Phil Stooke
post Aug 6 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Explorer 1 said:

"A 2D map of C-G seems like a tough order; the projection math alone..."

Don't worry! If you can put a grid on the surface (as we have seen already), you can warp that grid into any map projection you like. Mapping will be no huge problem - in fact I expect they have a rough one already (I've been playing with one myself).

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 99)
acastillo
post Aug 6 2014, 02:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6641

It would appear that the neck is an "erosional" feature (not sure if erosion is the right word), and maybe not the contact boundary between 2 separate bodies. At some point in the future, the neck will sublime away and the comet will split in two.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Aug 6 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (acastillo @ Aug 6 2014, 03:44 PM) *
It would appear that the neck is an "erosional" feature...

Gravity must be very low there, caught as it is between two lumps o' rock. A higher chance for material to be lost, maybe?

Andy

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 6 2014, 04:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Aug 6 2014, 11:43 AM) *
A 2D map of C-G seems like a tough order; the projection math alone... wink.gif

Interesting though that a unique coordinate system (projection) is possible as seen in the rotating map. None of the overhangs appear to wrap back on themselves as seen from the central projection point. Thus a 2D map should be possible with access to the shape model (as Phil alluded to earlier).

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Aug 6 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (acastillo @ Aug 6 2014, 04:44 PM) *
It would appear that the neck is an "erosional" feature (not sure if erosion is the right word), and maybe not the contact boundary between 2 separate bodies. At some point in the future, the neck will sublime away and the comet will split in two.

I concur, not that we have a final word yet but I do tend to think the shape is from melting and erosion, rather than 2 objects that have merged since that is a less likely scenario.

@AndyG: Gravity is nearly negligible, gas pressure define this environment with sublimation and active geysers, though I wonder if the latter could create a static charge.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 6 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (scalbers @ Aug 6 2014, 06:06 PM) *
Interesting though that a unique coordinate system (projection) is possible as seen in the rotating map. ...

That's possible with any simply connected object (no "handle-shaped holes") in 3d via a homeomorphism (continuous map).
For objects with holes, like doughnuts different coordinate systems are needed. The shape of the nucleus is strange, but fortunately not that strange.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 6 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 6 2014, 04:52 PM) *
That's possible with any simply connected object (no "handle-shaped holes") in 3d via a homeomorphism (continuous map). ...

Sounds good, though it seems to me that C-G would be more straightforward than some other simply connected objects. A latitude/longitude with respect to C-Gs center of gravity appears to be possible as a "planetocentric" or "cometocentric" coordinate. It would be a simple tracing of rays emanating from the central point and then intersecting the surface. Each ray has just a single intersection with the surface.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 6 2014, 05:23 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (scalbers @ Aug 6 2014, 07:02 PM) *
...Each ray has just a single intersection with the surface.

As long as there are no relevant overhangs (in the sense of the rays). I'm not quite sure whether this holds for the comet.
It could become a little more tricky.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 6 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 6 2014, 05:23 PM) *
As long as there are no relevant overhangs (in the sense of the rays). I'm not quite sure whether this holds for the comet.
It could become a little more tricky.

Good point. A closer look at the recent animation shows a few localized breaks in the grid lines. This correlates with some local topography that has addtional intersection points with the rays pointing at the center of gravity. Perhaps one would have to filter out these bumps in a shape model to come up with a reference shape that could be specified using a cometocentric coordinate. Then the actual surface can be compared with normals to this reference shape.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Aug 8 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7227

QUOTE (acastillo @ Aug 6 2014, 03:44 PM) *

Eyewitnessing it will be simply amazing.
On the opposite side, mapping an evolving body will be a pain!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 8 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #11

Not a pain, it just means the cartographers have long-term employment!

Phil

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 8 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5221

Wouldn't the two lobes just gradually come back together together as the neck erodes, if their mass remains the same? Unless a decrease in radius forces C-G to rotate faster and faster (I guess we'll find out soon!)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 8 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #13

I think you're right, the lobes would collapse together as the neck was eroded.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mercure
post Aug 8 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7185

I believe the centrifugal forces at the rotational rate of ~ 1 revolution per day are stronger than the combined gravitational attraction of the two lobes. If the neck breaks they would come apart, as I see it. Would be interesting to see calculations of the eventuality.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 8 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #15

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Rotation rate is 12.7 hours. The circumference drawn by the 4km length of the comet ( a 2km radius ) is 12.6 km

So very roughly - it's doing 1km/hr or 0.28m/sec. V^2/r is thus 0.000039 m/sec^2

Surface gravity is approximated as 10^-3 m/sec^2 3 orders of magnitude higher than the centripetal acceleration due to rotation.

Thus no - they would not fly apart. They would collapse together.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 8 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #16

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

The key variable between these scenarios is mass, which will presumably be known in time to a high degree of precision. (Probably not nearly as soon as it would be for a symmetrical body; Rosetta's navigators are probably gonna have an interesting time for quite a few orbits until they get a handle on the mass distribution of C-G).

EDIT: Whups, cancel that. What Doug said. Obviously the system's mass is constrained well within an order of magnitude already.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 8 2014, 10:22 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 542

Every irregular object eroded from the outside must eventually form a neck which breaks and the two parts will settle together, tumbled or not. How would they get the energy to fly apart again?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 8 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #18

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Could acquire more angular momentum from impacts over time; then the variable would become the shear strength of the 'neck'. But as Doug observed, it's not spinning fast enough.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 8 2014, 10:37 PM
Post #19

Founder

If it were rotating fast enough to displace the two halves if the 'neck' were to disappear....then it would also be rotating fast enough to rip itself to shreds.

