Full Version: MSL self portrait
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3
elakdawalla
This is going to be awesome.
pmetschan
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 31 2012, 10:26 AM) *
This is going to be awesome.

I have been waiting for an image like this for yeeeears!
Stu
Thumbnails mosaic of self portrait...

Click to view attachment

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Explorer1
Look ma, no hands! You can't even see the arm...
Time to replace that dusty self-portrait on the social media sites.
pospa
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 31 2012, 09:21 PM) *

Fantastic, Stu! ... but isn't it flipped left to right? unsure.gif
Stu
Yes it is, I did it in a bit of a rush, but it doesn't really matter, does it? Just a pretty pic, not an official NASA product :-)

But here you go, corrected view...

Click to view attachment
ronald
This will bring some light to the surface brightness "debate"!
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 31 2012, 08:21 PM) *
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Oh ... my ... god! blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
Can barely wait for the full-res.
Explorer1
And Scott Maxwell says there's another surprise coming tomorrow; no idea what that could be.
Astro0
Did my own version of the thumbnail self-portrait but then as soon as I get that done, down come the full-size images. blink.gif

Click to view attachment
James Sorenson
Wow! smile.gif

Full Resolution

EDIT: A horizon corrected version

Explorer1
The upsidedown landscape reflected in the chemcam just cinches it for me....
jvandriel
My view of the Sol 84 Mahli Portrait.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Cargo Cult
I meant to just stitch a couple of images of the Mastcam together, but ended up doing most of 'em:

(Link above goes to blog-thing - alternatively there's a top-secret link to ultra-jumbo version just there. Seeing other people's panoramas, I realise the bits of horizon I couldn't get to stitch automatically were actually important. I reserve the right to update things! ;-) )
KrisK
...and I just focused on MSL's mast smile.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55907406@N08/...in/photostream/
Tom Tamlyn
Unbelievable. Where's the swear jar ...

TTT

P.S. I've been wondering if it would be possible, without unreasonable effort, to use Mastcam images of the "missing" sections of the arm and turret, resized, reoriented, reprojected, and whatever else, to complete the self-portrait. I'm not sure the result would be a better picture; just curious if it could be done.

Edit: this was in response to Cargo Cult's version, one back from KrisK's.
ngunn
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Nov 1 2012, 06:49 AM) *
The upsidedown landscape reflected in the chemcam just cinches it for me....

... and in that upside down image we also see (presumably) the reflection of MAHLI. Now here's a question: When I peer hard at what I assume is the reflection of the MAHLI lens I can persuade myself I'm seeing something reflected in that too. Just a few pixels, and it's not clear what. Maybe I'm making it up. rolleyes.gif It's a bit of a mad idea but I'm sure if there's anything in it somebody here will sleuth it out.
jmknapp
Very dramatic. Here's a color-corrected smile.gif version of KrisK's composite, using the LR filter:

Click to view attachment
mcaplinger
I'm glad everyone is enjoying the self-portrait. We worked all day yesterday doing the "official mosaic" of the thumbnails, and I expect we will do the same today on the full-res.

As a courtesy, it'd be nice if people could not broadly release these for a few days. If our mosaic turns out worse, then the better mosaic will win in the end. If you do release anyway, make sure you have the right image credits and be advised that I may be somewhat miffed at you. We've been working on this particular project since before landing and I feel like we are having to rush it to avoid being scooped.

ADMIN NOTE: The UMSF Admin team highly recommends that members use appropriate image credits. See the reference in the MSL FAQs.
fredk
Beautiful work, guys! Another signature image in space exploration. pancam.gif

QUOTE (ngunn @ Nov 1 2012, 12:46 PM) *
... and in that upside down image we also see (presumably) the reflection of MAHLI. Now here's a question: When I peer hard at what I assume is the reflection of the MAHLI lens I can persuade myself I'm seeing something reflected in that too.
Chemcam is not pointing towards mahli - if it was we'd be looking into the chemcam aperture on-axis. Instead chemcam is looking above mahli. So we're not seeing the mahli lens reflected. It looks like we're looking pretty close to on-axis into MC34, but I can't see any reflection there. Can someone figure out what bit of the rover we're seeing reflected in one of the L navcam lens covers?
akuo
I think the reflection of the turret is there right above the middle baffle/secondary mirror of the Chemcam. Would have to look at earlier Mastcam images of the arm and turret to recognise Mahli from that tiny reflection though.

Edit:Yes, it is there, with maybe half of Mahli's aperture visible too. I can't see how you could see anything out of its reflection though smile.gif

Cropped image with reduced and mirrored http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0000E2_DXXX.jpg included :

Click to view attachment
djellison
QUOTE (akuo @ Nov 1 2012, 08:34 AM) *
I think the reflection of the turret is there right above the middle baffle/secondary mirror of the Chemcam.

I concur - it's the turret we're seeing.
Ant103
Wow wow ! Some EXCELLENT work there smile.gif. And a big thanks to the MSSS and JPL team to manage acquiring such a wonderfull panoramic !

So, from my side (and after a great Halloween party…), here is my take :

By clicking on the picture, you will be brought on an "interactive" version of the panorama. Enjoy smile.gif.
mcaplinger
"Official" thumbnail mosaic:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/images/?ImageID=4837

The full image will probably look the same, only bigger.
maschnitz
Very exciting.

What's going on with the streaks in the shots towards tail/RTG? Overexposure?
ronald
Well, here is my version. I used the darker surface images as a base aligning the others to.
Click to view attachment

Big version here.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (ronald @ Nov 1 2012, 10:19 AM) *
Well, here is my version.

