This is a example - very early example
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15847

one that i am going to redo .
the program i am using "Cyclops" has a few bugs

Enceladus
this is a good example a bit better than the above

the close ups are a 8k level 3 VT with and without a texture over it
then a 4k level2 vt

unfortunately i still have to figure out a bug .I need to run a highpass on it ( the 32 bit isis dem )
Cyclops exports to a 3d *.ply this is easy to export to a isis cub
and i get this ( this happens when i combine 16 smaller images into one big one )
and this example is at 1/2 size

Just a bit of a bug !!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
JohnVV
post May 12 2021, 06:47 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4489

why does the 2 sides of the crater rim SFS dem look higher then everything else

this is how the program works
the areas that are tangent do not pick up the height data very well

this causes the " valley" effect in the direction of the lighting

this is one of the drawbacks of using SFS

now using gmic to remove most of the low frequency data this is somewhat improved ,but not eliminated

there is still no really GREAT solution to this issue

SFS is still a problem to be solved

+Quote Post
JRehling
post May 21 2021, 03:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (JohnVV @ May 12 2021, 11:47 AM) *
there is still no really GREAT solution to this issue

SFS is still a problem to be solved

Indeed. And for a surface with unknown reflectance properties (e.g., an outer solar system body with very few images) not to mention albedo variation that is not due to illumination conditions, it's in principle an unsolvable problem.

A 2006 work, for reference:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1640974

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Jun 10 2021, 11:37 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9009

a friend of mine processed this fantastic dem from one of the juno ganymede images

it captured all the little cracks and stuff very well

here is a map verson i made from that dem (fixed inaccurate elevation, and issues in some craters)

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 21 2021, 04:32 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Jun 10 2021, 04:37 AM) *
a friend of mine processed this fantastic dem from one of the juno ganymede images
[...]
it captured all the little cracks and stuff very well

This isn't a DEM, and didn't capture Ganymede very well. Ganymede has tremendous variation in albedo and creating a bump map from that (which is a one-minute project in Photoshop) produces something which is largely fiction. Crater rays aren't cracks nor are they elevations, nor do the transitions from darker terrain to grooved terrain translate to regional depressions or elevation.

Moreover, the sun angle obviously varies profoundly across the image, with shadows nearly perpendicular at the terminator and almost overhead at the center of the limb. This effort would only be meaningful if the sun angle were approximately constant when it's about as different from constant as imaginable. Projecting this onto a cylindrical map makes it look like Ganymede has one rough area and another smooth area and that is total fiction.

There is plenty of data from previous missions that would enable a more complex process that would produce what this aspired to produce, but this isn't it.

There are multiple skilled image processing experts who post here and produce amazing, publishable work, but it's not easy, and there's a lot to learn from the care they put into their work.

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Oct 21 2021, 11:10 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (JRehling @ Oct 21 2021, 05:32 PM) *
This isn't a DEM, and didn't capture Ganymede very well. Ganymede has tremendous variation in albedo and creating a bump map from that (which is a one-minute project in Photoshop) produces something which is largely fiction. Crater rays aren't cracks nor are they elevations, nor do the transitions from darker terrain to grooved terrain translate to regional depressions or elevation.

Moreover, the sun angle obviously varies profoundly across the image, with shadows nearly perpendicular at the terminator and almost overhead at the center of the limb. This effort would only be meaningful if the sun angle were approximately constant when it's about as different from constant as imaginable. Projecting this onto a cylindrical map makes it look like Ganymede has one rough area and another smooth area and that is total fiction.

There is plenty of data from previous missions that would enable a more complex process that would produce what this aspired to produce, but this isn't it.