What I have in essence done is prove that the comet can exist (which is somewhat self evident)

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Aug 8 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 675

I'm not convinced by the emerging consensus that the neck is an erosional feature. It seems to me that the neck is near a gravitational low (i.e., "downhill" from the rest of the comet) and any loose material near the comet would be likely to settle there.

In previous passes by the Sun the comet would eject both volatile gases and particles of solids; some of them might not achieve escape velocity. The volatiles would be reheated on the surface and escape again but we would expect the solids to settle back in the lowest point, the comet's neck. This model predicts a dustier area near the neck with a comparatively lower concentration of volatiles.

We'll see what turns up but I'm not a geologist so what do I know.

Steve M

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 8 2014, 11:10 PM
Post #21

Founder

QUOTE (SteveM @ Aug 8 2014, 03:42 PM) *
I'm not convinced by the emerging consensus that the neck is an erosional feature

It's where the bulk of activity appears to be
http://sci.esa.int/rosetta/54471-comet-act...-2-august-2014/

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 9 2014, 12:08 AM
Post #22

Founder

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 8 2014, 03:36 PM) *
Hmm, according to the Wikipedia version, the escape velocity is estimated to 0.46 m/s, corresponding to about 0.33 m/s for a circular orbit.
So I'd say within the current uncertainty, respecting the rotation, the resulting surface gravity at the parts most distant to the center of mass is about zero.

No - the centripetal acceleration is 4 orders of magnitude less than the escape velocity.

+Quote Post
JCG
post Aug 9 2014, 01:11 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 7160

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 8 2014, 01:36 PM) *
Hmm, according to the Wikipedia version, the escape velocity is estimated to 0.46 m/s, corresponding to about 0.33 m/s for a circular orbit.
So I'd say within the current uncertainty, respecting the rotation, the resulting surface gravity at the parts most distant to the center of mass is about zero.
A significantly more compact body with the same angular momentum would be torn apart.

This opens a scenario almost opposing the contact binary approach, meaning head and body could have been broken apart already by centrifugal pseudo-force, and kept together by the stretched "neck", which would give the "rubber" duck metaphor more sense than originally anticipated.
This way the inner of the comet would be exposed at the neck.
Additional momentum could have been provided by impacts or by YORP.

Back of the envelope:
Gravity /centripetal ~ GM/r^2//V^2/r ~ GpP^2 where G = grav constant of 6.67x 10^-11 (mks), p = density ~ 10^3 (mks) and P = period ~4.6x10^4 sec.
Ratio ~ 10^2
Gravity wins hands down. Tidal forces are insufficient.
Adjustments to Fg due to odd shape may cause ratio be somewhat less, but increasing density will go the other way.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 9 2014, 01:28 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 4489

QUOTE (jgoldader @ Aug 7 2014, 09:24 AM) *
Any chance of Gaspra? I did some work on that back before the Galileo flyby; it would be great to print it out.

Thanks!
Jeff

there is a 3d mesh ( low-res) for gaspra
http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewtopi...p?f=4&t=636

my g-drive link to the mesh
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ZYAd08tZ...dit?usp=sharing

Not a pain, it just means the cartographers have long-term employment!

Phil

well for 67P a Simplecylindrical map is " out the window"
the vid on youtube looks to be using a Simplecylindrical map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNGu7KbXzOs
you can tell by the STRETCHED green dots that look like lines

But a "cubemap " would work fairly well

+Quote Post
Greenish
post Aug 9 2014, 01:42 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 6237

I had been curious about the gravity field so was googling about... this poster shows some of the weirdness of "which way is up" in a simplified contact binary scenario. It makes perfect sense, but I never considered that there could be the equivalent of Lagrange points near these bodies. Close-in "orbits" would certainly not be circular, even halos are possible. And the details near the neck... hard to know.

http://www.lr.tudelft.nl/fileadmin/Faculte...nglang_Feng.pdf
snip:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 9 2014, 01:53 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 4057

According to my calculations gravity/centripetal ratio for r=2000 m and vrot=0.28 m/s is G/a=0.0143*Ro (density)
Comets could be very fluffy so density can be between 100 to 1400 kg/m3.
Ratio is then 1.5 to 20× (not ~100 or ~1000).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 9 2014, 02:10 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (JCG @ Aug 9 2014, 03:11 AM) *
Back of the envelope:
Gravity /centripetal ~ GM/r^2//V^2/r ~ GpP^2 where G = grav constant of 6.67x 10^-11 (mks), p = density ~ 10^3 (mks) and P = period ~4.6x10^4 sec.
Ratio ~ 10^2
Gravity wins hands down. Tidal forces are insufficient.

This would be bad for Philae, so I've looked, where the discrepancy may come from.
One reason is -- if I calculated correctly -- a factor of 1 / 3π for the density calculation in the spherical case.
The other one is the estimated density, which has been estimated as 10^2 kg/m³.
Together we get a discrepancy factor of 30π, about 94.
Now add the non-spherical shape, and things are open again.

-- This shows, how important the ongoing gravimetric measurements are.

+Quote Post
Adam Hurcewicz
post Aug 10 2014, 05:16 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5205

OK, here is visualization from Celestia. I made model in Blender, texture is from Itokawa, orbital data from SPK/BSP od NAIF NASA/JPL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kETzagV37ig

--------------------
Adam Hurcewicz from Poland

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 10 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #29

For 67P/C-G, and similarly asymmetric bodies, I'd suggest a projection on an appropriate gravitationally equipotential surface, either respecting the centrifugal forces, or using the body at rest.
"Appropriate" means, the average height of the topography over the equipotential surface should be zero, if possible. As a constraint a surface should be taken, which consists of one component without singularities (and without overlapping itself, which is probably a corollary).
Projections go along the field lines of gravity.
The result is still a non-planar map.
This could be projected in a second step to planar tiles/stripes (mercator-like in a very general sense) by constraining the intrinsic curvature.
The width of the stripes would vary because of the varying intrinsic curvature.

