8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL self portrait, Sols 84 - 85
mcaplinger
post Nov 2 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

BTW, as far as I know we have no immediate plans for a 3D release, so you guys can go nuts with that.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Nov 2 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 4177

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2012, 11:34 PM) *
... All that said, the rover body came out pretty white so I don't think the color is too far off. I'd have worried more about that if we had more time, but it took a while to get all the tiepoints right. ...

I would love to see you and your colleagues' attempts at revealing the true colors of Gale as you characterize the cameras and integrate the global lighting effects as you've analyzed them. If that is one of your interests with the data, please let us know if ever such an image (or images) is (are) released.

It is remarkable to get your perspective on this mission as you and your colleagues do the work. Thanks for sharing it!

+Quote Post
Antonb
post Nov 2 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 6469

Truly awesome self-portrait, which really helps to identify various components seen in previous shots. Remember the odd scratch marks seen on NavcamR images for Sol 62? On this Sol 84 MAHLI frame, the marks can be seen again, on a suspension strut attached to the right front wheel. Detail crop, tweaked and flipped to approximate the Sol 62 image:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Austin Godber
post Nov 2 2012, 03:29 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 6612

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 2 2012, 07:14 AM) *
That's a temperature probe was stuck to the ChemCam housing during thermal-vac testing. After testing it was removed, but a 'scar' was left behind.

Thanks, I was wondering what that was.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 2 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 2 2012, 11:33 AM) *
And there is something we can't see immediately, but what panoramic stitchers like us know, is that there is absoluteluy no paralax between images. This lead me to this conclusion : the robotic arm had to do complex gestures in order to avoid shiftings, rotating itself around the optical center of the MAHLI lens.
I'm not a stitcher, but I did notice this. There's quite a bit of overlap between frames, so I checked to see if I could make a stereo view of the RSM using neighbouring frames. If mahli had rotated about some axis on the arm, you'd expect transverse displacement (leading to parallax) as the pointing changed, which would let you make an anaglyph of the overlapping regions.

But when I tried it, I saw that there was very little transverse movement (and what was there was totally dominated by lens distortions). So, like Ant says, it looks like effort was made to rotate about the optical centre. That gives me hope that the 84/85 stereo view will be very clean (at least for the appropriate projection).

Edit: the full resolution almost-simultaneous ML view of the turret is down!

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 2 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #66

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (ngunn @ Nov 2 2012, 06:21 AM) *
It would be fascinating to see that in anaglyph too (beg beg). I'd expect various 'imposible' 3D effects to pop out.

Here you go.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Jam Butty
post Nov 2 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 6119

QUOTE (ngunn @ Nov 2 2012, 02:21 PM) *
That's excellent Jam Butty! There's such a lot going on there with the turret movement and two very different sets of reflections also moving between frames. It would be fascinating to see that in anaglyph too (beg beg). I'd expect various 'imposible' 3D effects to pop out.

Here is a zoomed and croped anaglyph of the mirror, but as Ant and fredk have pointed out, there is not a lot of parralax between these images. Most of the displacement that can be seen is probably due to arm/turret movement...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 2 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #68

Sol 85 mahlis down now! Not only will this give a stereo view of the rover, but we have a pair of ML views of the turret that give a nice (but subtle) stereo effect:
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 2 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #69

And a preview of the stereo self-portrait. Beware, there's some misalignment here that may lead to headaches.
Attached Image

Attached Image

I can't wait to see what the stitchers can do with this!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 2 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #70

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Oh my oh my oh my that's nice.

One general comment, not just to you but to everyone doing image processing work: I suggest processing out the "schmutz" on each camera. Mastcam-R has one prominent black schmutz spot (see this pic). MAHLI has 3 or 4 big ones and several smaller ones (they are easy to see in this photo that mostly contains sky). They're especially distracting in stereo images. If you're going to spend hours and hours building and blending seamless mosaics, dust 'em off a bit first!

ADMIN NOTE: A few later posts about the "schmutz" moved here. See Ed's clever Photoshop 'Action' for removing it.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Nov 2 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 678

I've updated the self-portrait pan with two of the three missing frames. Just one missing and it will be done, I think smile.gif

And my definitive postcard version of this mosaic.

Fredk : very good stereoscopic view. I hope finding the time to do one with the whole mosaic of the next sol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 2 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 542

That postcard version is my favourite of the mosaics so far from any source. Why? Because you have rendered the horizon - horizontally. I can only feel I'm there (and focus on the foreground) once that's done right. The official version has it sloping and most others have it curved.

As a bonus it has "Dumgoyne" dead centre.

+Quote Post
ronald
post Nov 3 2012, 09:30 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 6658

Added a big version of mine too smile.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 3 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 542

Yeah that's a great version too.

Jam Butty and EGD - thanks for posting those ChemCam anaglyphs - I overlooked them last night. Looking without glasses I notice the red and cyan fringes are opposite ways round in the two versions. In each case peculiar things happen to the reflections and the moving turret when viewed with glasses, and as this is only playing around it's fun to have both.

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Nov 3 2012, 01:36 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 353

Here is the MAHLI Sol 85 Panoramic view of Mnt Sharp
as part of the MAHLI Sol 85 self portrait.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.