Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSL- The People
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
nprev
Scott Maxwell, veteran rover driver who is also a UMSF member, has a great article concerning him today on CNN: His Other Car Is On Mars.

Go, Scott! Go MSL!!! smile.gif
Astro0
We've been very lucky to have a lot of the mission people frequent the Forum. wink.gif
Some are extremely giving with their input and a whole bunch just lurk.

I find it amazing that people such as Paolo and Rob have time at all, given the pace of their day jobs.

Thanks to ALL of you for being here and sharing your knowledge with us. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
jekbradbury
Another fun article on the people behind the mission: http://www.npr.org/2012/08/03/157597270/cr...tw&cc=share
RoverDriver
The MSL Rover Planner team:

Click to view attachment

Back Row, Left to Right: Matt Heverly (M), John Wright (M), Jeff Biesiadecki(M), Chris Leger (A), Matt Robinson(A), Avi Okon(T), Scott Mccloskey(T), Scott Maxwell(M), Paolo Bellutta(M), Brian Cooper(M)
Front Row, Left to Right: Frank Hartman(A), Vandana Verma(A), Joseph Carsten(A), Mark Maimone(M), Chris Roumeliotis(T), Jeng Yen(A)

(M) = Mobility RP
(A) = Arm RP
(T) = Turret RP
brellis
One of my favorite moments of 'public outreach' occurred on "Car Talk" - the NPR show. Somebody called in describing a stuck wheel; Click and Clack both thought the "car" should be junked.

"How much is it worth?"

"About $450 million"

It was one of the rover drivers calling in about Spirit's stuck wheel! laugh.gif
Stu
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 5 2012, 01:13 AM) *
Scott Maxwell, veteran rover driver who is also a UMSF member, has a great article concerning him today on CNN: His Other Car Is On Mars.

Go, Scott! Go MSL!!! smile.gif

I actually got quite emotional reading that, it captures Scott *perfectly*. Brilliant piece about an amazing guy.
helvick
I have to say hats off to the NASA/JPL media\PR team on the way they have created an interest in the people as well as the mission, the articles about Adam Steltzner, this one about Scott and others have really brought the mission alive in a way that I've never seen before.

RoverDriver
QUOTE (brellis @ Aug 5 2012, 02:22 AM) *
One of my favorite moments of 'public outreach' occurred on "Car Talk" - the NPR show. Somebody called in describing a stuck wheel; Click and Clack both thought the "car" should be junked.

"How much is it worth?"

"About $450 million"

It was one of the rover drivers calling in about Spirit's stuck wheel! laugh.gif

That was John Wright. On Earth he drives a 'vette.

Paolo
lyford
This gigapan shows who's who at their stations for EDL in Mission Control....
djellison
QUOTE (lyford @ Aug 5 2012, 07:34 PM) *
This gigapan shows who's who at their stations for EDL in Mission Control....

It's not really a Gigapan ... but it seemed the right place to host it and tag people in it ... I took that smile.gif
jamescanvin
Yeah, I was wondering how you got everyone to stand still enough for gigapanning! ;-)
djellison
I had 2 minutes during the last ORT smile.gif
rtphokie
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Aug 5 2012, 02:45 AM) *
The MSL Rover Planner team:

Click to view attachment

Back Row, Left to Right: Matt Heverly (M), John Wright (M), Jeff Biesiadecki(M), Chris Leger (A), Matt Robinson(A), Avi Okon(T), Scott Mccloskey(T), Scott Maxwell(M), Paolo Bellutta(M), Brian Cooper(M)
Front Row, Left to Right: Frank Hartman(A), Vandana Verma(A), Joseph Carsten(A), Mark Maimone(M), Chris Roumeliotis(T), Jeng Yen(A)

(M) = Mobility RP
(A) = Arm RP
(T) = Turret RP

Where is this photo from? Is it a NASA/JPL photo?
RoverDriver
QUOTE (rtphokie @ Aug 8 2012, 05:38 PM) *
Where is this photo from? Is it a NASA/JPL photo?

My camera. One of the drivers was not present that day and had to be photoshopped in.

Paolo
stevesliva
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Aug 8 2012, 07:59 PM) *
My camera. One of the drivers was not present that day and had to be photoshopped in.

Ha! Was wondering about that.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Aug 8 2012, 07:15 PM) *
Ha! Was wondering about that.

We did a study, we modeled each rover driver with a mixture of gaussians, ran a few thousands Monte Carlo simulations on one of the computer clusters at JPL to compute the maximum likelyhood of having all rover planners in a space interval less than 5 meters and a time interval less than 10 minutes. The result of the simulations came out to be Aug 1st, 2012 2pm PDT at the JPL Mall. We got a 93.75% clustering, not bad.

Paolo
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Aug 8 2012, 04:59 PM) *
One of the drivers was not present that day and had to be photoshopped in.

Darn good job. If I had to guess I'd say Matt Heverly.
djellison
Nahh - Chris Leger
elakdawalla
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Aug 8 2012, 08:27 PM) *
We did a study, we modeled each rover driver with a mixture of gaussians, ran a few thousands Monte Carlo simulations on one of the computer clusters at JPL to compute the maximum likelyhood of having all rover planners in a space interval less than 5 meters and a time interval less than 10 minutes. The result of the simulations came out to be Aug 1st, 2012 2pm PDT at the JPL Mall. We got a 93.75% clustering, not bad.

Paolo

You know you're a geek when you think this is as funny as I think it is smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.