Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atop/Around the Greenheugh Pediment
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
charborob
Sol 3030 Rmastcam:
Click to view attachment
neo56
Zooming on this wonderful landscape, sol 3030, MCR.

jvandriel
Clouds over Gale crater.

fredk here is the Animation taken on Sol 3030 with the R Navcam.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
phase4
Here is a travel sequence recorded with MARDI - Sol 3032.
https://flic.kr/p/2kCqxpS

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The MASTCam L view on Sol 3030.

159 images.

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The NAVCam L view on Sol 3036.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
charborob
Sol 3036 Lmastcam:
Click to view attachment

Sol 3036 Rmastcam:
Click to view attachment
charborob
A sol 3036 3D cross-eyed view of a nearby hill (does it have a name?):
Click to view attachment

And a wider view:
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Jan's panorama for sol 3036 in circular form. We are cruising around that patch of dark drifts on the way to the bright outcrop.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Sol 3036 Chemcam view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Feb 22 2021, 05:14 AM) *
Sol 3036 Chemcam view.

The concave facets in the top of that outcrop are probably ventifacts caused by millennia of mountain winds whipping over the outcrop, but is there a very small chance they are surface features of a rather large, once buried meteorite that dropped into this landscape billions of years ago? Wishful thinking on my behalf I know, but one can dream smile.gif I wonder if they did any passive spectroscopy with the ChemCam when they shot this sequence, if so they may take a closer look as they are driving ever closer on this excursion to the east.
PaulH51
Sol 3038: End of drive R-NavCam pan, very roughly stitched in MS-ICE, but it may help to work out the location.
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The NAVcam L view on Sol 3038.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
fredk
QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Feb 22 2021, 12:04 PM) *
The concave facets in the top of that outcrop are probably ventifacts caused by millennia of mountain winds whipping over the outcrop

Could they just be dust ripples?
Phil Stooke
I think you are right, Fredk.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Jan's sol 3038 panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
charborob
Anaglyph of the hills combining navcams from sols 3035 and 3038:
Click to view attachment
charborob
Sol 3039 Lmastcam panorama:
Click to view attachment

(Too bad there's a litte piece missing of the hill on the right.)
charborob
Sol 3040 long-distance RMI:
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The MASTCam L view on Sol 3039.

To complete the view of the top row of images,
I have added 1 MASTCam L image taken on Sol 3030.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The NAVCam L view on Sol 3040.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
charborob
Sol 3040 Rmastcam view of Mont Mercou:
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Jan's sol 3040 panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 3039 Mastcam34 panoramic. Still impressed by how big those hills have become. They are more important than Mount Sharp.

PaulH51
Cloudy Sol on Mars:
Sol 3043 - There are more GIFs, but I just squeezed these 2 GIFs inside the upload limit. Looks like more thumbnails are in the system smile.gif
The frames are unsharpened etc, just annotated and animated - R-NavCam frames with timestamps added curtesy of fredk.
The first one could be just post sunset, but I don't have the official sunset time.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The NAVCam L view on Sol 3042.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
neo56
I really like these clouds animations. Here is a couple of 2 other animations.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Higher resolution versions here and here.
The sunset is at ~6:00pm local solar time. The last animation was made ~30 minutes after sunset!
The timelapse is 15 seconds between each frame for the first animation taken at 6:05 pm, 20 seconds for the 2nd one and 25 seconds for the 3rd one. It is not constant for the last one I processed.
I also noticed I don’t obtain exactly the same local solar time as fredk (35 minutes shift). I use UTC time indicated on the Raws webpage and a code written during my PhD that gives pretty similar results as Mars24. edit: I checked on Mars24 and my code indeed gives LTST shifted by 35 min in respect of Mars24 display.
djellison
The entire sequence ( ncam00598 ) started at 18:34:56 LMST and finished at 19:25:36 LMST

Sunset based on local topography was 18:23 LMST
fredk
My LMST's agree with Doug's - I get them straight from the json files, when they're present - I don't calculate them.
neo56
Ok, so I'll have a look at my code mellow.gif
Where do you find the JSON files?

