Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Traversing the Clay-Bearing Unit Along the Base of VRR
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
PaulH51
~50 minute drive on sol 2297, unsure of the direction, but this partial pan from the 6 available L-NavCam frames may help narrow down the location. Roughly assembled in MS ICE, no additional image processing.
Click to view attachment
edit, typo fixed
PaulH51
A long-distance RMI mosaic from sol 2298, roughly stitched together in MS ICE, no additional processing.
Click to view attachment
fredk
We're starting to get a stunning view of the south edge of VRR:
wildespace
Sol 2297 ChemCam. Some little rocks got displaced by the laser? Or the result of drilling?

Click to view attachment

*flick GIF)
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Just the laser. As if you can say 'just the laser' about firing a laser on Mars.

Phil
atomoid
Great works, keep them coming!
as fredk noted above, the south end of VRR is coming into view and it seems to be smoothing out a bit, made me think of the view into Endeavor just before going down into Perseverance..
fascinating looking at all the super-fine layering these sols..
here's an attempted stereo of sol2298 stitch anaglyph and crosseye
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jccwrt
My takes on the recent RMI mosaics:

Sol 2295
Click to view attachment

Sol 2298
Click to view attachment
xflare
Reminiscent of parts of the interior of Endurance and Victoria Craters at Meridiani
fredk
Long-baseline stereo views from sols 2298 and 2299. Anaglyph:
Click to view attachment
And cross-eyed:
Click to view attachment
Sean
Sol 2299 Mastcam Right

DeBayered, repaired, extended sky...

Full width...

jccwrt
Hmm, I'd like to see some RMI mosaics of those erosional scarps. Looks like there's a couple good erosional exposures of the contacts there, might be helpful for doing some remote stratigraphy.
Sean
Sol 2299 mastcam Right with CG Curiosity for context, scaled using HiRISE reference...

Zoom...

Wide...

Sean
Here is a link to the Debayered MR files

Available for 1 week from today.
charborob
Sol 2299 Rmastcam panorama:

Thanks Sean, again, for debayering these images.

Sol 2299 Lmastcam post-drive view:

Sol 2300 Lmastcam post-drive:
charborob
Sol 2301 RMI mosaic:
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Some lovely images, thanks all

2300 L-MastCam Weekend Workspace (MS ICE)
Click to view attachment
jccwrt
My take on the VRR RMI mosaic:

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Soaking up the view after the drive on sol 2302 smile.gif
Click to view attachment
partial pan
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Back from Hospital and surgery and now stitching again.

The Navcam L view on Sol 2302.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Jan 29 2019, 04:56 AM) *
Back from Hospital and surgery and now stitching again.

Good to have you back...
PaulH51
2302ML (drive direction?) Looking fairly wheel friendly, but maybe not too many contact science opportunities
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I'm glad you are back, Jan, and I hope you are doing well.

Here is your sol 2302 panorama in circular form.

Paul - I think that drive direction mosaic was taken assuming the rover would be at the top of the ridge looking out across the wider landscape. Next time, maybe!

Phil

Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
Ashwin confirmed to me today that they are "definitely on the clays," so I've created a new thread here.

A newly posted LPSC abstract by Valerie Fox et al. details the plans for this phase of the mission. They plan to do a Z-shaped traverse -- first drive northeast along the base of the ridge to look at stratigraphy and reach the lowest-elevation point where there is a strong clay signal from orbit. Then they will turn southwest and climb across the clay-bearing unit vertically, until they get to the Greenheugh Pediment (the plateau made by the inverted channel coming off Mount Sharp). Then they'll turn southeast, poking along the base of the pediment and looking into alcoves.

Here are a couple of maps from Fox et al.
jccwrt
Sol 2304 RMI mosaic of Greenheugh Pediment:

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2304.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
charborob
Sol 2304 Lmastcam post-drive:
elakdawalla
According to Ashwin, sol 2302 was the day they drove in to the clay-bearing unit.
Sean
Sol 2302 panorama from mastcam left & right, debayered & blended with extended sky...

211 Megapixel

Curi context...

Detail...

Mastcam left deBayered frames for 2302

Mastcam right debayered frames for 2302 ( full batch )

Links are active for 7 days
PaulH51
Those are lovely Sean smile.gif
Partial NavCam pan after the short drive on sol 2306, roughly stitched in MS ICE
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2306.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
atomoid
Nice stitches and renderings <charborob and sean>. (if youre like me and want to download them, and find that Flickr's "flic.kr" abbreviated URL scheme resolves to an overlay that doesn't have download menu widgets or even allow right-click download, you can simply append "/sizes" to the resultant URL to force to the 'all sizes' download page).
the scale of Curi in the distance serves to remind me how my eye tends to overestimate the scale of landscape features.
Here are some quick stereo views from select sol2306 navcam sets
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here are Jan's last two panoramas in circular form, showing progress relative to the small ridge. We just drove down the other side of the ridge and turned left, so I can feel another map coming on.

Phil

Sol 2304:

Click to view attachment

Sol 2306:

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2309.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Jan's 2309 panorama in circular form. We are well beyond this now and I need to get onto the map.

Phil

Click to view attachment
atomoid
MAHLIs of the rock with the LIBS sweep from sol2309 share an overlap that works for stereo (crosseye/anaglyph):
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PaulH51
A rather nice looking outcrop, images from sol 2311 by the R-MastCam before the long drive, should look much nicer in colour when debayered, but even in its Bayer format it looked good enough to share here

Click to view attachment
charborob
Here is the debayered image:
Click to view attachment

And here is the sol 2311 Lmastcam post-drive panorama:
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2311.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the view on Sol 2313.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Sol 2313 L-MastCam post-drive panorama, easy driving conditions ahead smile.gif
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Drive on sol 2316. Looks like an opportunity for some contact science, or maybe a another touch and go smile.gif
Roughly assembled in MAS ICE using some of the post drive L-NavCams
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Thanks! Paul's partial panorama let me find the location for the map, and here is Jan's panorama from sol 2313 in circular form, showing tracks.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2316.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Very nice, Jan. Here is a circular projection of your panorama.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jccwrt
Enhanced movie of a dust devil drifting by on Sol 2310. Covers about 2 minutes, with 12 seconds between each frame.

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
I seem to recall an announcement that MRO would be assigned solely to InSight for the initial part of its mission, with other orbiters providing the DSN relay for Curiosity. The most recent image in the MSL JPL image server was acquired on sol 2320, 4 sols ago. Has anyone heard of any communication issues? Also are there any status pages for the Mars orbiters that would provide this sort of detail TIA smile.gif
PaulH51
Sol 2320: Left NavCam post drive partial pan, roughly assembled in MS-ICE. Poorly stitched, but hopefully it will assist in narrowing down the new location
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2320.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Jan. I made a circular version of this panorama to show where we are, after taking the liberty of patching the image to show the tracks behind us where they were partly hidden by the rear antenna.

Phil

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
The lack of images after Curiosity's drive on sol 2320 is explained in this release by NASA/JPL which documents a computer reset.
Link
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.