... just to close this gap preliminarily, until an official decision is made.

+Quote Post
Harder
post Aug 10 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 434

thanks, Gerald, for your insights. I noticed you follow the Rosetta blog, too. Unless another Gerald is at work there! My own name (Peter Groeneweg) is a bit too difficult so on the ESA blogs I'm PeterG.

In my previous entry my use of the English language is perhaps "difficult" too, so let me say here what I really wanted to say: I feel privileged to be a member, a junior member to be more precise, of a forum that has experts like Phil in its ranks. No unmanned spaceflight subject seems too arcane for the forum!

A further thought: is a cartography system the province of ESA, or does it need endorsement by the international organization(s)? One thing seems sure: after the initial spectacular success at 67P/C-G I expect more missions to follow and a sound cartography system seems most useful to have by then.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 10 2014, 06:38 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 10 2014, 06:03 PM) *
Projections go along the field lines of gravity.

Why along the field lines (and with respect to an equipotential surface)? That would rely to some extent on knowledge of the internal mass distribution, which may be significantly nonuniform, and at the very least would require nontrivial numerical modelling to determine. It would strike me as a good property of a projection to depend only on the geometry of the body's surface.

But all of this is probably moot since such bodies have been mapped in the past. In practice, I'd guess the projection would be tailored to the body, since some projections may not work for bodies when the surface "folds back on itself".

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 10 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (Harder @ Aug 10 2014, 08:38 PM) *
... I noticed you follow the Rosetta blog, too. Unless another Gerald is at work there! ...

I admit, I couldn't help to extend the funny metaphorical thought experiment about the Philae descent and landing (with limited type setting options).
But names don't need to be unique, necessarily.

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 10 2014, 08:38 PM) *
Why along the field lines..?

Because it corresponds to the intuitive and physical concept of "up" and "down".
Notions like slope / steepness, depression, hill, etc. make a sense. It's kind of generalization we are used to from Earth on a physical basis, not merely geometric.

Technical difficulties to find the field of gravity are going to be reduced by the orbital measurements. These measurements allow even to determine the interior mass distribution to some degree. But an estimation would do the job, too.

The surface shouldn't fold back to itself (conjectural to some degree at this point), since the gravitational potential should be defined uniquely, at least for the non-rotating body.
The body itself may be layered or contain overhangs, of course.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 10 2014, 09:43 PM
Post #33

The up and down can be incorporated into topography by mapping height (and slope etc.) relative to the equipotential surface (with or without rotational accelerations included - with them, it corresponds to what Peter Thomas has called Dynamic Topography) - there's a literature on this especially by Peter Thomas and colleagues.

There is no one best way to map a non-spherical object, just as there is not for a sphere. In fact, we need lots of maps in different projections, and using different versions of the shape, to explore the range of possibilities, most of which few people have ever thought about in detail. For instance, the shape model used to establish locations and drive the projection might be any of these:

True topographic shape
Equipotential surface
Convex hull
Triaxial Ellipsoid (best fit)
Sphere
- also other possible shapes such as a cylinder could be considered, especially for more elongated objects.

For anything but the first, the actual surface would be projected onto the shape model along radii or surface normals (body or model), then that shape drives the map projection.

Although simple cylindrical maps contain severe distortions they are very useful as intermediate steps in mapping and they are easy to import into many mapping and visualization systems. My Itokawa mosaic, for instance, includes many distortions and one small area where the mosaic is not unique (radii exit the surface and reconnect with it, as we may see at 67P as well. But there are ways to cope with these issues and you have to start somewhere.

"A further thought: is a cartography system the province of ESA, or does it need endorsement by the international organization(s)? One thing seems sure: after the initial spectacular success at 67P/C-G I expect more missions to follow and a sound cartography system seems most useful to have by then."

ESA can choose its own method of mapping, no international agency has any role in it except the IAU Working Group for cartographic coordinates and rotational elements - the coordinate system should conform to their guidelines. But mapping - no. The field is still very immature and no standards exist, nor should they until we have much more experience with different methods.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 10 2014, 11:38 PM
Post #34

the problem at this time is we do not have a mesh to work with
-- yes one could use "Blender" and hand carve a cube into something that looks like it

now a cube map has advantages ( sometimes) for some shapes

a hi-passed map for a mesh of Vesta ( old map 2006 data) in a uv mapped cubemap
( from a normal by Chris Laurel)
north,90 to180,0 to 90,
-90 to 0,-180to -90, south

the new DEM hi passed for comparison
-- in Simple Cylindrical projection

now vesta is a bad example it is rather spherical ( i just happen to be working on this asteroid right now)

so for 67p a SimpleCyl. map will not work well . BUT it is a good intermediate format and so is sinusoidal

+Quote Post
Y Bar Ranch
post Aug 11 2014, 02:16 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 2984

QUOTE (SteveM @ Aug 8 2014, 05:42 PM) *
I'm not convinced by the emerging consensus that the neck is an erosional feature. It seems to me that the neck is near a gravitational low (i.e., "downhill" from the rest of the comet) and any loose material near the comet would be likely to settle there.

Actually, the neck is not near a gravitational low. If you could hollow out a little sphere at where the center of mass is for the comet, at that point there'd be no gravity since the mass would be pulling from all directions equally. That's somewhere near the neck. Taking off and flying away from the neck perpendicular to the main axis is probably the lowest energy trajectory for departing (now I'm guessing).

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 11 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #36

Founder

QUOTE (Y Bar Ranch @ Aug 11 2014, 07:16 AM) *
Actually, the neck is not near a gravitational low.

