Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "surprise discovery" in the outer Solar System
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Beyond.... > Telescopic Observations
Pages: 1, 2
Paolo
to be announced tomorrow at ESO
ngunn
Great! Just 24 hours left to play "What would you like it to be?"

My choice would be an object on a hyperbolic orbit. Anybody else??
Tesheiner
QUOTE (ngunn @ Mar 25 2014, 06:42 PM) *
My choice would be an object on a hyperbolic orbit.

Followed by another two? smile.gif

link
Gerald
Quite a list. Just to mention a couple of them:
  • ISON revival,
  • new dwarf planet in Jupiter, Saturn resonance,
  • large TNO, Kuiper or Oort Neptune,
  • solar Brown Dwarf companion (seemed to have been ruled out, therefore unexpected),
  • large Oort object/comet or asteroid cluster.

What I don't like it to be:
Paolo
detection of the first Oort cloud object. or a better determination of the radius of Pluto. but neither would be a surprise
john_s
I heard a rumor, which if substantiated, makes this the weirdest bit of planetary news I've heard this year so far. Stay tuned…

John
dvandorn
For those of us in the U.S., BRT (Brazillian time) is one hour ahead of EDT. The presser is supposed to be at 2:30pm BRT, so it will be at 1:30pm EDT, 12:30pm CDT, 11:30am MDT and 10:30am PDT. That works out to 5:30pm UTC, for those of you across the pond.

-the other Doug
Explorer1
Well, it's on Wikipedia so the centaur is out of the bag, if I may put it. I dunno how much to say, except that a new mission might be in order...
ngunn
OK the wish lists were interesting, now the guesswork. smile.gif Many telescopes in one continent suggests observations of a stellar occultation, so a size determination seems likely (though a weird shape cannot be ruled out). They are using large telescopes but not the largest, which also makes sense if it's an occultation because then the faintness of the object itself does not come into play. Occultations have to be predicted for a concerted progamme of observations to be mounted so I don't think this is a new object.

Why might a size be surprising? One reason could be that we already know the mass, and the measured size implies a surprising density. Maybe they've found a metallic KBO.
Explorer1
You're getting warmer ngunn... Want a few more hints?
You're right that occultations were involved, but its not something new in the Kuiper belt...

This feels like a game of twenty questions, hehe. wink.gif

I could just send you a PM too, if you can't resist...
ngunn
Thanks, but no. I'm happy to wait. What's a day between friends?
tasp
Secondary occultation(s) ??

blink.gif

Gerald
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Mar 25 2014, 11:20 PM) *
Well, it's on Wikipedia so the centaur is out of the bag, if I may put it. I dunno how much to say, except that a new mission might be in order...

The news has been deleted (temporarily?) from Wikipedia due to the embargo.
climber
Soccer Wold Cup will be in Brasil this year...but that's inner solar systen, isn't it?
Explorer1
Alan Stern has a few more details:
https://twitter.com/NewHorizons2015
Paolo
from the buzz over twitter, I think I will monitor asteroid Chariklo today wink.gif
Paolo
QUOTE (Gerald @ Mar 26 2014, 01:32 AM) *
The news has been deleted (temporarily?) from Wikipedia due to the embargo.

you can ask wikipedia to show the modification history and it's still there...
centsworth_II
So, no chance a wily research group added then deleted a red herring post to wiki?

Still, the polite thing would be to act surprised.
remcook
These people do stellar occultations, so I'm thinking..TNO with atmosphere?
edit - ah I'm apparently not up to date with the rumours smile.gif
machi
It looks that we can expect two big discoveries from the outer solar system!
One is from the ESO and one from the Carnegie Institution.
nprev
<taps foot impatiently>…<waits for OFFICIAL press releases>…<will zap any rumors or unofficial releases>...
elakdawalla
Well, the embargo has officially broken on one of the discoveries: A second Sedna! Here's the MPEC.

This is a big deal for people who care about the formation and evolution of the solar system.

I am really terrible at understanding and visualizing orbits. I would love to have a diagram showing the orbits of Neptune, Pluto, Eris, Sedna, and 2012 VP113. I am going to go try to make it myself, but if someone beats me to it, well, I wouldn't be sad smile.gif
Explorer1
Here's an article about this second one:
http://www.astrobio.net/components/com_new...ail.php?id=6082
New work from Carnegie’s Scott Sheppard and Chadwick Trujillo of the Gemini Observatory reports the discovery of a distant dwarf planet, called 2012 VP113, which was found beyond the known edge of the solar system. This is likely one of thousands of distant objects that are thought to form the so-called inner Oort cloud. What’s more, their work indicates the potential presence of an enormous planet, perhaps up to 10 times the size of Earth, not yet seen, but possibly influencing the orbit of 2012 VP113, as well as other inner Oort cloud objects.

Yikes! ohmy.gif
That would make this other embargoed discovery tame by comparison!
Phil Stooke
Nooooooo! Surely a planet that big would have been found already in IR, and its gravity would have been obvious for decades. There can't be anything that big out there.

