081516F2K and FC21A0003205_11205081627F8K (all 24.7.2011)

First image is with "normal" colors (I don't know how close is this to true colors, but its from filters closest to RGB standard).
Second image is with saturated colors.
All images are rotated 180° to the right, so Rheasilvia is on top.
Sarunia
It's fantastic news smile.gif Finally we have it !
Thanks Machi i love you image with exaggerated colors.
elakdawalla
Here's a page I built to browse the Vesta approach data. It's a heavy download; I should probably split it into smaller pages but for now it's easier to keep in one big page. I figured some of you might find this useful.

https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/daw...n_approach.html
elakdawalla
Too tired to do anything very insightful with the data, but here's an animation of a limb survey toward the end of the Survey Orbit phase.
tedstryk
Oh for a little bit of panning about...sometimes I hate reaction wheels rolleyes.gif
elakdawalla
I have not yet seen a *single* color global mosaic. As far as I know, the only way to get a higher-resolution color global view than the 100-ish-pixel ones from way early in the approach phase is to do it the hard way: build a shape model, create global color and albedo maps, reproject things back out to a simulated view. It's making me absolutely crazy.
machi
QUOTE (Sarunia @ Nov 15 2012, 01:49 PM) *
.... i love you image with exaggerated colors.

Thanks!

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 16 2012, 06:16 PM) *
I have not yet seen a *single* color global mosaic. As far as I know, the only way to get a higher-resolution color global view than the 100-ish-pixel ones from way early in the approach phase is to do it the hard way: build a shape model, create global color and albedo maps, reproject things back out to a simulated view. It's making me absolutely crazy.

It's not the only way, nevertheless it's difficult.
BTW, thanks for that huge gallery, it's very useful.

Another glimpse from my planned blog entry - southern mountain in red-infrared view:
elakdawalla
I would be very grateful if you could do that one in approximate true color. I want to update my "all asteroids visited by spacecraft" poster and do it in color this time. Fortunately I won't be hampered by there being no color global photos of Vesta because Vesta is so big that if I tried to put the whole thing on it, you wouldn't see most of the others. So I'm only planning to have it peek over the edge.
machi
I haven't that one in "true" colors, but I have this one (which is similar) in filters 7, 2, 8 (centered at 653, 555 and 438 nm).
Based on spectra, Vesta is red object, so this is probably close enough to true colors.
elakdawalla
Thank you! And here is another index page, to the Survey phase data. And I have now split the Approach and Survey pages into sub-pages to avoid bringing Firefox to its knees.

https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/daw...awn_survey.html
Bjorn Jonsson
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 16 2012, 05:16 PM) *

Yes, that's the way to go I think. And that's exactly what I'll probably do unless a shape model gets released within a not too long time (not likely to happen I think).
Tom Tamlyn
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 16 2012, 12:16 PM) *

Your blog post today discussing this problem mentions that the Vesta imaging team is working on a detailed 3d model “of this lumpy bumpy world” that is not likely to be released publicly soon. It’s also my understanding from past posts that Vesta's topography is being mapped for the possibly separate purpose of “mapping,” not just the surface, but the density and distribution of Vesta’s entire mass, and combining this information with delicate Radio and Doppler effect measurements, all with the goal of “obtaining a subterranean” 3D map of the dwarf planet’s interior and also an accurate 3D map of the gravity environment around the planet, for navigation and other purposes.

Is this a unitary 3D mapping project? Or is their little overlap between the work needed to create a 3D model needed for the visual "planetary taxidermy" described in your current post, and the work needed for subterranean visualization and the mapping of the gravity field.
Bjorn Jonsson
And now I suddenly remember that already more than a year ago (!) Tayfun Öner was creating preliminary but remarkably good 3D/shape models of Vesta:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=176794
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=177432
djellison
You might want to take a look at this regarding shape files..

http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/DAWN/kernels/dsk/

Sarunia
This shape is from Dr Robert Gaskell produced after the survey orbit.
As i remember, this shape use the old system coordinate before the first change (Claudia as prime meridian) by Dawn Team.
I made (year ago) a conversion for cmod file (I choose cmod because i think it is very easy 3d file structures to read) here:
http://patzawa.perso.sfr.fr/Download/Astro...que/Mesh/Vesta/

But even with shape i have a problem to build small mosaic Vesta rotates very fast and condition of illumination change as well.
Sarunia
My quick attempt of projection to the shape model.
View of Rheasilvia with FC21A0003510_11207035045F1F and FC21A0003511_11207035630F1F:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59CyNAuSD8c

Stefan
QUOTE (machi @ Nov 16 2012, 07:57 PM) *
I haven't that one in "true" colors, but I have this one (which is similar) in filters 7, 2, 8 (centered at 653, 555 and 438 nm).
Based on spectra, Vesta is red object, so this is probably close enough to true colors.

I think you're quite close. Here's what I get for the "true" colors of Steins, Lutetia, and Vesta.

Click to view attachment
machi
Thank you for that image! That will be useful for my next project. smile.gif
Explorer1
Just remember they're not to scale in Stefan's pic, machi.
machi
I think that albedo is in scale.
Explorer1
The colors are fine, I know. I just mean the sizes in the picture are not correct; Emily made a montage that shows them right.
Stefan
QUOTE (machi @ Nov 19 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Thank you for that image! That will be useful for my next project. smile.gif

You are very welcome! A few words on the image. I made it because I was curious how these asteroids would appear to the eye. I tried to display them at their correct relative brightness, as you guessed correctly. We all know that there are many ways to approach "true color". This is my version; now that the data are public, anyone is free to make her or his own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.