If you could hollow out a little sphere at where the center of mass is for the comet, at that point there'd be no gravity since the mass would be pulling from all directions equally. That's somewhere near the neck.

Are these not contradictory statements?

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 11 2014, 02:48 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Y Bar Ranch @ Aug 11 2014, 03:16 PM) *
Actually, the neck is not near a gravitational low.

I think there is confusion here between the scalar quantity gravitational potential and its gradient, gravitational field strength. The centre of the Earth, for example, is a low point in the gravitational potential. If you could dig a tunnel all the way there objects would certainly fall down it, even though on arrival they would have zero weight.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 11 2014, 03:37 PM
Post #38

If you take a binary of two spherical bodies, the center of mass is in the middle of the line between those two bodies, but that's no gravitational low; it's more like a saddle; and it's a Lagrangian point (L1) at the same time, although the center of mass of two bodies doesn't need to be a Lagrangian point, in general. There are two lows at the respective centers of the two bodies.

For 67P/C-G there may also be two (or more) local gravitational lows, the deeper one near the center of the larger component.
The center of mass should be between the gravitational low of the larger component and the neck.
The neck should be near a Lagrangian point (a saddle in the field of gravity), which is between the local gravitational low of the smaller component and the center of mass.
At the center of mass there should be a net gravitational pull towards the local gravitational low of the larger component.

The center of mass is a point on the rotation axis.

Start with the Earth-Moon system as an easier-to-understand example, when reading the second paragraph a second time.

+Quote Post
Y Bar Ranch
post Aug 11 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 11 2014, 09:47 AM) *
Are these not contradictory statements?

Not contradictory, more like a non sequitur. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Y Bar Ranch
post Aug 11 2014, 04:08 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 11 2014, 10:37 AM) *
If you take a binary of two spherical bodies, the center of mass is in the middle of the line between those two bodies, but that's no gravitational low; it's more like a saddle;

That's what I meant to express. A small perturbation from the saddle point not exactly on the upward isoline and its downhill to one of the two lobes.

So escape velocity from the saddle point is likely lowest for the comet and it would dissipate at a higher rate, and any spray that doesn't make it off the comet from the neck is likely pulled to one of the lobes, adding to the saddle-ness of the saddle point. So for an asymetrical body, it seems that process is unstable and the asymmetry would grow, i.e., more necking.

There's probably an unstable process between the two lobes too, with one having a higher rate of dissipation and the heavier one stealing some of the lighter one's mass. But this is more guessing on my part.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 11 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (Y Bar Ranch @ Aug 11 2014, 06:08 PM) *
That's what I meant to express. A small perturbation from the saddle point not exactly on the upward isoline and its downhill to one of the two lobes.

That's really hard to tell at the moment, since the local gravitational lows are probably within the nucleus. Since the surface of the larger component is farther away from its local gravitational low than the surface of the neck is away from the line between the two(?) gravitational lows, we've two opposite effects which may or may not cancel out.

But I share the impression, that the surface of the nucleus isn't in perfect equilibrium between the several forces (gravity, inertial pseudo-forces, friction).
If there is some mass waste from the neck or from the smaller component towards the larger one, the field of gravity, and the rotation also change. Asymmetric loss of volatiles may change the angular velocity too.
This might eventually lead to ejection or collapse of some parts. As the comet gets closer to the Sun, I'd guess, we may see some dynamics.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 11 2014, 04:42 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (Y Bar Ranch @ Aug 11 2014, 05:08 PM) *
So escape velocity from the saddle point is likely lowest for the comet and it would dissipate at a higher rate, and any spray that doesn't make it off the comet from the neck is likely pulled to one of the lobes, adding to the saddle-ness of the saddle point. So for an asymetrical body, it seems that process is unstable and the asymmetry would grow, i.e., more necking.

I really don't think that's true. Consider a body consisting of two perfect touching spheres. Place a small test sphere on the surface of one of them and where would it roll to? Towards the contact point for sure as that is the point of lowest potential on the surface of the body. Thus the neck would tend to grow thicker.

+Quote Post
Y Bar Ranch
post Aug 11 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (ngunn @ Aug 11 2014, 12:42 PM) *
I really don't think that's true. Consider a body consisting of two perfect touching spheres. Place a small test sphere on the surface of one of them and where would it roll to? Towards the contact point for sure as that is the point of lowest potential on the surface of the body. Thus the neck would tend to grow thicker.

It would do that only because it is constrained to roll on the surface of the two spheres.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 15 2014, 06:18 PM
Post #44

Ok... I have been taking some time out from what I should really be doing - finishing a book (Emily will understand this) - to play around with some ideas about what a map of 'the nucleus that dare not speak its name' should look like.

Let me preface this by saying - this is a horrible map, very distorted and inaccurate, and the Rosetta team will do much better soon and completely discredit me. This is only intended to illustrate roughly what a proper map might look like. It's cylindrical, so the projection is very distorted to begin with.

We had a video of a shape with a lat-long grid, so that forms the basis of my coordinate system. I took images from orientations which roughly matched frames from the video and overlaid them. Two sources of error immediately - the shape was based on low res images and will not fit high res images very well to begin with, and the overlay is only approximate due to different view directions, so it's hard to match positions properly. Then I copied areas grid cell by grid cell and pasted them and distorted them to fit the grid. Lots of problems and bad fits especially in the neck area, obviously.

The grid is spaced at 15 degrees like the shape model video grid. Longitude 180 is in the middle. A separate version is annotated to show where the main features are.

Phil

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 15 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 5221

Very impressive! The axis must be tilted quite a lot; given the length of the seasons it might be a very long time until much of the 'southern hemisphere' is in sunlight to fill in the black spaces.

