Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PaulH51
Welcome to Route 66... Er, make that Site 66 smile.gif
Drive 0000 on Sol 1812. Roughly stitched L-NavCam using MS ICE
Midnight Planets reporting it as ~5.6m ESE (115) link
Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
A new site seems like a good spot to make the split to a new thread.
PaulH51
After the short drive on sol 1814 here's a quick-n-dirty NLB 360 pan, Please delete when the complete version is posted, this may help fix the location.
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 1814.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the view looking back ( North ) on Sol 1814.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
serpens
The really fine laminations indicate suspension fallout in reasonably deep still water, so the crater was experiencing a wet environment when this level was laid down. Given the original permeability of the deposits my horribly unreliable intuition suspects that the hematite developed during a dry cycle via a mixing interface between groundwater and water infiltrating from a disconnected stream, fed by acidic meltwater at the beginning of the volcanic period that gave rise to the sulphate formation. Development in an open rather than closed environment.
Phil Stooke
One of Jan's panoramas in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Sol 1814 post drive workspace, assembled in MS ICE, raw colour, no additional processing.
Click to view attachment
Floyd
QUOTE (serpens @ Sep 13 2017, 07:01 PM) *
The really fine laminations indicate suspension fallout in reasonably deep still water, so the crater was experiencing a wet environment when this level was laid down. Given the original permeability of the deposits my horribly unreliable intuition suspects that the hematite developed during a dry cycle via a mixing interface between groundwater and water infiltrating from a disconnected stream, fed by acidic meltwater at the beginning of the volcanic period that gave rise to the sulphate formation. Development in an open rather than closed environment.

I assume the spot was cleared of dust by laser blasts, not by brushing? If so I don't think I have ever seen this type of cleaning. Might the shiny surface be hematite? Not berries, but sheets???
PaulH51
QUOTE (Floyd @ Sep 14 2017, 07:39 PM) *
I assume the spot was cleared of dust by laser blasts, not by brushing? If so I don't think I have ever seen this type of cleaning. Might the shiny surface be hematite? Not berries, but sheets???

It appears to be LIBS of an AEGIS target. Here is the before and after LIBS. The eroded surface seems to have small 'facets' for want of a better description. Certainly an interesting site...
Click to view attachment
serpens
Specular reflections which is a pointer to crystalline minerals. Given that this is the hematite cemented ridge we could punt for hematite / goethite.
PaulH51
2 MAHLI's from Sol 1816 of the fractured sedimentary bedrock in front of the rover. The first is a context frame, the second is a focus merged product of the center of the context frame. The surface dust is more abundant on certain areas, probably just on the 'flatter sections' but at first glance I thought is was concentrated at specific laminations smile.gif
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Links ONE and TWO
PaulH51
ChemCam RMI Z-stack & red/cyan anaglyph of fine laminations in the target "Phoney Island".
Assembled using the 7 'ENHANCED Data Products' posted by JPL of the 9 RMI frames acquired, it may be possible to pull some more detail from all 9 if the missing 2 turn up as enhanced files. I used PICOLAY to assembled the Z-Stack and the anaglyph shown here. I'm sure JPL's 3D model will be much better than this basic version, but it was fun making it smile.gif
Click to view attachment
HSchirmer
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Sep 16 2017, 08:31 AM) *
2 MAHLI's from Sol 1816 of the fractured sedimentary bedrock in front of the rover.
Click to view attachment

Curious, raindrop mark?
serpens
After all those fine laminations, now for somethiing a little different.

PaulH51
QUOTE (serpens @ Sep 18 2017, 07:48 AM) *
After all those fine laminations, now for somethiing a little different.

Hmmmmm definitely different smile.gif Looks rather complex, so better get back to the fine laminations
Click to view attachment
A simple 12 frame HazCam animation of some of the arm work at the current location, hopefully I interpreted the target names correctly from the Mission Update
Click to view attachment
Link in case animation wont play LINK
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 1819.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
charborob
The Lmastcam view on sol 1819:
PaulH51
Sol 1819 Workspace from the left MastCam (Raw in MS ICE)
Click to view attachment
Note some lovely colour variations when you stretch the colours, and is that another little iron meteorite in the upper left? Or is that just my wishful thinking smile.gif
PaulH51
Well I can't claim to have seen a reaction like that to a ChemCam LIBS session ohmy.gif)

The plan for Sol 1821 has several ChemCam targets, but this is a first to come down, maybe they turned up the power to celebrate the 500k shot of the laser smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Yes, that does look interesting.

This is Jan's panorama for sol 1819 in circular form. The rocky pavement is a big change from so many sols among broken rocks.

Phil

PS - I'm in Salisbury, UK for the next few weeks. If any UMSF fans want to meet up send me a message.