Phil

JRehling
The news is online, if you want to search around. It is rather surprising.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 26 2014, 09:46 AM) *
Nooooooo! Surely a planet that big would have been found already in IR, and its gravity would have been obvious for decades. There can't be anything that big out there.

Phil

Not at all. WISE has eliminated things bigger than Saturn, but there's plenty of room for a Neptune or smaller; and it's (as far as I'm concerned) always been the most parsimonious explanation for the presence of Sedna. But the other options are still in play, I think (passing star, cluster star birth, etc). I need to talk to Hal Levison.
Lucas
Emily,

Have you tried the JPL small-body database browser?

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2012...log=0;cad=0#orb

It's a little hard to zoom out properly, but if you're happy with showing most of the orbit, this could be good enough for now... wink.gif I've attached a screenshot.

alan
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Mar 26 2014, 11:24 AM) *
Here's an article about this second one:
http://www.astrobio.net/components/com_new...ail.php?id=6082
...What’s more, their work indicates the potential presence of an enormous planet, perhaps up to 10 times the size of Earth, not yet seen, but possibly influencing the orbit of 2012 VP113, as well as other inner Oort cloud objects.

Yikes! ohmy.gif
That would make this other embargoed discovery tame by comparison!

This was predicted a couple of years ago, from the 2012 DDA abstracts

...a PMSC has an important effect on objects at inner Oort cloud distances, say between 300 AU and 2000 AU, to make their perihelion distances to continually oscillate with a large enough amplitude to account for objects both inside and outside Neptune's orbit. This naturally produces an extra amount of TNO's with semimajor axes between 300 and 2000 AU and perihelion inside Neptune's orbit, like 2006 SQ372 and 2000 OO67....

... With the results from the numerical simulator we compare the model with and without the PMSC with observations. We conclude that a PMSC is compatible with the existence of 2006 SQ372 and 2000 OO67 and, in fact, although not conclusively, we can also claim that the observations of 2006 SQ372 and 2000 OO67, compared to all other scattered objects, would be lucky events if no PMSC exists.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2012DDA....43.0501G
Gerald
According to my watch the embargo should be over now.
Paolo
ESO release: rings around Chariklo http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1410/ I am supposed to be acting surprised, right?
alan
http://www.nature.com/news/asteroids-can-h...ngs-too-1.14937

http://www.nature.com/news/dwarf-planet-st...-s-edge-1.14921

ETA

The newfound object's official name is 2012 VP113, but the discovery team calls it VP for short, or just 'Biden' — after US Vice-President Joe Biden.
Lucas
I entered the orbital elements into Celestia and rendered the orbits of Eris, Sedna & 2012 VP113. It's hard to display all of them simultaneously because of the different inclinations, but I think this gives a good perspective.

Edit: I added another view with a different orientation (far above the ecliptic plane). In the first one it seems like 2012 VP113 has a larger semimajor axis than Sedna, but that was just due to the perspective.
elakdawalla
That's a nice diagram, thanks; I will use it! I had forgotten about the Small-body browser -- thanks for the reminder. I made an animated diagram.

Holder of the Two Leashes
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Mar 26 2014, 11:55 AM) *
But the other options are still in play, I think (passing star... )

There has been precious little mention of how much disruption to the Oort cloud could be caused by another star coming close, but here is one online article from four years ago:
Close encounters of the stellar kind

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Mar 26 2014, 11:55 AM) *
WISE has eliminated things bigger than Saturn, but there's plenty of room for a Neptune or smaller ...

From the diagrams and previous discussions I've seen, I believe IIRC that the closest a Neptune could be, given the WISE data, is 3000 AU. Could one a little further out than this be a suitable perturber then? Or maybe the Neptune analog itself could be in an elongated orbit that brings it closer in?
Phil Stooke
I'm surprised that the trajectories of the Pioneers and Voyagers don't indicate where and how massive a local massive object might be, given how carefully they were monitored to study the 'pioneer anomaly'. Also really surprised that IR surveys don't pick up something as big as is being suggested here. But I'm not an astronomer so I don't really know anything about this stuff. I just thought I did!

Phil

siravan
I think Voyagers cannot detect small gravitational anomalies as Pioneers were because they are 3-axis stabilized and frequent spin desaturation complicates things.
Gerald
QUOTE (Holder of the Two Leashes @ Mar 26 2014, 07:59 PM) *
Could one a little further out than this be a suitable perturber then?

This depends much on the composition. A rocky Neptune-sized planet can obtain almost any mass up to a Brown Dwarf (> 13 Jupiter masses). Such a heavy object probably didn't form in the protoplanetary disk of the sun due to lack of enough "metal"; but it might have been captured - although unlikely - after being ejected from the planetary system of a heavy star.
(For water ice it wouldn't need to be much larger than Neptune to be able to obtain almost any mass.)