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Aug 16 2014, 07:54 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 6842

I have seen members here mention generating synthetic "in-between" frames from two images, so this is a callout for someone to hopefully generate a bunch of frames between the two fantastic OSIRIS images that made up that 3D view: http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/08/14/comet-67pc-g-in-3d/

The generated frames could be used to create a more "comfortable" anaglyph, or even an animation of the comet's rotation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MoreInput
post Aug 16 2014, 08:46 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 5156

Thanks for the map, Phil.

What about the idea to split the map into two part: one map for the potatoe shaped head, and one map for the body of the comet? On both maps there would be a circular black shape where the both are connected (the Neck).

--------------------
Need more input ...

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 16 2014, 09:42 PM
Post #48

That same idea occurred to me: map them separately as if they were Pluto and Charon, only in contact. Each part approximates a spheroid well enough. Making the common rotation axis the lynch-pin of the coordinate system forces horrendous distortions on the map. Furthermore any advantage in doing so will most likely prove ephemeral when the rotation axis shifts due to mass wasting at perihelion.

In fact the two parts may roll a bit and settle together differently at that time. How fares the coordinate system then?

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 17 2014, 04:55 AM
Post #49

this gif animation ( pre orbit data )
http://scitechdaily.com/images/New-3D-View...setta-Comet.gif

I have been able to get a ??? fair pointcloud out of the gif
-- view in meshlab

that is then meshed - in meshlab and cleaned up in blender

a link to a zip on my g-drive
67p.8-21-2014Mesh.zip - 1.8 meg with a 4k texture
https://googledrive.com/host/0B6ZYAd08tZL-V...21-2014Mesh.zip

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 17 2014, 05:33 AM
Post #50

Re - mapping the lobes separately - it's an interesting idea and I would welcome any efforts along those lines. As I said in an earlier post, there's no one best way to do it, and we need many efforts to tackle this problem in different ways. But right now I think we should wait for a more detailed shape model and more images.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 20 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #51

still working on this , just an early preview

I was able to extract a pointcloud from the gif animation
http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/07/28/up...et-shape-model/

needs cleaning and meshing and is only a rough draft ....

Phils map from post 188
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=212119

as expected there is a LOT of distortion

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 22 2014, 03:39 AM
Post #52

JohnVV wrote:

I was able to extract a pointcloud from the gif animation
-------

needs cleaning and meshing and is only a rough draft ....

Phils map from post 188
--------

as expected there is a LOT of distortion

Wow! Considering how I put that thing together, I'm amazed how well the rendering worked out. Well done!

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 22 2014, 03:50 AM
Post #53

phil
there is a zip with a obj mesh in it here

i have 0 long on the flat "base" and 180 on the top of the "head"

it would be nice if the ESA would release there mesh ...

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Aug 22 2014, 02:13 PM
Post #54

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Aug 17 2014, 04:55 AM) *
this gif animation ( pre orbit data )
http://scitechdaily.com/images/New-3D-View...setta-Comet.gif

I have been able to get a ??? fair pointcloud out of the gif
-- view in meshlab

that is then meshed - in meshlab and cleaned up in blender

Do you explain somewhere the method you used to get the meshed version from pointcloud version? I'd like to print a 3d-model of Pathfinder landing site (remember it?), but there are so many holes in the 3d data I found (a 20 years old VRML model...) that it's impossible to fill them up by hand.

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Aug 22 2014, 04:07 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 468

I'm playing around making a highresolution 3D representation of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko using a hybrid stereo correlation/shape from shading approach...

Take a look:
http://mattias.malmer.nu/wp-content/upload...683D8388A36.mov

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 22 2014, 05:50 PM
Post #56

Do you explain somewhere the method you used to get the meshed version from pointcloud version? I'd like to print a 3d-model of Pathfinder landing site (remember it?), but there are so many holes in the 3d data I found (a 20 years old VRML model...) that it's impossible to fill them up by hand.

this thread is not the place for that

i will post an explanation in the imaging processing
but very basically
1) used "bundler-sfm"
2) used meshlab
3) then minor correcting in Blender

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 23 2014, 01:35 AM
Post #57

QUOTE (Malmer @ Aug 22 2014, 12:07 PM) *
I'm playing around making a highresolution 3D representation of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko using a hybrid stereo correlation/shape from shading approach...

Take a look:

nice vid
i take it that is from the red/blue image release
as Phil has posted mapping is going to be a pain
do to the second sphere on top that makes a HIDDEN area from using a simple-cylindrical map

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Aug 23 2014, 06:42 AM
Post #58

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Aug 23 2014, 03:35 AM) *
nice vid
i take it that is from the red/blue image release
as Phil has posted mapping is going to be a pain
do to the second sphere on top that makes a HIDDEN area from using a simple-cylindrical map

Yes. I used the a and b images from that release. Well spotted! I can get very high resolution depth data from that pair. I used that pair as a quick test because it was easy to get it to work.

I think limiting one self to using a simple cylindrical map for a concave object is inheritly wrong. What to do if you come across something with a higher genus topology. (Like a toroid or double toroid) then you would always have multiple overlaps. I like the idea of using multiple local cylindrical maps like mentioned earlier.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 23 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #59

Hi Malmer - cartographers have already discussed these issues, so nobody is limiting anything to cylindrical maps. But the standard cylindrical maps are useful in many cases despite bad distortions because they are easily imported into common visualization software.

As an example, a toroidal world - like a comet nucleus with a vent burned right through it - could be mapped onto a plane using two dimensions, the azimuth around the ring itself and the azimuth around the cross-section (if you see what I mean) - two perpendicular azimuth dimensions mapped into a rectangle. It could also be mapped in azimuthal projections as the top and bottom faces, each one a circle with a hole in the middle. A Pretzel world - multiple piercings, a sort of hipster comet - could be done in more complex variations of the same ideas.

