Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Top of Vera Rubin Ridge Part 1
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Gerald
Hugin finds correspondences itself. But with NavCam this usually doesn't work well. But you can add and remove these correspondences. By choosing such corresponding points near the horizon, you get a "locked" horizon.
Sean
Thanks Gerald... I used Hugin a long time ago so I might give it another look.
Ant103
I'm doing it all manually. And all of my panoramas are made with manual settings, never automated process, with Navcam imagery.

And thanks you Sean smile.gif I have a special project for this color panorama.
charborob
Sol 1912 Lmastcam:

I don't understand why some mastcam images are debayered, and some are not.
pdalek
Does anyone know why MARDI was taking so many images during Sol 1910?
PaulH51
QUOTE (pdalek @ Dec 28 2017, 08:01 PM) *
Does anyone know why MARDI was taking so many images during Sol 1910?

From the 1909-1910 mission update: During the drive (Sol 1910) we'll take a bunch of MARDI images to document the terrain beneath the rover.

I guess they will make a fine time lapse movie once properly processed smile.gif

nprev
And so they have. smile.gif
nprev
Rather fascinating ChemCam image from sol 1921. Are these crystals, presumably (impure) gypsum or some sulfate? It almost looks like staurolite, but that would be a highly unexpected complex mineral. Hopefully there will be an analysis soon.

PaulH51
QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 1 2018, 08:19 PM) *
Rather fascinating ChemCam image from sol 1921. Are these crystals, presumably (impure) gypsum or some sulfate? It almost looks like staurolite, but that would be a highly unexpected complex mineral. Hopefully there will be an analysis soon.

Here is the R-MastCam context image:
Click to view attachment
link to the full size version. Looks like there are even thumbnails of a set of MAHLI images of the same target
serpens
There are a few more examples on the rock just to the left.

PaulH51
QUOTE (serpens @ Jan 2 2018, 03:40 PM) *

Maybe others? Here is an RMI from 1922 that looks like it has captured what appears to a few more of these small 'crystalline structures'? Looking forward to seeing those MAHLI full frames...
Click to view attachment
Gerald
QUOTE (serpens @ Jan 2 2018, 08:40 AM) *

With this context, I'm almost inclined to consider weathering remnants of an overlying layer as a possible origin, possibly some fracture fill.
In this case, I'm wondering, whether the geometry is pointing towards remnants of filled desiccation cracks. Could it be an iron-rich precipitate?
There are some (other?) presumed weathering remnants in the same Sol 1921 MR image, which look darker and more saturated than the underlying layers. This might indicate towards a hematite, hence iron rich, and mostly weathered overlying layer.
PaulH51
QUOTE (Gerald @ Jan 2 2018, 10:31 PM) *
With this context, I'm almost inclined to consider weathering remnants of an overlying layer as a possible origin....

The full frame MAHLI's are now available...
I have roughly assembled this red/cyan anaglyph from a pair of the images with approximately the same focus count. Others will be able to do a much better job, but evenin this rough version I can see the feature some has some depth, thus may fit with Gerald's observation re weathered remnants of an overlying layer.
Click to view attachment
serpens
Fracture fill remnants feels right and they have the appearance of scattering rather than eroding out in situ. I wonder whether the two "host" rocks were once a single piece of float that fractured, separating along the plane of the fracture fill. Both "host" rocks seem to have areas of lighter colour which may, or may not be significant. One thing is certain, there are going to be some very interesting papers at the next LSPC.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Dec 28 2017, 05:39 AM) *
From the 1909-1910 mission update: During the drive (Sol 1910) we'll take a bunch of MARDI images to document the terrain beneath the rover.

I guess they will make a fine time lapse movie once properly processed smile.gif

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 28 2017, 03:03 PM) *
And so they have. smile.gif

The term for this kind of observations is "sidewalk mode." From my book:
Sidewalk mode. MARDI can take movies during drives, acquiring mosaics along drive paths. In sidewalk mode, MARDI takes an image every 3 seconds, but only saves the image if onboard software determines that the new image is significantly different from the previous one. The saved images have more than 75% overlap. Returning every third image to Earth allows the construction of a mosaic, but if all images are returned, the team can generate a digital elevation model in addition to the mosaic.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 2 2018, 04:16 PM) *
The term for this kind of observations is "sidewalk mode."