Very nice! It's too bad nobody has figured out how to remove the shutter smear off the RTG, but it gives us a competitive advantage. smile.gif

How did you get Mount Sharp that close to the rover? Did it just project that way or did you do something special? If you used hugin what projection did you use?
ugordan
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2012, 06:30 PM) *
It's too bad nobody has figured out how to remove the shutter smear off the RTG

Kinda like this?

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Full stereographic projected version smile.gif

Mcaplinger : I guess he used a rectilnear projection.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 1 2012, 10:44 AM) *
Full stereographic projected version smile.gif

You left out the partial frames, which you need to fill those gaps.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (ugordan @ Nov 1 2012, 10:43 AM) *
Kinda like this?

Yes. Now do http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0025E1_DXXX.jpg -- it's harder.
ngunn
QUOTE (akuo @ Nov 1 2012, 03:34 PM) *
Yes, it is there, with maybe half of Mahli's aperture visible too. I can't see how you could see anything out of its reflection though smile.gif

Clearly I was wrong about the last bit. But more important: Great detective work - smile.gif Thanks to all for following this up.
Ant103
I prefer to waiting for the full version of these few missing frames wink.gif.
ronald
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2012, 06:30 PM) *
Very nice!
How did you get Mount Sharp that close to the rover? Did it just project that way or did you do something special? If you used hugin what projection did you use?

Thanks smile.gif Just stereographic projection and some movement in the preview window. Ah - I nearly forgot that - I did fill in some sky too wink.gif

[Edit]: Maybe we should move all the sol84 MAHLI buzz to a new thread - it clutters things up a bit - no?
fredk
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 1 2012, 03:27 PM) *
Chemcam is not pointing towards mahli - if it was we'd be looking into the chemcam aperture on-axis. Instead chemcam is looking above mahli. So we're not seeing the mahli lens reflected.
I agree now that we are seeing the turret reflected in chemcam. I hadn't realized how wide a field was being reflected in the mirror, so we can see the turret even though chemcam isn't pointed directly at it.
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 1 2012, 03:27 PM) *
Can someone figure out what bit of the rover we're seeing reflected in one of the L navcam lens covers?
Yes. It's near one corner of the turret. Here's a comparison of the mahli image (reflected) with the new ML thumbnail (white circles):
Click to view attachment
BTW, the ML image was taken almost simultaneously with the mahli images of the RSM!

And a new self portrait on sol 85!
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0008I1_DXXX.jpg
ngunn
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 1 2012, 06:26 PM) *

Shifted a little sideways relative to the background I notice. Going for 3D?
djellison
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 1 2012, 11:26 AM) *

That's not QUITE the same as the one from 85.

Did someone say Stereo?
Free Mars
If public outreach is a goal, it might be nice a version of the self-portrait with all the parts labeled. There is a bunch of things seen in the front of the rover shown in the full-resolution versions that I have never seen in the diagram or where so small on that diagram that they really could not be made out. What are all those things sticking out of the front? I am sure that there are plenty who would like to know.
ronald
Click to view attachment rolleyes.gif
Explorer1
Oh my...

This must be Scott's 'cool thing'! he promised yesterday.
Ant103
Playing around with the pano file and Gimp to do a wide angle shot of the rover.

Stu
Very "raw" thumbnails 3D view...

Click to view attachment

Needs work but boy, just... beautiful...

And have to say a HUGE "thank you" to the MSL team for taking and sharing the pictures with us.
nprev
The swear jar is now officially obsolete. We're gonna need a swear barrel!!!

ohmy.gif blink.gif
James Sorenson
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2012, 05:57 AM) *
As a courtesy, it'd be nice if people could not broadly release these for a few days. If our mosaic turns out worse, then the better mosaic will win in the end. If you do release anyway, make sure you have the right image credits and be advised that I may be somewhat miffed at you. We've been working on this particular project since before landing and I feel like we are having to rush it to avoid being scooped.

I can't thank the whole MSSS and MSL team enough for sharing the images with us and making this possible. I apologize for releasing the one's I put together to soon. I will be sure to hold off in the future and add appropiete image credits as well on any future work. I encourage everyone to do the same.
fredk
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 1 2012, 11:13 PM) *
Can't wait for the 3D view. It's going to be quite a challange to stitch it up, headache free. I expect some projections will work better than others in stereo.

On another topic, isn't it remarkable how similar in colour the top surface of the HGA appears to the Martian soil? That could be relevant to the colour discussion in the other thread. But in the pre-launch views I've seen, eg:
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA14131
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA13308
the colour looks much lighter. Maybe the HGA was covered in a different material before launch?
mcaplinger
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Nov 1 2012, 04:46 PM) *
I will be sure to hold off in the future...

The self-portrait was kind of a special case. Many of the mosaics being shot (e.g. with Mastcam) are unlikely to get special treatment or even an official release, and those seem like fair game with proper credit. Hopefully the self-portrait will be one of the iconic images of the mission, so we feel a bit proprietary about it (especially since it's been a long road getting the whole sequence designed and then convincing everyone to take it.) The real unsung heroes are the rover planners at JPL for figuring out how to make the arm behave as desired -- they've been great.

I think the official release is just going up now.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 1 2012, 03:13 PM) *

OMG! Thank you Stu!

(and thank you MSSS, JPL, NASA, myself and the rest of the American taxpayers, etc.)
Astro0
...and the DSN wink.gif biggrin.gif
RoverDriver
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2012, 09:30 AM) *
It's too bad nobody has figured out how to remove the shutter smear off the RTG,

I kind of like the streaks, it looks like the rover is moving. Hopefully it is a good omen. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

Paolo
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Nov 1 2012, 06:04 PM) *
...and the DSN wink.gif biggrin.gif

... and CSIRO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.