Even cylindrical mapping can be done differently - especially as a transverse cylindrical projection where, for instance, an extremely elongated object like Eros can be surrounded by a cylinder whose long axis coincides with the object's long axis (instead of the rotation axis). Only the outer ends don't get mapped well like that, and they are done on small separate maps, as we often do polar maps in addition to a cylindrical Mercator projection.

Separate maps of different areas are fine - we do it all the time on Earth after all - but they don't solve the issue of making one global map.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Aug 23 2014, 05:36 PM
Post #60

For my own selfish purposes I will probably use some kind of LSCM unwrap to have resonably distortionfree and areapreserving representation.

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Aug 23 2014, 10:06 PM
Post #61

QUOTE (Malmer @ Aug 22 2014, 04:07 PM) *

Take a look:

Simply amazing!
Are you also able to obtain a 3d STL model from those data?

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Aug 23 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #62

QUOTE (mcgyver @ Aug 24 2014, 12:06 AM) *
Simply amazing!
Are you also able to obtain a 3d STL model from those data?

As it is now it is just a heightfield. It is just a quick proof of concept. I am going to use it to build a full shapemodel.

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Aug 24 2014, 10:07 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 384

QUOTE (Malmer @ Aug 24 2014, 12:42 AM) *
I am going to use it to build a full shapemodel.

WOW!!!! That's amazing!!! Awesome!!!! blink.gif
While you build full model can you upload some more of the so far finished stuff....perhaps youtube???

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 25 2014, 10:42 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (wildespace @ Aug 16 2014, 09:54 AM) *
I have seen members here mention generating synthetic "in-between" frames from two images, so this is a callout for someone to hopefully generate a bunch of frames between the two fantastic OSIRIS images that made up that 3D view: http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/08/14/comet-67pc-g-in-3d/

The generated frames could be used to create a more "comfortable" anaglyph, or even an animation of the comet's rotation.

It's possible (and Gerald already did this) but it's complicated by the shape of 67P and it's very time consuming job especially in case of rotation animation (which is possible thanks to the NavCam images).
My guess is at least one hundred control points for every pair of images. For whole animation (one revolution) it's 1300-1500 control points.

QUOTE (Malmer @ Aug 22 2014, 06:07 PM) *

Take a look:

It looks very impressive! It reminds me some works from the former(?) UMSF member who did 3D images from HiRISE cameras by shape-from-shading method.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 25 2014, 12:08 PM
Post #65

QUOTE (machi @ Aug 25 2014, 12:42 PM) *
... it's very time consuming job ...
My guess is at least one hundred control points for every pair of images...

By automated matching of 256x256 = 65536 (overlapping) small tiles, and storing the respective displacements, I've tried to get this somehow managed.
But areas with few features, e.g. large shadows or very smooth patches, are hard to match, and result in very noisy parts, despite noise filtering. Some features aren't visible in both images, so again hard to match.
Here a visualization of such a displacement map:

The displacement map can then be used to generate a radius map (kind of a depth map), provided some telemetry data are known or estimated:

From this, a 3d-mesh could be generated. (But the quality of the above map isn't too convincing.)
I've used the displacement map to generate the interpolated frames.
(Credit for the underlying images, used to generate the above maps: ESA / Rosetta / MPS for OSIRIS Team MPS / UPD / LAM / IAA / SSO / INTA / UPM / DASP / IDA)

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 2 2014, 11:41 PM
Post #66

t would be interesting to see a map of where "down" is in the different surface areas of the comet.

down in the -- north up and south down ---
a repost from a different forum
the bottom two images in the bottom right image

been working on mapping the esa jpg images to a updated mesh
-- not looking good YET
a 10 deg grid test map
then warped to the mesh -- this is SCARY
( as in Oct. 31 scary )
then just the updated mesh and esa images from aug. 7 and 15

+Quote Post
charborob
post Sep 3 2014, 12:42 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 3908

What I would like to see is an image of the comet surrounded with short arrows pointing in the "down" direction.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 3 2014, 01:08 AM
Post #68

with "Down as the direction of the SouthPole
a few images

Navcam from the 14,15,20 and two images of my mesh in blender
Copyright: ESA/Rosetta/NAVCAM
and me - John vanvliet

a DEM from the mesh i am using
the center is 0 long / 0 lat -180 to 180

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Sep 3 2014, 01:20 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 675

QUOTE (charborob @ Sep 2 2014, 07:42 PM) *
What I would like to see is an image of the comet surrounded with short arrows pointing in the "down" direction.
A similar result would be obtained by color coding a map of the comet to show height in reference to the "geoid”. The colors would quickly show which regions of the comet were uphill or downhill from each other.

Of course, the shape of 67P C-G's geoid will be interesting in itself – and something of a chore to compute.

+Quote Post
Y Bar Ranch
post Sep 3 2014, 11:14 AM
Post #70

QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 2 2014, 01:16 PM) *
You made that statement before, but the opposite is in fact the case. The midpoint is the place on the comet's surface where gravitational potential is lowest...

If you were to take two spherical objects and connect them with a stick (or have them orbit each other) then the low potential point would not be at the midpoint between them, I.e., at the center of mass of the two body system. There would be two low points, at the center of mass of each of the two spheres. The midpoint of the system is a saddle point, with a higher potential than either of the two centers.

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Sep 3 2014, 11:49 AM
Post #71

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Sep 3 2014, 01:41 AM) *
down in the -- north up and south down ---
a repost from a different forum
the bottom two images in the bottom right image

been working on mapping the esa jpg images to a updated mesh
-- not looking good YET
a 10 deg grid test map
then warped to the mesh -- this is SCARY
( as in Oct. 31 scary )
then just the updated mesh and esa images from aug. 7 and 15

Is that your own shapemodel or is it something ESA have made that is in the public domain?