If it would be composed mainly of hydrogen and helium (more likely in our solar system), a Neptune-sized planet would be of at most 5 Earth masses with a rather restricted effect regarding the vast volume of the outer Oort cloud. The excerted acceleration decreases with the square of the distance, and is proportional to the mass. The Hill radius with respect to the sun would hence be about (1/3x66,000)^(1/3) = 1/100 of the distance to the sun.

Long-term resonances could lead to perturbations over long distances. But with a semi-major axis of 3,000 a.u. we get orbital periods of more than 100,000 years.

(Edit: Fixed Hill radius.)
nprev
Gotta say that I much favor the close stellar approach hypothesis on the basis of what we've been able to determine already; it can take literally millions of years for the effects to be noticeable.

At the same time, though, I wouldn't be too surprised if something Mars-mass or above is lurking out there at a few thousand AU. The sheer volume of space we're talking about is SO vast, and it's a bit chilly out there; a gas giant would emit at least some IR above the background, but a solid object might radiate very, very little.

If an object like that exists it might be literally generations before we find it.
0101Morpheus
I am also intrigued by how close the new object is to Sedna. But it might just be a coincidence just as much as indicating something. That is the problem when we have only two examples of an object.
Phil Stooke
http://sci.esa.int/cluster/43018-beamed-ra...ion-from-earth/

Hmmm... would an Earth-mass object that far out emit radio like our auroras do? OK, so Venus doesn't, presumably. But people are talking now about possible detection of extra-solar planet radio emissions, so something at 5000 AU should be detectable.

I'm just a bit concerned about people saying 'it would be too faint for us to detect' when gravity and radio are added to the arsenal. We're pretty good at detecting things.

Phil

ngunn
The upper limit of the perihelion of any putative super-earth would be set by the lowest aphelion distance among the Sedna-class objects, so this new object constrains that more than Sedna does. The perihelion of the perturber cannot be higher than about 400 AU. It's aphelion distance can be anything you want, including infinity.

Of course there could be more than one perturbing body. Favouring the most parsimonious hypothesis is not necessarily a good guiding principle in the outer outer Solar System.

Holder of the Two Leashes
QUOTE (Gerald @ Mar 26 2014, 02:15 PM) *
A rocky Neptune-sized planet can obtain almost any mass up to a Brown Dwarf ...

Yes, but with a corresponding increase in both accretion energy and radioactive material picked up. I not sure what the overall effect the rocky composition would have on its heat signature and radius, but I'm sure the first two effects would try to boost its infrared, probably making it detectable further out.
Gerald
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 26 2014, 09:47 PM) *
... would an Earth-mass object that far out emit radio like our auroras do? ... But people are talking now about possible detection of extra-solar planet radio emissions, so something at 5000 AU should be detectable.

Not that straightforward. Earth's aurora is caused a good part by solar wind interacting with the atmosphere after being focussed by Earth's magnetic field.
Outside about 200 a.u. we're in the interstellar medium.

Might be by gravitational lensing detectable by Gaia tiny (tiniest) shifts of stellar positions could provide a hint of where to look closer. But that's really tricky.

@Holder of the Two Leashes: Yes fully agreed, those massive planets should possess enough primordial (adiabatic) compression heat plus radioactive decay heat to be detectable in infrared.
elakdawalla
So after talking to Hal Levison, I have to dial back my enthusiasm about planet X, sadly. Still a cool discovery.
alan
The the extended data tables and figures in the Nature article (scroll to the end) describes how the arguments of perihelion cluster for the the most distant objects, those with perihelion above 30 AU and semi-major axis above 150 AU. As an illustration (while noting that this solution is not unique) they show how 2012 VP113's argument of perihelion would oscillate within the cluster's range if a 5 Earth mass planet was orbiting at 210 AU.

centsworth_II
What I find most surprising is how this thread, started to discuss the big ESO discovery (the smallest solar system body by far to have rings), has been hijacked by the announcement of a new dwarf planet. I imagine the same will happen in the general press. That has to be very upsetting to the ESO group.
nprev
Well, in all fairness most of us anyhow had no idea what either of these announcements would be. I personally don't think that either topic deserves its own thread, really, but I'll defer to the opinions of others; this is 9-day wonder stuff.
centsworth_II
My sympathies for the ESO group more concern them being overlooked by the general press in favor of the "new planet" discovery.
ngunn
I would suggest that "surprise discovery"' in the thread title be adjusted to: 'Two discoveries'. Other than that no change needed.

Both are really interesting. The prevalence of rings (and fossil rings) is something I follow closely so I'm very grateful for the ESO announcement.
Gerald
As far as I can see, both discoveries are covered in the press.

Chariklo's rings are reported to have been nicknamed Oiapoque and Chuí (which is which?):
A comparison of the data from the different telescopes and some calculations revealed that the dips were caused by two rings, one seven and one three kilometres wide, with a nine-kilometre gap in-between. They have been nicknamed Oiapoque and Chuí, two rivers near the northern and southern ends of Brazil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.