There are multiple skilled image processing experts who post here and produce amazing, publishable work, but it's not easy, and there's a lot to learn from the care they put into their work.

but than why haven't we seen bigger DEM chunks than really tiny hunks for Ganymede (and Callisto( even fewer for Callisto)) in papers, but for Triton we have most of the cantaloupe terrain (for the approach hemisphere) height mapped, and we have a good chunk of the southern regions height mapped to (all though unreliable), according to this paper, there is plenty of usable PC DEM coverage and stereo DEM coverage (although its not going to be in the best resolution)

for callisto there is this blurry DEM from MexLab geoportal
(someone turned it into a 3d model and i processed it back into a DEM)
Attached Image

but it could be better though

does anyone know of any papers with significant stereo or PC DEM coverage that i haven't seen/found yet, because i am clearly missing something.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 21 2021, 11:24 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Oct 21 2021, 04:10 PM) *
but than why haven't we seen bigger DEM chunks than really tiny hunks for Ganymede

Possibly nobody finds DEM chunks a really valuable thing to produce. Someone interested in the science of Ganymede's geology can do work like this without trying to publish a map.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/artic...019103510003945

QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Oct 21 2021, 04:10 PM) *
for callisto there is this blurry DEM from MexLab geoportal

Again, this is not a DEM. You seem to think that every bump map generated from albedo is a map of elevation. The bright spots on Callisto are craters with bright subsurface material revealed. Using that brightness to produce a map of elevation is pure fiction.

A bump map might happen to be very close to a DEM if a lot of conditions were being met which are not being met in the cases you're playing around with. Eg, fixed albedo, constant illumination geometry, a Lambertian surface or one with minimal specular properties under the given illumination conditions. When those conditions aren't being met, you get a work of fiction.

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Oct 22 2021, 11:08 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (JRehling @ Oct 22 2021, 12:24 AM) *
Possibly nobody finds DEM chunks a really valuable thing to produce. Someone interested in the science of Ganymede's geology can do work like this without trying to publish a map.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/artic...019103510003945

Again, this is not a DEM. You seem to think that every bump map generated from albedo is a map of elevation. The bright spots on Callisto are craters with bright subsurface material revealed. Using that brightness to produce a map of elevation is pure fiction.

A bump map might happen to be very close to a DEM if a lot of conditions were being met which are not being met in the cases you're playing around with. Eg, fixed albedo, constant illumination geometry, a Lambertian surface or one with minimal specular properties under the given illumination conditions. When those conditions aren't being met, you get a work of fiction.

http://cartsrv.mexlab.ru/geoportal/

thats where the original callisto "dem" came from (you haft to do some playing around to get to it, there is also a blurry europa, and Io "dem") before someone turned it into this model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3686246 witch i processed a "dem" from

how is DEM data not a viable thing, we need to know topography elevation, like if we wanted to land a probe on an object, we need to know its terrain and as much of its climate as possible?

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 22 2021, 02:31 PM
Post #9

First of all, the standard of citing research is to provide an author name of a paper, not that there is a blurry image on a website for people to go looking for with no information about who created it (not "someone"), how their results may be duplicated, what data and method was used to derive it.

QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Oct 22 2021, 04:08 AM) *
how is DEM data not a viable thing, we need to know topography elevation, like if we wanted to land a probe on an object, we need to know its terrain and as much of its climate as possible?

And does a blurry image on a website that has none of the above information, hasn't been reviewed, and doesn't indicate what grayscale corresponds to what elevation help mission planners? Not a bit.

As far as I know, there are two different consumers of such products:

People who provide space art can use a DEM to generate a view of the world in viewing situations that have never actually occurred. We can easily do this with global DEMs of Mars, the Moon, etc. This is fun stuff… not particularly essential… but also depends on a pretty complete global map. With little fragments that cover a few percent, this doesn't work, unless you only want to show a little fraction of the world, which is also fun stuff, but not really a burning need.

People who do real science and want to know, as in the paper I linked to, how the geology of a world is evidenced in its topography, and those people want to know how tall a crater rim is vs. the floor. Not a blurry DEM that someone posted without any of the specific information that I listed above.

