Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atop/Around the Greenheugh Pediment
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PaulH51
Sol 2695: Just a short drive / climb, but a very welcome one to get all 6 wheels off the slope and onto the top of the pediment smile.gif
Roughly stitched L-NavCam partial pan using MS-ICE with the available images. I'm sure the full 360 will be memorable...

BTW: maybe a good time for a new thread? (Traversing the Greenheugh Pediment?) smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Sean
Some context shots with a roughly scaled Curiosity perched on the edge of Greenheugh...

...grabbed from my 1.8 billion pixel Traverse map.
nprev
Stunning, Sean. ohmy.gif

Re new thread: Yeah, possibly. That's Emily's call, though; she's been most carefully curating the journey of MSL here. smile.gif
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2695.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
HSchirmer
QUOTE (Sean @ Mar 7 2020, 04:32 AM) *
Some context shots with a roughly scaled Curiosity perched on the edge of Greenheugh...

I feel like Lawrence of Arabia fumbling for his binoculars after his guide Tafas shouts "Bedu" - WHERE?
Julius
Greenheugh pediment looks like its going to be a rough traverse for the rover. What does the pediment represent?
PaulH51
2695 Arm workspace L-MastCam (raw MS-ICE)
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Jan's sol 2695 panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Julius: "Greenheugh pediment looks like its going to be a rough traverse for the rover. What does the pediment represent?"

Not sure, but you might find this LPSC abstract interesting:

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2020/pdf/2337.pdf

Originally the pediment was interpreted as an alluvial fan, sediment swept down Gediz Vallis by flowing water, but that's not the prevailing view at the moment.

Phil

pbanholzer
Here's an abstract from 2019 showing in Fig. 4 a projection from the Greenheugh to the Stimson.
https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/ninthmars2019/pdf/6296.pdf
Julius
Thanks Phil, pbanholzer.appreciated.
charborob
Sol 2695 Lmastcam:
Click to view attachment
charborob
How do you pronounce "Greenheugh"? (Not evident for a French speaker.)
centsworth_II
Not evident for an English speaker either!
djellison
Everyone Iíve heard say it says Green Hue.
PaulH51
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 9 2020, 01:54 AM) *
Everyone Iíve heard say it says Green Hue.

Concur - Ashwin also uses Green Hue in this recent video https://youtu.be/o12KsNmoMhQ?t=87
Sean
Better angle on Greenheugh...

...Curi at sol 2695 position.
neo56
Panorama taken with MC Right on sol 2696 merged with two MC Left pictures:

jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2698.

The rest of the images will be added later.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
and the Complete Sol 2698 Navcam L view.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 2596 Mastcam100 panoramic.

PaulH51
Really enjoying the expertly de-bayered panoramas posted here. Many thanks...
Here's the raw L-MastCam 2698 arm workspace assembled in MS-ICE

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here is Jan's sol 2698 panorama in circular form. It shows the rugged landscape quite well. This looks like wheel-busting terrain to me.

Phil

Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
Hi folks, new rocks, new thread! Here's a link to the spot in the Route Map thread where Phil et al. documented this moment.
PaulH51
Partial end-of-drive R-Navcam pan from sol 2700 (Site/drive 79-588) hopefully to assist in pinpointing the location while we wait for the remaining frames.
The plan stated they were driving west looking for a drill site... This location appears to tick some of the drill site boxes smile.gif
Click to view attachment
tanjent
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Mar 10 2020, 06:53 PM) *
Sol 2596 Mastcam100 panoramic.

Ant, are those images available for download? Am having some trouble figuring out how. Sorry.
Ant103
@tanjent : which images ? The panoramic ? If that's the case, just follow the link by clicking the picture, you would find a gallery with the image, and links bellow.

Edit : Sol 2700 Navcam panoramic.

PaulH51
Sol 2699 R-MastCam partial pan of just 30 frames, assembled in MS-ICE, reduced to 5000px wide, debayered, but without further processing
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is Damia's panorama in circular form - giving a good location for a map update. Thanks, Damia!

Phil

Click to view attachment
monty python
This is caprock so it might be hard to drill. I hope we get one!
PaulH51
QUOTE (monty python @ Mar 13 2020, 01:51 PM) *
This is caprock so it might be hard to drill. I hope we get one!

It would be nice to see them drill / sample one of those darker (capping) rocks, but because of the Feed Extended Drilling) they would need to find a really stable candidate...

However, the first potential drill site candidate appears to be in the lighter toned bedrocks seen in the arm workspace on sol 2700.
Attached is a mosaic of the L-MastCam images of that workspace, I believe the candidate is the Trapezoid shaped block in the upper right of the mosaic.
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Looking towards the edge of the Greenheugh Pediment and some rather nice strata seen in this R-Mastcam partial pan from sol 2700, debayered in GIMP and stitched using MS-ICE, no additional processing, so apologies for the green hue as I can't find a way of removing it.

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2700.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 2700 loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong Mastcam100 mosaic showing a hell of details there.

jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2702.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Sol 2703 animated GIF showing the pre-drill (load test) of the potential drill target: 'Beinn Fhada'
Reduced to 800x400px
Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L view on Sol 2702-2703.
Added 5 images taken on Sol 2703.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Jan's newest panorama in circular format:

Click to view attachment

Phil
jvandriel
The Mastcam L view on Sol 2699.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Mastcam L view on Sol 2700.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Edinburgh drill hole on sol 2711, judging by the HazCam images acquired during drilling and the tailings shown in this L-NavCam frame there should be a good chance of a viable sample in the sleeve smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Yes, the hole looks good!

Click to view attachment

Phil
jvandriel
Partial view of the Mastcam L view on Sol 2711.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
atomoid
Thank you for that nicely debayered and stitched pano of the sol2711 mastcam set. Its quite a view and am especially intrigued by highly eroded sections especially as seen in the snippet of the pano below, representing this pair of snapshots, looking closer a sinuous curve of apparent eroded pediment boundary appears sharply shadowed appearing in the exposure as if it were some sort of slack cable draped over the landscape. I keep losing my bearing as to where we are so have no idea if Curi is heading towards that particular area or onward elsewhere..
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
fredk
We had this MR view of that feature, though with a bit different lighting:
https://mars.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/0...167C00_DXXX.jpg
PaulH51
Sol 2713 GIF: Sample drop for 'portion characterisation' in this cropped L-MastCam of the powdered rock from the 'Edinburgh' drill site.
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
A long distance 10 frame ChemCam-RMI mosaic of what I believe is a face of Gediz Vallis Ridge, images acquired on sol 2715. Roughly assembled in MS-ICE and annotated, but otherwise unprocessed.
Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Another long distance ChemCam-RMI Mosaic, possibly a basal section of the Gediz Vallis Ridge a little closer to the rover?
Once again from sol 2715, roughly assembled in MS-ICE without additional processing
Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 2711 Mastcam34 panoramic. This is such a beautiful place ohmy.gif

Postcard version :

PaulH51
Lovely work Damia, looking forward to seeing more of your excellent panoramas!

Meanwhile, another long distance RMI mosaic across the pediment, this time wider view (19 frames from sol 2719) It was roughly assembled in MS-ICE without additional processing.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.