Another bit of trivia: this is the only part of the DEA software that was written after launch, and has only been used for the MARDI DEA. The other cameras are still running the same version of the software they were loaded with back in 2011.
PaulH51
1923 drive: here's a crop of what I could stitch with the L-NavCams, Damia or Jan will hopefully tackle the full pan, but this rough version may assist in narrowing down the location until they can post
EDIT Midnight Planets is having issues, but Joe's page has elements that are working again, his page suggest the drive was ~12m ~ESE smile.gif
Click to view attachment
serpens
They got really up close and personal with this image and the broken ends do look metallic. Some segments can be seen bonded to the rock and given that this area is the hematite ridge it seems likely that this is indeed iron oxide. It is almost as if Mars has its own version of banded iron formation based on fracture fill. On balance this seems more likely for oxygenated water infiltrating the saturated zone from a disconnected stream than groundwater flowing to the surface.
Gerald
Hopefully, they'll be able to collect some APXS data, at least, in order to see whether it's actually some kind of iron mineral, or some SiO2 modification, instead. The latter could fracture in a conchoidal way, and then appear specular, too.
Art Martin
A quick and dirty stereo anaglyph of the Mount Sharp view on 1923

Sol 1923 Mount Sharp Navcam Stereo
charborob
Sol 1922 Lmastcam:
PaulH51
QUOTE (Gerald @ Jan 4 2018, 02:12 AM) *
Hopefully, they'll be able to collect some APXS data, at least, in order to see whether it's actually some kind of iron mineral, or some SiO2 modification, instead. The latter could fracture in a conchoidal way, and then appear specular, too.

Facebook post from 'NASAís Curiosity Mars Rover' (January 4, 2018)
"Meanwhile, back on Mars... Iím checking out these stick-like figures. Each is about a quarter-inch long. Maybe they're crystals? Or they could be minerals that filled spaces where crystals dissolved away. Stay tuned! Science continues."
atomoid
Noting a few apparent 'breaks' in the apparent layer remnant, did it get run over? its revealing brighter material inside almost as if its some sort of piping condensate. aside from that is an almost vertical line of 'etched' graininess to the right of the main leg and most visible in this sol1922 image, looking almost like an extended REMs strafing. heres cross/parellel stereo of the two main sections from a sol1923 pair.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment || Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (atomoid @ Jan 4 2018, 10:41 AM) *
Noting a few apparent 'breaks' in the apparent layer remnant, did it get run over? its revealing brighter material inside almost as if its some sort of piping condensate. aside from that is an almost vertical line of 'etched' graininess to the right of the main leg and most visible in this

My first thoughts were contact from the rover as we can see the sand around the target was disturbed, but I dont know if the wheel ran over it during its travels 1903-1904 or when it returned on 1912. It could also have been in contact with the APXS as they used it on this target
Phil Stooke
I never did post a circular version of the 1912 navcam panorama - this is from Damia's version.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Ant103
And the Sol 1923 complete panoramic smile.gif

PaulH51
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jan 4 2018, 08:48 PM) *

Damia to the rescue smile.gif
john_s
I have a request from my friend Nick Schneider, who's a coauthor of a popular astronomy textbook, The Cosmic Perspective. He's looking for a publication-quality illustration for the latest edition of the book, that shows Curiosity's route of ascent of Mt Sharp (current and projected future) superposed on an oblique view of the terrain, ideally something like one of Sean's wonderful renderings, but with the route shown something like Nogal's post #245. I suspect that an image focusing on the traverse from Bagnold Dunes onwards would be ideal.

I don't remember seeing an image exactly like that- could anyone point me to such an image if you know of it, or would anyone like to volunteer to generate one?

Thanks,
John
scalbers
As a note, I can see the correlation now between the terrain in Sean's rendering in post #242 and Nogal's view in #245.
elakdawalla
Has anybody taken a crack at DeBayering and assembling the sol 1911 MR panorama of the interesting "blue" outcrop? According to Abigail Fraeman in the sol 1911-1912 update:
This morning we found ourselves back on familiar ground, near the targets "Lismore" and "Leadhills" that we imaged back on sol 1905. We drove here to take a closer look at the transition between the blue-gray and red rocks in order to understand the geologic processes that may be responsible for this color change. Since we pulled up right alongside this transition, we were able to plan a monster, 180 frame Mastcam stereo mosaic that will cover the entire area with very high-resolution color information. Downlinking all of these frames from Mars to Earth may take some time, but fortunately we'll have some great opportunities to get big data downlinks during the upcoming holiday. I'm very much looking forward to spending the break unwrapping the data bundles and seeing what's there!
Sean
Here is a possible contender for the notional route map... this one is only good from mid Murray Buttes though

Interactive / zoomable version at Gigapan

MSL Traverse Map v1 covers the whole route plus incorrect notional...

