Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanderers - a short film narrated by C. Sagan
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Pando
Wonderers - a fantastic new production by Erik Wernquist, featuring Carl Sagan's immortal words.

http://www.erikwernquist.com/wanderers/film.html

(Shivers down the spine, big time...)
antipode
Yes, its wonderful, even if some artistic license has been taken. I especially liked the Miranda scene. That and the feeling, no doubt carefully crafted into the narrative, that the solar system will be open to everyone.

But I wonder about the relationship between the original and the simulation. For 99.999999% of us, in spite of all the lofty words from Sagan and the soaring music, the simulation is going to have to do. For a very long time, maybe forever.
What if the (un)real space program turns out to be in the pixels of our computers, not actually 'out there'. Maybe this is as good as its going to get.

P
Explorer1
Yep; all the radiation, life support and long term bodily effects of these environments are pretty much handwaved.
But we can all agree it makes for good sci-fi!
Astro0
ADMIN: A gentle reminder to not discuss human spaceflight as per the forum guidelines. Thanks.
JohnVV
I liked it , a very nice journey

it was very reminiscent of the First cosmos
the well edited voice over did not hurt

wink.gif wink.gif but check the credits and documentation ........
this is a very good read
http://www.erikwernquist.com/wanderers/gallery.html
Malmer
I think that we will all be able to experience these faraway worlds in the not so very distant future. It will be a simulated experience however. but it will be one indistinguishable from reality. It will be based on the data beamed back by our increasingly sophisticated robotic explorers. Our remote sensing technology is bettered following the exponential curve as most other computer centric technology of today. I see no reason in bringing a few fragile humans to faraway worlds when we much sooner can bring the worlds here for everyone to enjoy and explore.

ADMIN NOTE: And that's where we leave that discussion. UMSF's policy about not discussing the relative value of human vs robotic spaceflight is very specific - 1.5 Debating the relative worth of human and robotic spaceflight is forbidden.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.