What you posted is a fiction. It shows that Ganymede is smooth in an area where it isn't smooth… it just had different illumination, in one image, on the limb than on the terminator. Who benefits from that fiction? It also shows changes in vertical elevation where bright crater rays exist. Who needs that fiction? Can someone planning a mission look at your image determine what grayscale corresponds to what elevation? Will they bet a billion dollar mission on that? No.

People aren't generating those because they're not valuable for any purpose. They aren't even real DEMs. You could just as easily apply the same Photoshop filter to the Mona Lisa and that won't generate a 3D version of a person's face, either.

Now an actual DEM where you began to take into account variation in albedo and the variation in illumination across a curved surface might be of some use. That's going to be vastly harder work to come up with than applying a Photoshop filter to an image. For starters, you have to understand that "shape from shade" only works when in the real world, shade is from shape; e.g., that variations in albedo and illumination geometry do not exist. Ganymede and Callisto are utterly disqualified from that category.

There's a lot of paying attention to detail that has to occur before products of value emerge. Then a lot of hard work. Those aren't steps to skip.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- JohnVV   shape from shade   Apr 7 2010, 04:03 AM
- - JohnVV   making progress started with N1500060254_2.img r...   Apr 8 2010, 12:27 AM
- - 4th rock from the sun   Nice bump maps ! I have already suggested som...   Apr 8 2010, 02:53 PM
- - JohnVV   right now i am working on Dione i have a list of f...   Apr 13 2010, 07:26 AM
- - JohnVV   just an update this is a TESTING only 100% auto t...   Apr 17 2010, 03:42 AM
- - Bjorn Jonsson   This looks very impressive, there is some loss of ...   Apr 27 2010, 12:41 AM
- - JohnVV   hi Bjorn at this point i am just using a default ...   Apr 27 2010, 03:58 AM
- - JohnVV   only 3 show so a link to the photo album http://w...   Apr 27 2010, 04:22 AM
|- - Bjorn Jonsson   I have now tested Cyclops a bit. The first test ru...   Apr 29 2010, 09:26 PM
|- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Apr 29 2010, 10:26...   Oct 18 2021, 08:48 PM
|- - JohnVV   QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Oct 18 2021, 04...   Oct 19 2021, 01:22 AM
|- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (JohnVV @ Oct 19 2021, 02:22 AM) i ...   Oct 19 2021, 10:48 AM
- - JohnVV   i am calling it a "bug" because i am doi...   Apr 30 2010, 02:06 AM
- - JohnVV   while i am starting to put together an ISIS contro...   May 3 2010, 04:33 AM
|- - Bjorn Jonsson   QUOTE (JohnVV @ May 3 2010, 04:33 AM) if ...   May 4 2010, 02:28 PM
- - JohnVV   at the end will be a link to the folder newbump.ta...   May 6 2010, 06:16 AM
- - JohnVV   five more and most likely the last until i find wh...   May 8 2010, 08:42 PM
|- - Bjorn Jonsson   Thanks - I'll take a look at these files soon....   May 8 2010, 10:27 PM
|- - TrappistPlanets   i figured out how to dem process in gimp, but how ...   Nov 29 2021, 01:41 AM
|- - JohnVV   QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Nov 28 2021, 08...   Nov 29 2021, 03:27 PM
|- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (JohnVV @ Nov 29 2021, 04:27 PM) i ...   Nov 29 2021, 05:24 PM
- - JohnVV   first the gimp Gmic filter( was called Graystratio...   May 9 2010, 04:02 AM
- - JohnVV   a bit of a change - the below will create a ...   May 13 2010, 06:42 PM
