Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marathon Valley
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
fredk
It looks like we had a pretty good drive on 4078 roughly to the east (or NE) and now have a better view down into Marathon Valley:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol4078
(Yes, we are still paying attention, Oppy!)
SteveM
At first glance the sand in Marathon Valley looks treacherous.
Floyd
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 15 2015, 08:54 AM) *
It looks like we had a pretty good drive on 4078 roughly to the east (or NE) and now have a better view down into Marathon Valley: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol4078 (Yes, we are still paying attention, Oppy!)

There is a black rock in the left foreground that looks just like an oil glob on a sandy beach (ie Santa Barbara, California). No problem if it is oil, NASA recently demonstrated the ability to identify oil globs by plane or satellite spectral imaging :-).

atomoid
...though not collected in a depression, but randomly astrewn as if a blob of lava or obsidian tossed down from SSL..
Click to view attachment
nprev
My first guess would be a stony meteorite with a nice thick fusion crust. Odd looking thing.

Could be quite fresh if that's what it is.
jvandriel
First Panoramic view into Marathon Valley with the Left Navcam on Sol 4078.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Cruzeiro do Sul
One more wonderful panorama Jan. It remember me when we came from volcanoes in Chile and you come down to the Atacama Plateau. Very peaceful and quiet.

And by the way, you put Sol "1048" in the panorama. Did we come back in time? wink.gif
fredk
Lovely view openning up after the 4079 drive to the east:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol4079
I think we're seeing Argos along the right edge of that frame, and the large light-toned ridge above centre is the feature to the lower left of the "Marathon Valley" label in Phil's map.
jvandriel
Cruzeiro do Sul
you are right. I missed that completely.
Here is the correct one, especially for you.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Navcam L view on Sol 4079.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
brellis
This view needs an Ennio Morricone theme! Thanks all for the disseminating and image processing.
algorithm
NavCam anaglyph from Sol 4081, into the valley indeed. It's like looking across the sands into 'The Wash' in North Norfolk, only I can't tell if the tide is going out or coming in. smile.gif

Here is a nice calm soundtrack to take us into this tranquill looking valley. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXVhh7TKgcA (Listen to the soundtrack while looking at the view) laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
algorithm
Hope you didn't have the volume too high! ph34r.gif

A PanCam RGB

Click to view attachment
HughFromAlice
Version 2 of Nav Cams 4079.... a bit better. I didn't like my first version! ……Hᴜɢʜ….ツ
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Some Pancams from 4082 looking up at the steep rocky north edge of Marathon Valley.

James
algorithm
A difficult escape from a bunker into Marathon Valley, here on day three of 'The Open' (Or Sol 4082 for non golfists) smile.gif

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Navcam L0 view on Sol 4081.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

atomoid
Here's to hoping the team considers the scientific value of nudging a candidate boulder on its way down the slope!
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
jamescanvin
More images for the pan of the North Wall on sol 4083:

climber
It looks like a windy place. We will probably have some solar panel cleaning soon... dd.gif
algorithm
If they decide to try atomoids' suggestion (#18) it won't be the solar panels that need cleaning, it will be the seating panels back here on Earth! laugh.gif
Cruzeiro do Sul
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Jul 17 2015, 09:58 AM) *
Cruzeiro do Sul
you are right. I missed that completely.
Here is the correct one, especially for you.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

Thanks Jan and sorry for my very poor English, but it's not my first language...by far, but i have to say that your work (and those of others members of this forum) with these Mars images amaze me and i am so grateful for that.
HughFromAlice
I've had the morning off work because of a bad cold so I thought I'd relax and take up the challenge of making a colourized pic of out the NavCams of Sol 4081.……Hᴜɢʜ….ツ
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Added 1 image ( Right one, Sol 4082 ) to the Sol 4081 view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
atomoid
sloppy anglyph looking down the smectite valley sol4086
Click to view attachment
eliBonora
another view of sol 4083

jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4086.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and in Stereo.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam R0 panoramic view taken on Sol 4086 and Sol 4087.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Late afternoon in Marathon Valley, nice. smile.gif

Seryddwr
Wow. That is stunning.
algorithm
A nice view out onto the crater floor from our position on Sol 4090

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
It mosaics with another frame from 4087:

charborob
Sol 4092 pancam view:
Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
My version of the 4092 rock survey:

jamescanvin
Microscopic Imager mosaic of the brushed spot.

fredk
Tentative plan for the explortion of Marathon Valley, from the latest PS update:
From Private Reubin Field, Opportunity will loop around Marathon Valley on her walkabout. "We have about five stops identified along the north rim, before we circle around to the southern part of Marathon Valley where we see north-facing slopes that will improve our power by the time winter comes," said Golombek.
Burmese
They should call that view of the rocks on the slope "Rush Hour at Marathon Valley" - nothing is moving but you sure get a sense of movement.
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4096.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Pancam L2 view on Sol 4087-Sol 4092.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
SFJCody
Very filmic this spot. Someone should shoot a western here. laugh.gif
climber
QUOTE (SFJCody @ Aug 8 2015, 04:11 PM) *
Very filmic this spot. Someone should shoot a western here. laugh.gif

Marathon Monument + Marathon Valley = Monument Valley.
So, you're mathematicaly correct biggrin.gif
charborob
Sol 4104 L pancam view. Gives you an idea of the steepness of the slope.
(I leave it to more talented people to produce the color image.)
Click to view attachment
algorithm
Here's that slope again. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

(I'll leave it to more talented people to make a better job of it)
algorithm
And as a quick anaglyph smile.gif

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Oops - I thought the previous one was an anaglyph because it has coloured fringes on the skyline. Anyway both are much appreciated.
algorithm
Now that's exactly what I meant by somebody else making a better job of it!! laugh.gif
algorithm
PanCam views of the other wall (North facing I believe) of Marathon valley on Sol 4108

Click to view attachment
algorithm
And as an anaglyph.

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Very nice! Can anyone shed light on whether these are depositional layers, parallel erosion surfaces or something else?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.