Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno perijove 7: GRS images, July 11, 2017
Gerald
post Jul 13 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

GS_Brasil: "...other images look very strange to me...":

That's image #59, taken a mere 6276 km above Jupiter's 1 bar "surface". Here, Jupiter's surface curvature is contributing considerably to the perspective.
I'll try to prepare a fly-over for the GRS until early next week. This should make things more intuitive.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jul 13 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 7273

Departing the Great Red Spot. Still lots of "popcorn" convection in the South Tropical Zone, although I don't think that's a surprise at this point.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 13 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 6780

PJ07, #062, and #064:
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PFK
post Jul 13 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 4121

I take it BBC's report includes some of the brilliant efforts off here?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40594126

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 13 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 5221

Just saw an article illustrated with that same image in the BBC report in today's edition of my local paper, the Victoria Times Colonist. You were credited Jason!

It's pretty satisfying to see ordinary people finally get credited rather than just acronyms like NASA, ESA, were on previous missions.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jul 13 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #51

Wallpaper version of the 4 GRS images from the Perijove 7 campaign:

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jul 13 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 424

The BBC report additionally contains two images credited to Sean, one of the forum's principal image magicians, and one credited to Kevin Gill, an active space image processor and also a forum member, although apparently not an active poster.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 13 2017, 11:16 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Jul 13 2017, 02:01 PM) *
Wallpaper version of the 4 GRS images from the Perijove 7 campaign...

Beautiful job. I think we might use this in our press release if it's OK with you. One minor quibble: these images were taken at 02:03, 02:07, 02:10, and 02:12 UT (Spacecraft Event Time) on 11 July 2017. I think there might be some time zone confusion going on.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jul 13 2017, 11:32 PM
Post #54

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jul 13 2017, 06:16 PM) *
Beautiful job. I think we might use this in our press release if it's OK with you. One minor quibble: these images were taken at 02:03, 02:07, 02:10, and 02:12 UT (Spacecraft Event Time) on 11 July 2017. I think there might be some time zone confusion going on.

Yeah, I'm fine with that. I meant to put the time of perijove on the image, but it looks like I found the wrong time. At any rate, I've uploaded a version to the Juno website without the text if that helps.

EDIT: Changed the image to the correct perijove time.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 14 2017, 01:15 AM
Post #55

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

A bit late to the party but here are my versions of the PJ7_60 image. As I usually do I decided to break this up into three separate images to get something similar to what one would obtain with a regular camera at Jupiter. To show Jupiter from limb to limb requires a *very* wide field of view, much wider than a typical camera has.

These are approximately true color/contrast views. The only enhancement is that I sharpened small scale features a bit, mainly to compensate for the resampling that occurred during some of the processing steps. These images have the same resolution in km/pixel as the original framelets.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

And the associated metadata for image PJ7_60:

IMAGE_TIME = 2017-07-11T02:07:07.724
MISSION_PHASE_NAME = PERIJOVE 7
PRODUCT_ID = JNCE_2017192_07C00060_V01
SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE = 9866.1 km
SPACECRAFT_NAME = JUNO
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LATITUDE = -24.4222
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LONGITUDE = 58.2555
TITLE = POI's: The Great Red Spot, Edge of Great Red Spot, Within the Wake of the Great Red Dot
Resolution at nadir: ~6.6 km/pixel

Murphy's law struck during the processing. Windows decided that it would be a good idea to reboot my machine about 30 minutes after I went to sleep last night. At that time my machine was running 6 instances of the software I use to process and reproject the raw framelets. This delayed everything by at least 5-10 hours. I thought I had managed to completely prevent these unwanted reboots but no - they still happen but now only on rare occasions (in particular occasions when I absolutely don't want them...).

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jul 14 2017, 02:42 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 7837

PJ07_62 from Gerald's batch...

PJ07_62_detail

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jul 14 2017, 09:56 AM
Post #57

PJ07_60 Detail v2

Some agressive processing to try to eke more variation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 14 2017, 12:29 PM
Post #58

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Here is an aproximately true color/contrast animation showing how Juno's rotation sweeps JunoCam's field of view across Jupiter's disc from north to south:

https://vimeo.com/225551533

The animation is from Juno's position when it was obtaining the PJ7_60 framelets. It is based on SPICE data for Juno's position and JunoCam's pointing. For clarity it has been slowed down by a factor of 2 relative to Juno's spin rate. The horizontal field of view (FOV) is 57 degrees. The time it takes to see Jupiter from limb to limb shows very well how large Jupiter appears to Juno at this close range (a FOV of more than 120 degrees would be needed to show Jupiter from limb to limb).

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jul 14 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #59

I posted this image...

based on a scale comparison in this video...
Juno footage & Earth scale

I have responses ranging from 'Spot On' to 'Wrong'...both from academics.

I'm concerned that I have unintentionally muddied the water on this and hope someone here will provide some accurate scales with which to fix the post...or not.

*updated link to replace fix*

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 14 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Sean @ Jul 14 2017, 05:26 AM) *
I have responses ranging from 'Spot On' to 'Wrong'...both from academics.

I'm afraid I'm solidly in the "wrong" camp on this -- based on some rough sanity checks based on the size of the Spot you have the Earth 2-3 times too small. Junocam images are tricky, as the scale varies a lot over the image due to foreshortening. I wouldn't trust most people to be able to definitively figure this out; I can't do it myself without doing a little work, which I'll do later today.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 07:27 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.