Click to view attachment
jasedm
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 20 2017, 12:18 PM) *
PS - I'm in Salisbury, UK for the next few weeks. If any UMSF fans want to meet up send me a message

Phil, it would be great to meet up for a natter re all things umsf and (horrors!) msf..... I live less than 30 miles from Salisbury, and Ian Regan is Plymouth-based, perhaps we could have a mini-summit. Any other umsf'ers that could make it while Phil's in the UK?
PaulH51
Looks like we can add another small iron meteorite to the list smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Sol 1821, not got the R-MastCam context frame yet.
Phil Stooke
That really does look like a meteorite! From the update, it is called Mustards Island.

Phil

(PS - I am replying to jasedm privately but if anyone else is nearby, send a message)
PaulH51
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 21 2017, 05:36 PM) *
That really does look like a meteorite! From the update, it is called Mustards Island.

Only one ChemCam-RMI image of Mustard Island came down (so far), so looks like it was not zapped, even though it was inside the range of the laser, so I guess we'll never know for sure, but I'm still calling it a meteorite smile.gif EDIT: strike that comment, they did zap it LINK and that zap took the laser hits above 500k smile.gif
PaulH51
Quick and dirty partial pan of the L-NavCams after the nice drive on sol 1822. Mods can delete after the full version is posted. Some long awaited views of the distant target destinations gradually coming into view smile.gif
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 1822.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Jan. Here it is in circular format.

Phil

Click to view attachment
charborob
The sol 1822 Lmastcam view:
PaulH51
Latest L-MastCam workspace assembled in MS ICE (Sol 1822)
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Apparently we are now in a new quadrangle. Names from the latest status report include Sherwood Forest and Troll Valley, taken from the 1883 novel The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle. Previous quads took names from geological features of the areas which gave the quads their names. I don't know what this quad will be named. If anyone can fill us in, I would be grateful.

Phil
PaulH51
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Sep 20 2017, 03:30 PM) *
Well I can't claim to have seen a reaction like that to a ChemCam LIBS session ohmy.gif)

I believe this may be one of the MAHLI's of the sol 1821 odd looking ChemCam target I posted a few days back. Rotated & cropped, in raw colour and presented side-by-side with the RMI. Looks like the liberal coating of dust and the darker bedrock gave us the interesting B&W image smile.gif
Click to view attachment
serpens
That does seem to be the target, good eyes there Paul. The RMI operating range is 400 nm to 840 nm so there was possibly a big spike in one section of the reflectance spectra.
PaulH51
QUOTE (serpens @ Sep 24 2017, 03:04 PM) *
...The RMI operating range is 400 nm to 840 nm so there was possibly a big spike in one section of the reflectance spectra.

Thanks for the tip on the camera's optical range and the possible spike smile.gif
PaulH51
I think this sol 1822 ChemCam target is Hypocrites Ledge, I added the R-MastCam context image as well as a small mosaic of R-NavCam images to the 4 frame RMI mosaic. AlgorimancerPG was used to create the scale bar.
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Quick and Dirty R-NavCam after the short drive on 1827.
Page mods can delete when the good version is posted
Click to view attachment
serpens
Well the depositional environment is certainly changing as we get closer to the top of the ridge.
monty python
Almost looks like tree rings. Very uniform in thickness I think. Seasonal?
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 1827.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
A circular view of Jan's new panorama. Soon enough - a month or two perhaps - and we will be looking into the stunning terrain south of the ridge.

Phil

Click to view attachment
HSchirmer
QUOTE (monty python @ Sep 27 2017, 07:32 AM) *
Almost looks like tree rings. Very uniform in thickness I think. Seasonal?

Well, perhaps not "seasonal' as in every martian year, but perhaps "recurrent" as in 51k earth year, procession.
serpens
There are a number of factors that could have influenced bedding formation that are not necessarily cyclical. For example changes in the sources of sediment and variations in sediment supply, water depth and velocity, changes in climate or local environment, wind velocity and direction if aeolian, airfall from volcanic activity or impacts and so on. There should be some interesting papers in the next LSPC.
PaulH51
R-MastCam from 1821 which is the context image for the ChemCam target called 'Mustards Island'. We can see the LIBS locations as bright specs which are very similar to earlier LIBS sites on iron meteorites, but I've not yet seen any reports from JPL, I guess we have to await a paper, or a Photo Journal post smile.gif
Using AlgorimancerPG I get a width of ~6 cm.
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 1828.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
djellison
Yeah - that was a fun shift yesterday (1829) - did my best to raise the drive direction (ncam00267) to cover Mt Sharp without getting a hole in coverage between it, the Workspace (ncam00375) and the ChemCam targetable region (ncam00312) - a lot of back and forth, relying on an end of drive pitch/tilt to make it work.

Super relieved that it all worked out smile.gif
jvandriel
and the view on Sol 1829.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
charborob
The sol 1828 Lmastcam drive direction view:
PaulH51
R-MastCam from 1828 I think this is 'Erickson Fields' (raw in MS ICE)
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
The view is getting stunninger and stunninger (for one as easily stunned as me). Here are Jan's two latest panoramas in circular form.

Phil

sol 1828: Click to view attachment

Sol 1829: Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 1830.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.