Interactive / zoomable version at Gigapan

It might be possible to update with a new render depending on when it is needed.
Sean
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 5 2018, 12:26 AM) *
Has anybody taken a crack at DeBayering and assembling the sol 1911 MR panorama of the interesting "blue" outcrop? According to Abigail Fraeman in the sol 1911-1912 update:

Sol 1911 MR

Here is the full monty over on Gigapan

I didn't futz around with the color too much, other than an exposure pass.
elakdawalla
You really can see the color variation from red above to less red below though. Nice work, and thanks!
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Sean @ Jan 4 2018, 04:56 PM) *
Here is a possible contender for the notional route map... this one is only good from mid Murray Buttes though

Holy cow, that's a lot of pixels! I can probably produce the map that John/Nick are looking for, but not until after I finish this wretched Curiosity update.

PaulH51
A small mosaic of one of the Sol 1925 targets. MS-ICE, colours unprocessed.
Click to view attachment
Gerald
This Sol 1925 MAHLI seems to open an option for varve chronology.
Click to view attachment

---

[@PaulH51: The PDS and AN thread might be the better-suited one for posts regarding Analyst's notebook.] Good call, and PaulH51's post has been moved. -Mod.
serpens
The thing I find intriguing is that there does not seem to be any indication of a freeze - thaw cycle.
PaulH51
Looks like the outstanding images for the L-MastCam 1903 pan are finally down. Looking forward to see what the image wizards can do with them smile.gif
PaulH51
I seem to recall Phil predicting some interesting terrain on the other side of the ridge based on the satellite images. Looking at this roughly assembled 1928 partial L-NavCam pan I'd have to say 'Good call Phil' smile.gif

It's got the usual stitching errors for MS ICE, but it may help get a rough fix of drive direction etc until the remainder of the images come down and they can be properly assembled. Feel free to delete once the proper version gets posted.
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Thoughts on this little target?
Click to view attachment
Link
vikingmars
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jan 4 2018, 01:48 PM) *

How nice ! Thanks a lot Ant103 for this nice work of yours smile.gif
vikingmars
When I saw the pictures taken by the Curiosity rover on Sol 1903 which came online last week, I told myself "WOW !", because they reminded me the early morning view taken by the Viking 1 lander in 1976, the famous one with the backlit dunes...
Although the Curiosity pictures were shot in colour and are distributed in panchromatic 'raw' format, I think that the most artistic view is to leave them in black and white, because processing them to colour would erase some of the exquisite details inside a quasi-uniform yellowish-brown.
So, I decided to process the pictures as if they were taken in a panchromatic format.
Here is the resulting panorama from Curiosity, a truly spectacular one that is presented alongside the Viking lander historic view !
Enjoy it ...and also as a tribute to the Curiosity/MSSS team and the past Viking Lander Imaging Team smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Click to view attachment
(P.S. : Please, note that the distortions inside the Viking and Curiosity views are not fully corrected : the horizon was not straightened)
neo56
QUOTE (vikingmars @ Jan 8 2018, 04:30 PM) *
Here is the resulting panorama from Curiosity, a truly spectacular one that is presented alongside the Viking lander historic view !

Nicely done Olivier! It really puts into perspective the dramatic landscape in which Curiosity is roving smile.gif

charborob
Sol 1928 Lmastcam:
vikingmars
QUOTE (neo56 @ Jan 8 2018, 09:50 PM) *
Nicely done Olivier! It really puts into perspective the dramatic landscape in which Curiosity is roving smile.gif

Thanks a lot Neo56 for your kind comments smile.gif
PaulH51
Well it sure looks like they made it to the 'Pay Dirt' at Stop 5
Partial L-NavCam pan on sol 1930, shows lots of potential targets in workspace....
Click to view attachment
Ant103
Thanks Olivier wink.gif

Sol 1930 complete navcam pan. There is a gigantic gap behind Vera Rubin ridge, some deep valley.

Gerald
The preliminary name of this valley seems to be Phyllosilicate Trough (PT), and the contact between Vera Rubin Ridge and PT seems to be of particular interest, in order to help select the most likely formation option for Vera Rubin Ridge.
Sean
There is a nice view of the area ahead about 1 minute into this video when we clear the ridge...

Phil Stooke
Damia's latest panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.