Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSL Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
Phil Stooke
Sol 2972, just a little hop up the slope to reach the rough rocky surface.

Phil

Click to view attachment
nogal
Update to sol 2972. Curiosity is under 100m of crossing into a new quadrant.
Fernando
Click to view attachment

Phil Stooke
Here's the map for sol 2977, driving south to get to the dark sands.

Phil

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Hi Phil -

I've got another name query for you. This time it's 'Trodra'. Angie who is from Shetland is here to back me up this time. We are both pretty sure the intended name is Trondra, one of the smaller inhabited islands of the Shetland group.
Phil Stooke
I'm sure you are right. The dubious spelling comes verbatim from the JPL update, but they have had other errors, some of which I catch. I have corrected the spelling in this new closeup map. Most likely, when the PDS Analysts Notebook gets to this sol in about 6 months it will turn out that they had it right and the mistake is just in the update. However, if the error is also in the PDS I will change it back later so the map matches the official record, error or not.

I really appreciate this help and i welcome any other corrections people may point out.

Phil

Last map of the year:

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update for sol 2995, retracing tracks to look at a few rocks bypassed earlier.

Phil

Click to view attachment
climber
On July 12th 2012, one month before Curiosity landing, Old friend Eduardo posted this map a few sols after Oppy crossed the 3000 sols mark as will do Cury tomorrow.
I was wondering where we where by then... such a long time ago.
Here’s the answer.

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
It's nice to see that again. And here we are with Curiosity at sol 3000:

Click to view attachment

The exact path followed on sol 3000 is still conjectural.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Conjecturing again for the path, but Paul's partial panorama gives a good location for sol 3005.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
We had a c. 70 m drive on sol 3008, making good progress towards the hills. The position is from Paul's panorama. The JPL map is not updating at the moment so the path is still guessed between stops, but the stops should be pretty good.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 22 2021, 08:36 AM) *
We had a c. 70 m drive on sol 3008....

The SPICE/NAIF post drive file with lat/lon took a while to update, but they concur smile.gif
• Planetocentric longitude: 137.401190581490°
• Planetocentric latitude: -4.733529048236°
Phil Stooke
Wow, they have locations down to the nanometer...

Phil

Phil Stooke
This is an update to the sol 3005 map with target names and a corrected route. I have changed the update name 'Jarishof' to what it is presumably supposed to be, Jarlshof. That will have to be changed back if the error propagates into the PDS because my map has to match the PDS record.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 23 2021, 09:00 AM) *
I have changed the update name 'Jarishof' to what it is presumably supposed to be, Jarlshof....

I noticed that mis-spelling in the mission update. I spent an enjoyable few hours at the archaeological site Jarlshof, when I was working on Shetland back in the winter of '79 (seems like yesterday). Lovely place but a tad windswept.
Phil Stooke
We had a c. 40 m drive east on sol 3011.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
If you have ever wondered what all these maps would look like joined together... here they are. I think you can download it, let me know if it doesn't work (you may have to view it and then save it).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytnkfwfdiklpnjh/c...averse.jpg?dl=0

The maps were not designed to be joined like this so the overlaps don't work well but it gives you an idea of the whole traverse.

I did this to make sure I had not mislabelled the grid, accounting for the positioning error discussed recently. I think the labels are OK.

Phil
PaulH51
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 27 2021, 08:27 AM) *
If you have ever wondered what all these maps would look like joined together... here they are....

That's mightily impressive Phil smile.gif
vikingmars
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 27 2021, 01:27 AM) *
If you have ever wondered what all these maps would look like joined together... here they are. I think you can download it, let me know if it doesn't work (you may have to view it and then save it).
The maps were not designed to be joined like this so the overlaps don't work well but it gives you an idea of the whole traverse.
I did this to make sure I had not mislabelled the grid, accounting for the positioning error discussed recently. I think the labels are OK.
Phil

Congratulations Phil for this impressive work of yours wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Phil Stooke
Merci! Paul's partial panorama and the Hazcams give me this position for sol 3013.

Phil

Click to view attachment
nogal
Update to sol 3015.
Fernando
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I was not very accurate with my sol 3013 position but this one for sol 3015 is good, all updated from the JPL map.

Click to view attachment

Phil
climber
Phil,
LaroQue is with a Q not a G
(We’re in France now wink.gif )
nogal
QUOTE (climber @ Jan 30 2021, 11:40 AM) *
LaroQue is with a Q not a G

Thanks climber. I made the same mistake... "La Rogue Gageac" is unmistakably mentioned 4 times in Mission Updates for sols 3010-3012. Searching for it in Google Maps takes us to La Roque Gageac described as "a commune in the Dordogne department in Nouvelle-Aquitaine, southwestern France". Hélas! Il me faudra verifier les noms plus souvent!
Fernando

neo56
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 27 2021, 01:27 AM) *
[...]
Phil

Wow, that's really awesome Phil! I've often wondered what that large map would look like. Thanks!
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Climber. Where would I be without a dedicated band of fact-checkers here to help me? Corrections are always welcome.