Edit: my code returns LTST and not LMST. So I printed LMST and our values agree :-)
However, I wonder why Mars24 and JSON files refer to LMST rather than LTST?
Local True Solar Time takes into account the equation of time so it's more relevant isn't it?
fredk
Here and here. I go into detail here.
charborob
Sol 3042 Lmastcam panorama:
Click to view attachment
mcaplinger
QUOTE (neo56 @ Feb 27 2021, 11:50 PM) *
Local True Solar Time takes into account the equation of time so it's more relevant isn't it?

Yes, but LMST is easier to calculate and typically what's used for rover planning.

We have enough trouble keeping track of what happens when without having a variable length of day too!
neo56
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Feb 28 2021, 07:05 PM) *
Yes, but LMST is easier to calculate and typically what's used for rover planning.

We have enough trouble keeping track of what happens when without having a variable length of day too!

Ok thanks! That makes sense.
djellison
QUOTE (neo56 @ Feb 27 2021, 11:50 PM) *

All rover activities are planned to LMST.
fredk
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Feb 28 2021, 07:05 PM) *
LMST is easier to calculate

Easier still would be standardized timezones. With increased presence on Mars perhaps one day we'll need one-hour-wide timezones. wink.gif

Syrtis Major standard time, anyone? laugh.gif
mcaplinger
QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 28 2021, 03:00 PM) *
Easier still would be standardized timezones.

Maybe, but all we need now is one base time for sol 0 midnight at each lander.

For martian time zones, see See Arthur C. Clarke, "The Trouble with Time", anthologized in Tales From Ten Worlds.
jvandriel
Sol 3045 Middrive view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

jvandriel
and the view at the end of the drive on Sol 3045.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
charborob
Sol 3044 Lmastcam:
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
These are Jan's panoramas for sols 3042 and 3045 (end of drive... I will look at the mid-drive pan soon). Getting close to the brighter area and the cliff at Mont Mercou.

Phil

3042: Click to view attachment

3045: Click to view attachment

The JPL update mentions a drive on sol 3044 but it is a misprint for sol 3042.
Phil Stooke
This is the mid-drive panorama from Jan in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Clouds seen by the Right Navcam on Sol 3046.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment

Images credit: NASA / JPL-Caltech
PaulH51
MastCam thumbnails of some rather nice looking clouds on Sol 3047 should make a lovely mosaic
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The NAVcam L view on Sol 3047.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
eliBonora
A color version of the clouds using overlapping frames as filters

Phil Stooke
Very nice cloud images and animations.

Here is Jan's panorama for sol 3047 in circular form. The bright ridges of rock on the east and west sides of the rover show up very clearly on the HiRISE image. Too bad the cliff itself got cut off.

Phil

Click to view attachment
djellison
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 4 2021, 01:00 PM) *
Too bad the cliff itself got cut off.

It didn't.

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25676/n_r00...tolm2/?site=msl

Jan only uses Navcam left for his mosaics- and much of the time any upper-tier imaging we do is right eye only. It's why I had the script that generates the mosaics that go to https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/mosaics swap from left eye to right eye - to catch upper tiers when we take them. Some are taken in stereo - but more often than not - right eye only

(Mono imaging has to be right eye as that camera's electronics box is monitored for temperature by the flight software for heating. Stereo imaging has to be within a window when heating isn't required anyway )
John Moore
Looking at Eli's images above, they remind me of light refraction-type effects we get here on Earth -- relative to the Sun (and Moon).

Given that: I suppose that such refraction effects (halo's and dogs...etc.,) also occur in Mars's thin atmosphere during surface views for when the Sun is in the scene.

Have like phenomena been observed, and, perhaps, contributed to Mars's atmospheric data...in the long run?

John
fredk
Those colour cloud images are made by combining greyscale images taken at different times, so the cloud movement gives you artificial colour fringing.

I don't recall seeing sundogs or halos on Mars - perhaps someone else does?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.