- - JohnVV   2) removing the curvature yes one or two meshes c...   May 13 2010, 08:01 PM
- - Sajid   Interesting work you are doing. Where did you fi...   May 13 2010, 08:20 PM
- - JohnVV   3) convert the hipassed normal to a mesh then to ...   May 13 2010, 08:39 PM
- - JohnVV   4) -- optional -- i like to normalize and convert ...   May 13 2010, 11:46 PM
- - JohnVV   an update just a "testing " shot with...   May 28 2010, 12:07 AM
- - Bjorn Jonsson   Looks very promising despite the 'terraced...   Jun 6 2010, 09:05 PM
- - JohnVV   QUOTE Looks very promising despite the 'terrac...   Jun 7 2010, 03:02 AM
- - 4th rock from the sun   I've programed a simple SFS implementation in ...   Sep 2 2010, 01:16 PM
|- - AndyG   Very nice! ActionScript, huh? Smarty-pants...   Sep 2 2010, 01:52 PM
|- - 4th rock from the sun   Thanks! I'm reading the image as a raste...   Sep 2 2010, 10:17 PM
- - JohnVV   the main problem has been with non optimal images ...   Sep 2 2010, 11:24 PM
- - JohnVV   just a bit of an update stereo is by far better ...   Feb 1 2012, 05:04 AM
|- - volcanopele   QUOTE (JohnVV @ Jan 31 2012, 10:04 PM) th...   Feb 1 2012, 06:11 AM
- - JohnVV   a height map but that spot IS an artifact from Sh...   Feb 1 2012, 06:53 AM
- - JohnVV   for now i have dropped the hyperionCV sfs in favor...   Apr 17 2012, 09:03 AM
|- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (JohnVV @ Apr 17 2012, 10:03 AM) fo...   May 10 2021, 12:52 PM
- - JohnVV   just a update on a rather old thread i was asked ...   Jan 15 2018, 06:13 AM
- - TrappistPlanets   i have a SFS dem of umbriel   May 10 2021, 01:05 PM
- - TrappistPlanets   sorry that the attachemt was spammed, my computer ...   May 10 2021, 01:07 PM
- - JohnVV   QUOTE why does the 2 sides of the crater rim SFS d...   May 12 2021, 06:47 PM
|- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (JohnVV @ May 12 2021, 06:47 PM) th...   May 12 2021, 11:25 PM
|- - JRehling   QUOTE (JohnVV @ May 12 2021, 11:47 AM) th...   May 21 2021, 03:07 AM
|- - TrappistPlanets   a friend of mine processed this fantastic dem from...   Jun 10 2021, 11:37 AM
|- - JRehling   QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Jun 10 2021, 04...   Oct 21 2021, 04:32 PM
|- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (JRehling @ Oct 21 2021, 05:32 PM) ...   Oct 21 2021, 11:10 PM
|- - JRehling   QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Oct 21 2021, 04...   Oct 21 2021, 11:24 PM
|- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (JRehling @ Oct 22 2021, 12:24 AM) ...   Oct 22 2021, 11:08 AM
|- - JRehling   First of all, the standard of citing research is t...   Oct 22 2021, 02:31 PM
- - JohnVV   QUOTE i don't know how to compile programs vea...   Oct 19 2021, 02:29 PM
- - stevesliva   Just FYI... There was this other discussion: http:...   Oct 22 2021, 04:47 PM
|- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (stevesliva @ Oct 22 2021, 04:47 PM...   Oct 23 2021, 11:53 AM
- - Phil Stooke   Schenk, P., McKinnon, W.B., Moore, J. and Nimmo, F...   Oct 23 2021, 07:00 PM
|- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 23 2021, 07:00 P...   Oct 23 2021, 10:48 PM
|- - JRehling   QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Oct 23 2021, 03...   Oct 23 2021, 11:26 PM
|- - JRehling   Here's the full text of a paper explaining the...   Oct 24 2021, 07:00 PM
- - JohnVV   a google search found the MS windows binaries htt...   Nov 29 2021, 05:41 PM
- - TrappistPlanets   QUOTE (JohnVV @ Nov 29 2021, 06:41 PM) a ...   Nov 29 2021, 05:58 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.