IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Continuing into Glenelg, Leaving Rocknest behind, sols 102-166 (Nov 18 2012-Jan 23, 2013)
Astro0
post Nov 19 2012, 05:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

New frontiers smile.gif Sol 102

Attached Image

Larger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
marsophile
post Apr 28 2013, 03:34 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4338

"A determination about how much time passed between the emplacement of the water-formed rocks and then a second episode of water flowing through cracks in the rocks can not be determined with Curiosity's instrument suite," she said.

http://spaceref.com/mars/curiousmars-tripl...production.html

If APXS readings were obtained for the vein material, would not the relative amounts of deuterium give an estimate of the time intervening between the two events?

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Apr 28 2013, 03:56 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (marsophile @ Apr 27 2013, 09:34 PM) *
If APXS readings were obtained for the vein material, would not the relative amounts of deuterium give an estimate of the time intervening between the two events?

Ummm... can the APXS detect deuterium at all, much less analyze its relative abundance? An Astronomy Online review of the MER APXSes (which, as I understand it, are quite similar to the one on Curiosity) says the following:

The x-ray mode is sensitive to major elements, such as Mg, Al, Si, K, Ca, and Fe, and to minor elements, including Na, P, S, Cl, Ti, Cr, and Mn. The alpha mode is sensitive to lighter elements, particularly C and O. The depth of analysis varies with atomic number, ranging from approximately 10 to 20 micrometers for sodium, to approximately 50 to 100 micrometers for iron. The detection limit is typically 0.5 to 1 weight percent, depending on the element. The APXS is insensitive to small variations of the geometry of the sample surface because all major and minor elements are determined, and can be summed to 100 weight percent.

I don't see H mentioned anywhere in the list of elements to which the APXS is sensitive. Obviously, it's not a definitive list, but... just sayin', I thought APXS only gave relative atomic abundances and only for a selected set of elements to which the detectors are sensitive. I didn't think it actually gave molecular abundance information.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
DFortes
post Apr 28 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1957

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Apr 28 2013, 04:56 AM) *
Ummm... can the APXS detect deuterium at all, much less analyze its relative abundance? An Astronomy Online review of the MER APXSes (which, as I understand it, are quite similar to the one on Curiosity) says the following:

I don't see H mentioned anywhere in the list of elements to which the APXS is sensitive. Obviously, it's not a definitive list, but... just sayin', I thought APXS only gave relative atomic abundances and only for a selected set of elements to which the detectors are sensitive. I didn't think it actually gave molecular abundance information.

-the other Doug

There are two answers to the question of this instrument's ability to detect light element. Firstly, hydrogen (and deuterium) do not fluoresce in the X-ray portion of the spectrum - their most energetic emissions unpon excitation are in the UV.
Secondly, progressively lighter elements emit lower energy X-ray (from 525 eV for oxygen, down to 54 eV for lithium), and these are more readily absorbed by any 'air' between the sample and detector. I haven't sat down to do the calculations, but I suspect that even the relatively thin martian atmosphere will substantially block these low-energy emissions along path lengths of mm to cm in air (to say nothing of through solid rock!)
And this is before you even begin to worry about what the detector is sensitive to....

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2024 - 12:53 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.