IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

41 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rosetta - Early Orbital Operations at Comet 67P C-G, August 6, 2014 - November 13, 2014
Ant103
post Oct 20 2014, 06:49 PM
Post #511

Group: Members
Member No.: 678

Hello everyone !

I didn't stopped imagery processing, because I'm playing with the astounding images that Rosetta are sending us.

The last one was amazing, but very hard to processe. Here is the result smile.gif

(Check out the bottom)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaceScout
post Oct 20 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #512

Member No.: 7229

Great mosaic Ant103!

QUOTE (charborob @ Oct 20 2014, 08:09 PM) *
If there is fine-grained loose material on the surface of the comet, could the gases ejected around perihelion act as a kind of "wind", moving the grains around and shaping them into ripples?

there was already a discussion of very speculative wind-like formed ridges and ripples few posts ago. Question remain whether the smooth material is hard (e.g., duricrust) or loose.

--------------------
space scout

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 20 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #513

Member No.: 682

Nice to see you're still around Damia smile.gif
The crack on the right end side of the neck is clearly visible. Hope C-G will stay together. If not, the GC will change...

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 20 2014, 07:20 PM
Post #514

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Thank you, Damia. Astonishing work as always!

Those features on the 'sand' really do look like dunes. I agree with charborob's 'vent wind' conjecture as well. In fact, such 'winds' would presumably have a major role in distributing the fine material in the first place.

Lots of interesting questions arise here. What is the composition of the fines? Can we measure the rate of vent outflow to determine how much force was exerted to form the dunes, thereby setting constraints on both grain size & composition? How exactly was the fine material even formed in the first place?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 20 2014, 08:23 PM
Post #515

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (charborob @ Oct 20 2014, 07:09 PM) *
If there is fine-grained loose material on the surface of the comet, could the gases ejected around perihelion act as a kind of "wind", moving the grains around and shaping them into ripples?

I'm highly sceptical on this. Dune or ripple formation as we understand it involves gravity controlled saltation and a reasonably steady horizontal wind. Saltating grains on the comet would have to be moving extremely slowly to avoid being blown away altogether. 'Winds' associated with cometary activity are presumably highly variable throughout each orbit and, on the evidence of the jets we see here, near vertical in direction. I agree the visual similarity to Martian dunes is uncanny and may well indicate some underlying connection at a mathematical level, but I think the physical process is likely to be very different.

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Oct 20 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #516

Member No.: 6783

I think these two are taking 'Extreme Ironing' a bit far! laugh.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Oct 20 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #517

Member No.: 15

Excellent work, Damia! I can't tell, of course, how much of this might be some kind of image artifacting, but in this image you posted it almost looks like sheets of dust are being ejected -- very fine sheets.

It's a real imaging challenge to show the surface details of the nucleus and also see the jet and dust action. You *really* captured that with this one!

-the other Doug (With my shield, not yet upon it)

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
foxfire
post Oct 20 2014, 11:45 PM
Post #518

Member No.: 4184

It is amazing how much this looks like snow to my eyes, particularly given its bright contrast in the black and white photos and the way it seems to drape over the landscape. Not knowing enough about the physics/physical chemistry involved, i would be interested to know if is there any possibility that a volatile substance (as opposed to a "dust") could be emitted and subsequently deposited (or perhaps directly sprayed onto the landscape, or recaptured by the comet's gravity) and survive any sublimation into "free" space?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 20 2014, 11:59 PM
Post #519

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

It looks like snow because the contrast in the images has been stretched -- there is an excellent blog post on the ESA website about this. The comet is actually extremely dark, about 5% reflective, darker than charcoal. Its surface is definitely covered in dust (that's an early reported result of the mission) and much of the surface is actually too warm for water to be stable, though it's much much colder just below the surface (as reported by Sam Gulkis to the NASA Social held at JPL last week).

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
foxfire
post Oct 21 2014, 12:32 AM
Post #520

Member No.: 4184

Thank you, Emily.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Oct 21 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #521

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Oct 20 2014, 08:49 PM) *
The last one was amazing, but very hard to processe. Here is the result smile.gif

Thanks a lot Damia !
It really looks like a view that could have inspired a painting from Chesley Bonestell...
Enjoy ! smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 22 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #522

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Oct 18th Navcam 4 frames from http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/10/22/co...ops-neighbours/
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Oct 22 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #523

Member No.: 655

Nice work!

Some of these structures are reminiscent of fumaroles, with encrustations around the edges.

BTW has anyone spotted any potential impact structures yet?

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 22 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #524

Member No.: 5221

There was one way back during the first big OSIRIS release. It was a small dust-covered bowl (a third of the way down here: http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...around-cg.html).

Nothing confirmed, of course.

Ed:Fixed misplaced bracket...

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 22 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #525

Member No.: 132

Edit: To add the pertinent image from Explorer1's link to Emily's blog.
Attached Image

And a crop from that image. That crater sits in the center of a raised mound. Coincidence?
Attached Image

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.