Im working on building my own. but I would like to have another stereo pair from osiris before i continue in ernest. (i want to make an ultra high density model)

I have reverseengineered all the spacecraft positions relative to the comet for all pictures up until now but i have no real coordinate system yet. Is there a consensus northpole and a southpole and a prime meridian that i can use to build that?

Just points on the surface would help smile.gif

edit:
oh.. you just posted those pictures... where did you get that information?

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 3 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #72

QUOTE (Y Bar Ranch @ Sep 3 2014, 12:14 PM) *
If you were to take two spherical objects and connect them with a stick (or have them orbit each other) then the low potential point would not be at the midpoint between them, I.e., at the center of mass of the two body system. There would be two low points, at the center of mass of each of the two spheres. The midpoint of the system is a saddle point, with a higher potential than either of the two centers.

That's absolutely correct, but materials on the comet surface cannot fall towards either of the two centres. They are constrained to move on or above the surface. That being so, the neck is the lowest potential location they can migrate to.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 3 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #73

Is that your own shapemodel or is it something ESA have made that is in the public domain?

no it is all mine
i used motion to make a "point cloud" from two videos
then meshed it and just finished a rough edit

i am about to add details from the images using "shape from shade"
an old bit of code from a siggraph paper "mini_sfs"
and a newer phd paper and code
http://code.google.com/p/hyperion-cv/

i have NOT uploaded version TWO yet
version 1 is here

--- VERSION 2 is here "67P.09.03.2014.zip"
https://googledrive.com/host/0B6ZYAd08tZL-V....09.03.2014.zip

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 3 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #74

I am very impressed by this, John! Looking forward to seeing it evolve.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Y Bar Ranch
post Sep 3 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #75

QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 3 2014, 08:07 AM) *
That's absolutely correct, but materials on the comet surface cannot fall towards either of the two centres. They are constrained to move on or above the surface. That being so, the neck is the lowest potential location they can migrate to.

OK, here's my super simple comet model. Two spheres, radius 2 and radius 1, connected by a cylinder neck of length = 1 and radius = 1/2. Streamlines are down the gradient of the potential. Contours are the potential. YMMV on accuracy. I can improve it and generate the 3D field with some more accurate estimations of the lobes and neck. Fun to fiddle with.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 3 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #76

QUOTE (Y Bar Ranch @ Sep 3 2014, 07:33 PM) *
super simple comet model

Excellent! Now focus on the force vectors just at the points where they intersect the surface of the 'comet' and imagine them resolved into normal and tangential components. Chuck out the normal components and map the tangential ones as arrows drawn on the 'cometary' surface. You would then have a first approximation local slope direction map as requested by Mercure and charborob a few posts up. EDIT: now at post 227 in the other Rosetta thread, Early Orbital Operations.

EDIT: Interestingly, your diagram already shows that the steepest gradient (angle between force vector and the normal) is to be found on the inner side of the smaller lobe, exactly the place on the actual comet where there are features tentatively attributed to a landslip.

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Sep 3 2014, 08:54 PM
Post #77

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Sep 3 2014, 07:14 PM) *
no it is all mine
i used motion to make a "point cloud" from two videos

Ah, you used ESAs videos of their shapemodel and reverseengineered it. Clever.

I'm just using the "raw" images to build my own. (I want to make it from scratch just as an exercise in image processing)

I'm using a very simple shape from shading algorithm that i made myself to add the details. (Would make your skin crawl)

The race is on smile.gif

+Quote Post
Y Bar Ranch
post Sep 3 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #78

I'd be interested in grabbing whatever you guys come up with. Point cloud is OK. Then I can play with gravity modeling.

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Sep 3 2014, 09:48 PM
Post #79

Will post as soon as it is resonably correct.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 3 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #80

I'd be interested in grabbing whatever you guys come up with. Point cloud is OK. Then I can play with gravity modeling.

i just zipped up a the mash as of today
-- a low res 1.3 meg .obj file
the zip contains a map-grid uv mapped

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Sep 3 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #81

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Sep 3 2014, 11:50 PM) *

I will use it to line up mine so that we work in the same coordinate system.

(Just noticed that I made my 100th post and became a "Member" today after nine years. I guess I read a lot and post very little...)

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 3 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #82

QUOTE (Y Bar Ranch @ Sep 3 2014, 08:33 PM) *
OK, here's my super simple comet model...

Does the model already contain the shift due to rotation?

+Quote Post
Mercure
post Sep 3 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 7185

QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 3 2014, 08:19 PM) *
map the tangential ones as arrows drawn on the 'cometary' surface.

Yes, I also think that would be the best visualisation, with arrow length indicating gravitational pull. Or perhaps visualize it as 'stubs' or 'sticks' on the surface of the model, with tilt and length of the stubs indicating gravitational direction and pull.

Such a visualization would also be interesting seen in conjunction with outgassing, to see if hotspots correlate with areas of relatively weak gravity or not.

Y Bar Ranch, very interesting first stab at a visualisation, thank you for doing it.

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Sep 4 2014, 02:59 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 6108

Another way that readers might better associate with the upcoming Philae landing process would be to have a set of points positioned above each candidate landing site about 10km off the surface with a downward pointing arrow representing the direction and relative strength of attraction on each such 100kilogram point. Then we could appreciate the unique issues with being positioned correctly at release for a descent into the intended spot. Ignoring the orbital velocity, just the "down" vector at those locations would be interesting to see. Is this possible, and even useful for others?