After a nearly 100 m drive on sol 3018 the map gets another update.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Greenish
And an updated extra-colorful contour map for Groundhog Day.

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Update to sol 3020, taken from the updated JPL map with names from the updates.

Phil

Click to view attachment
nogal
Update to sol 3022.
Tomorrow (Feb 7) is the start of Mars Year 36. I'll place a flag once I know whether or not the rover has moved.
Fernando
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I modified the base map and updated it to sol 3025. I hope the eastwards excursion fits on this base map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
There was a drive on sol 3026, so here is a map update. The jagged cliff we are seeing in recent images is clearly visible in this map near the right side.

Phil

Click to view attachment
charborob
Phil, I think the name "Rouchechuart" on your map for sol 3026 should be corrected to "Rochechouart".
polaris
QUOTE (charborob @ Feb 10 2021, 01:07 PM) *
Phil, I think the name "Rouchechuart" on your map for sol 3026 should be corrected to "Rochechouart".

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroblème_de...ouart-Chassenon
rolleyes.gif
Phil Stooke
Thanks polaris and charborob. That name is straight out of the mission update but they are quite unreliable on name spelling and I just don't have time at this stage to check every name. I appreciate your help.

And the name in question is an impact crater in France and on Mars, appropriately. When I know which feature the name refers to I will indicate it on the map.

Here is an update for sol 3027 - driving every sol while the planetary rotations align.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 3028, another drive. We are turning slightly north to get around that patch of dark dusty ripples, then more south to the bright material.

Phil

Click to view attachment
climber
Phil, should be Feuillade not Feiullade...
I thought all Canadians were speaking French wink.gif
nogal
Here is the update to sol 3028.
Fernando
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
We had a drive on sol 3032 and here is the map updated using Jan's panorama. EDIT: only just noticed Climber's spelling correction and added it, so I removed the erroneous version and replaced it. What can I say? I grew up in the UK and now (having retired from Ontario) I live in British Columbia so my high school French is a bit rusty.

Phil

Click to view attachment
polaris
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 15 2021, 10:31 PM) *
We had a drive on sol 3032 and here is the map updated using Jan's panorama. EDIT: only just noticed Climber's spelling correction and added it, so I removed the erroneous version and replaced it. What can I say? I grew up in the UK and now (having retired from Ontario) I live in British Columbia so my high school French is a bit rusty.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Your French is maybe as rusty as my English is wink.gif .
Others spelling/writing corrections : Grand-Brassac (with a "-") and Monbazillac (without i after ll). tongue.gif
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Polaris. The problem comes from the source of the names, the near-daily updates from JPL such as this one:

https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/mission-updates/8...-freezing-cold/

You can see the errors you mentioned in that update. If I notice an error I change it but usually I am too busy to pay attention and I just copy and paste.

I am always pleased to have the corrections and I will add them to the map (and please everyone, keep sending them, don't think I will be offended). Ultimately, however, my map has to match what goes into the public record in the PDS Analyst's notebook. If I find, 6 months from now, that the PDS has the correct spelling I will use it, but if they have the wrong spelling I have to match them, not the official name of the place.

Phil
kymani76
Curiosity map update to sol 3028.

Click to view attachment
Clean version

Click to view attachment
Wider view in color (and less precise), blue lines being calculated water surface flow from DTM.
It is of some interesting that algoritm produces viable flow channels at all.

Thank you to Phil and Fernando for continuously updating traverse data.
Phil Stooke
You're welcome. Hard to believe we have been doing this for over 3000 sols.

And blow me down, boys (he shantied) if we didn't just have another drive on sol 3036.

Phil

Click to view attachment
nogal
A little over 2300 sols, in my case. Glad the route map is useful.

Here is the update to sol 2036. I've made two small changes:
  1. Created two units in the quadrants folder: Grid (hides/displays the quadrants' grid) and Names (hides/displays the quadrants' names). Each can be toggled independently. The units (subfolders) will not be initially visible. Just use the twistie to expand the containing folder.
  2. The route beyond the PDS data has, till now, been a thin white line. I have changed it to a black and white track, the same width as the rest of the path.
Fernando

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Another drive towards the bright outcrop on sol 3038. The new position is based on Jan's panorama.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 3040, a shortish drive, maybe 15 m to the east.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 3042: a drive of about 40 m to the east.

Phil

Click to view attachment
polaris
Hello Phil,

"Tranchecouyère" needs a "è" (french and accents...).

The other Phil wink.gif
nogal
Merci Polaris. Heureusement mon clavier à tous ces caractères accentués. rolleyes.gif

Update to sol 3042.
Fernando
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
"Hello Phil,

"Tranchecouyère" needs a "è" (french and accents...).

The other Phil"

Thanks! It will show up next time I post.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Here is an update for sol 3045, the path only approximate for the last drive. I corrected the missing accent. Names for the sol 3042 site are still subject to correction!

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 3047, a good drive - we should have an excellent view of the cliff now.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.