Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 163 - Mar 18-Apr 5, 2012 - Enceladus E17, Dione, Janus
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
Paolo
the "looking ahead" for Rev 163 is now up http://www.ciclops.org/view/7112/Rev163?js=1
in addition to the Enceladus flybys, there will be interesting observations of the Phoebe ring, that IIRC were lost when Cassini safed in late-2010 (or was it 2009?)
volcanopele
Please don't jinx it.... ohmy.gif

Yes, there was a Phoebe ring observation during Rev140, which was lost due to the safing event in November 2010.
jasedm
Some bonus pictures of Dione on the latest rev from ~40,000km - oddly not mentioned on the looking-ahead article. Janus/Enceladus/Titan pictures not down yet - nice revolution this one.
volcanopele
Sorry that was my fault. I didn't notice the extra trigger on that observation...
brellis
In this ~gorgeous!~ image of the Enceladus plumes, something is blocking the light on the leftmost "plume". Clouds? Dust? Or is that the sun?

gwiz
QUOTE (brellis @ Mar 29 2012, 12:24 AM) *
In this ~gorgeous!~ image of the Enceladus plumes, something is blocking the light on the leftmost "plume". Clouds? Dust? Or is that the sun?

Guess the lowest part of the plume is in the shadow of Enceladus itself, in other words, that particular plume originates on the dark side of the satellite and only moves into the light at high altitude.
Phil Stooke
Some lovely new pics of Janus, including a transit of Saturn:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=256953

Phil
kemcab2012
Thread resurrection. There were several mentions from microbloggers at LPSC this week about Enceladus' plumes. Because of this, I pulled imagery from the latest PDS releases and made a video of the three recordings from Revs 159, 161, and 163.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.