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post
Y Bar Ranch
post Sep 4 2014, 12:12 PM
Post #85

QUOTE (Gerald @ Sep 3 2014, 05:50 PM) *
Does the model already contain the shift due to rotation?

No...just a simple malformed dumbbell right now

+Quote Post
CAP-Team
post Sep 4 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 1067

Thanks! Let's see if I can convert it to 3ds and then to CMOD smile.gif

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Sep 4 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #87

QUOTE (CAP-Team @ Sep 4 2014, 06:50 PM) *
Thanks! Let's see if I can convert it to 3ds and then to CMOD smile.gif

What about STL? Is it possible?

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 4 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #88

3ds to cmod is rather easy
now the plugin is for the OLD!!! blender python API
so you need to use Blender 2.49b

and building the tool " cmodview" from the celestia SVN source will save a ASCII mesh to a binary mesh

also my mesh IS NOT a "3ds "
it is a Alias Wavefront format
that is almost identical to the PDS vertex shape file

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Sep 4 2014, 08:33 PM
Post #89

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Sep 4 2014, 10:11 PM) *
3ds to cmod is rather easy
now the plugin is for the OLD!!! blender python API
so you need to use Blender 2.49b

and building the tool " cmodview" from the celestia SVN source will save a ASCII mesh to a binary mesh

also my mesh IS NOT a "3ds "
it is a Alias Wavefront format
that is almost identical to the PDS vertex shape file

The 3ds format is really not much fun. The 3DS format does not support more than one UV coordinate per vertex. You will get problems along UV seams

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 4 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #90

Founder

QUOTE (mcgyver @ Sep 4 2014, 12:08 PM) *
What about STL? Is it possible?

Download and install Blender ( http://www.blender.org/ )

Import OBJ

Export STL.

Done.

(Caution - you will not want to try and print an object like this on a 3D printer as-is. You will need to bifurcate it into hemispheres - such as I've done for other small bodies like Eros, Itokawa and Vesta http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/search/ellison/model )

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 4 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #91

Some qualitative sensitivity analysis of trajectories to a rotating contact binary starting from an equatorial position about 10km from the center.
This gif shows a 10 and a 100 trajectories version to a binary consisting of two spheres, radii 1250 and 750m, density 1000 kg/m³ (to get about 1e13kg with this geometry), rotation period 12.4 hours; initial tangential velocity of the lander is zero (relative to the inertial frame at rest relative to the center), initial radial velocity 0.5 m/s:

The trajectories are shown in a reference frame, rotating with the binary.
Only the region on one side of the neck isn't accessible, even in theory.

High sensitivity to initial radial velocity of the lander, in 0.1 m/s steps from 0.0 to 0.5 m/s:

and to initial tangential velocity (0.0 and 0.1 m/s):

Sensitivity to the comet's mass is higher for low initial radial velocity (0.1 m/s) of the lander

than for higher initial radial velocity (0.4 m/s); this may have been expected:

(assuming no relevant programming flaws)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 4 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 152

Nice. So did you chose the rotation axis to be perpendicular to the line joining the two centres? I guess that crudely corresponds to C-G.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 4 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #93

Yes.

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Sep 4 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #94

I cant really get the scale right. Is it an arbitrary scale on your model?

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 5 2014, 06:47 PM
Post #95

Blender is not a "cad/cam" set-up
so the dimensions are NOT in Meters or KM

also depending on what software you are using to import the mesh , it might be big or small

but the proportions will not change

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Sep 5 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #96

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Sep 5 2014, 08:47 PM) *
Blender is not a "cad/cam" set-up
so the dimensions are NOT in Meters or KM

also depending on what software you are using to import the mesh , it might be big or small

but the proportions will not change

I'm using imagemodeler to generate a relatively sparse pointcloud. I'm manually placing all the markers on each image to make sure that there is maximum precision in the camera solve. I'm calibrating the scale to match the spacecraft distances that ESA give for the images.

I will drop that data into Nuke to generate a dense cloud by stereo correlation. Then I will add the last bit of detail using SFS.

There will probably be a bit of 3dsmax aswell.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 16 2014, 05:44 AM
Post #97

well the landing site is near 190 long and just a bit north about 15 north

some pics in 3D of the area and a DEM ( using SFS)

there is a zip of the mesh ( not 100% accurate to the comet ,just an approximation )
https://googledrive.com/host/0B6ZYAd08tZL-V...LandingSite.zip
PhilaeLandingSite.zip
│   ├── PhilaeLandingSite.mtl
│   ├── PhilaeLandingSite.obj
│   ├── Philae_s_primary_landing_site1.png
│   ├── sfs_DEM.32bitFloat.tiff
│   └── sfs_DEM.8bit.png

the heightmap is from this image
http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/20...ry_landing_site
using Shape From Shade

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 24 2014, 12:43 AM
Post #98

with the few images and the video
"Possible landing sites on _ Mögliche Landestellen auf Churyumov-Gerasimenko - YouTube [720p].mp4 "
can anyone add a bit more pinpoint area for a few locations
0 long
180 long
90 North
prime meridian
as far as i can tell they are someplace in the red circles below

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Sep 24 2014, 01:17 AM
Post #99

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Sep 24 2014, 02:43 AM) *
with the few images and the video
"Possible landing sites on _ Mögliche Landestellen auf Churyumov-Gerasimenko - YouTube [720p].mp4 "
can anyone add a bit more pinpoint area for a few locations
0 long
180 long
90 North
prime meridian
as far as i can tell they are someplace in the red circles below

I really want that data aswell... (and an exact distance between north south wouldn't hurt either)

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Sep 24 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #100

from the image
"Comet_on_16_August_c.jpg" has 180 x 0 and 90N in it
and a few other images

it looks like one can make a line from some boulders in the crater to the N pole

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:30 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.