IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

61 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Continuing into Glenelg, Leaving Rocknest behind, sols 102-166 (Nov 18 2012-Jan 23, 2013)
Airbag
post Jan 4 2013, 06:44 PM
Post #511

Group: Members
Member No.: 453

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 2 2013, 12:10 PM) *
One approach - paste one image over another. Invert the shading of the top one (make it a negative of itself). Make the top one 50% transparent. If no change the result is a flat grey. And change including shadows will show up light or dark. Major contrast stretch might help.

Did that for sols 120-146; still nothing obvious or indeed anything even vaguely possible that persisted for more than one frame. I tested the algorithm below with some dummy +1/-1% brightness "dust devil" data which did then show up quite easily:

CODE
convert a.JPG -colorspace Gray \( b.JPG -colorspace Gray -negate \) \
-compose Plus -composite -modulate 50 -blur 9 -auto-level out.jpg

Airbag

PS No idea why the code box above is so big.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 4 2013, 09:57 PM
Post #512

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

And we have a name: "Snake River". http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2013-003

+Quote Post
dburt
post Jan 4 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #513

Member No.: 1555

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jan 3 2013, 04:26 PM) *
...Fluvial or aeolian origin may still be options. Fluvial may be more likely than lacustrine. But I think, the impact hypotheses will become less likely.

For non-geologists, I point out that MSL is exploring a thick sequence of layered rocks, presumably formed over a long period of time by a variety of processes. Each layer (even a thin layer) could have been formed by a process distinct from whatever formed the layers above and below it, and owing to, say, erosion and reworking, any given layer might have formed by a combination of processes. Given the impact- and volcanism-dominated history of early Mars, one would certainly expect to find layers formed by distant impacts (e.g., blast beds) or volcanoes (e.g., ash beds) inter-layered with rocks formed by other processes.
-dburt

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 4 2013, 11:14 PM
Post #514

Member No.: 542

Apologies for not being fully up to speed but a one word answer would help me here. Does your scenario for early Mars include or exclude the possibility of a lake of water in Gale crater?

+Quote Post
Zelenyikot
post Jan 4 2013, 11:14 PM
Post #515

Member No.: 6725

Colored ChemCam on Sol 147 and location of shots in Snake River
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
My blog on Patreon

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Jan 5 2013, 12:23 AM
Post #516

Member No.: 678

Sol 147 Navcam pan. Get ready for some drilling ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jan 5 2013, 01:11 AM
Post #517

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (DonBurt)
Each layer (even a thin layer) could have been formed by a process distinct from whatever formed the layers above and below it, and owing to, say, erosion and reworking, any given layer might have formed by a combination of processes.
Absolutely. On Mars, the stratigraphy is exceedingly complex and most depositional, weathering and erosional processes, although familiar, are quite alien in their details.

QUOTE (ngunn)
a one word answer would help me here...

Maybe.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
dburt
post Jan 5 2013, 02:01 AM
Post #518

Member No.: 1555

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jan 4 2013, 04:14 PM) *
...a one word answer would help me here. Does your scenario for early Mars include or exclude the possibility of a lake of water in Gale crater?

Sorry, to the extent that this was addressed to me, no opinion and no particular scenario. As a geologist, I merely try to interpret the rocks as they are imaged. So far MSL has imaged no rocks that look like lake beds, but the mission is just beginning. Bill Harris just summarized this matter far more succinctly than I ever could.
-dburt

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 5 2013, 03:19 AM
Post #519

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

At last! I'm back home after my holiday travels - and/or travails - so i can get back to work on Mars. Here is Ant103's new pan in circular format. I will be updating the route map when I get back to my office, where I can call it 'work'.

Phil

Attached Image

PS - I really like the color chemcam images.

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 5 2013, 09:06 AM
Post #520

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jan 5 2013, 01:11 AM) *
Maybe.

QUOTE (dburt @ Jan 5 2013, 02:01 AM) *
no opinion and no particular scenario.

Thanks both.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jan 5 2013, 11:19 PM
Post #521

Sols 137-141 MastCam 100 pano now almost complete with some full-size stragglers arriving today. Just two more!

Attached Image

Airbag

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jan 6 2013, 04:48 AM
Post #522

...and the sol 137 MastCam34 360 degree pano's last two full-size images arrived today; this updated QT pano starts off pointing at the current Sol 147 view:

Attached File  MSL_sol_137_ML_QT_pano_v2.mov ( 947.26K ) Number of downloads: 404

Airbag

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jan 6 2013, 05:17 AM
Post #523

...and for traditionalists, the sol 137 MastCam34 (pano) view of this same current sol 147 area in color and high res (shame that that one image is still missing...):

Attached Image

Airbag

+Quote Post
Reed
post Jan 6 2013, 06:27 AM
Post #524

Member No.: 4114

Impressive tail on this rock from sol 138 http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...6000E2_DXXX.jpg

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jan 6 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #525

Member No.: 3988

As Airbag said, the Sol-137 Left Mastcam is now complete. smile.gif
My version has been reduced 25 percent because Flickr fails to upload the full version. Grr

EDIT: Added some sky smile.gif

+Quote Post

61 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 01:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.