Reply to this topicStart new topic
Updated Titan Map
David
post Oct 18 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Oct 18 2007, 05:00 PM) *
I think Phil is picking up on my possibly unfair skepticism : if it's not Scottish, it's crap. Same for
RADAR.

Ralphocentric view is - orientation of features is contrary to expectation , could it be an
artifact? If so, it is then an ISS artifact.

If it is real, it would be very interesting.

Well, the more northerly of that set of ISS images overlaps with a radar swath, so you could compare them. I'm having no luck finding a more detailed version of that swath, though -- I expect that won't be a problem for you. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 18 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #137

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (David @ Oct 18 2007, 01:59 PM) *
Well, the more northerly of that set of ISS images overlaps with a radar swath, so you could compare them. I'm having no luck finding a more detailed version of that swath, though -- I expect that won't be a problem for you. smile.gif

The more northerly set of images is part of the T16 RADAR Swath (the leftmost section) which has been released as PIA09112 (available here). The right end of this swath is the section that drops down into Aaru basin. Here is a graphic which shows where T16 ends up in relation to the ISS "verticle lines".

Attached Image

There is a "secret swath" that passes much closer to the Playboy peninsula and also overlaps with some of the Ta RADAR swath. Unfortunately, this has not yet been released. [I'm drooling with anticipation since this might've come close to a cool-o interesting multi-ring feature].

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 18 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #138

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Duh - sorry, Ralph. I thought you were making a joke about the n-s trending straight lines at the top of the map... reprojected grid lines. I should never have doubted you. I never will again... well, not very often.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
David
post Oct 18 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Juramike @ Oct 18 2007, 07:17 PM) *
The more northerly set of images is part of the T16 RADAR Swath (the leftmost section) which has been released as PIA09112 (available here). The right end of this swath is the section that drops down into Aaru basin. Here is a graphic which shows where T16 ends up in relation to the ISS "verticle lines".

Thanks, Mike! That certainly does make it look like the seeming N-S dune field is artifactual -- there are real dunes in there, but they're going W-E. I'll certainly look forward to further radar swaths in this region.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 18 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #140

Member No.: 23

Ralph, those are artifacts. The original CB3 images (or MT1 images, I can't recall at the moment) were taken in 8-bit mode in that area, so you see some effects from the dithering. And regarding the implication that if it isn't RADAR, it's cr@p, I'm telling!!! tongue.gif

BTW, here is the updated map with all RADAR SAR swaths in the PDS at the moment (including all the HiSAR stuff).
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Oct 19 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #141

Member No.: 627

VP...

Right now, you rule, man!!!!!

Even if I am more partial to the detail in the SAR...

Craig

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 19 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #142

OK, I've [almost] given up.

Does anyone have any idea where the T19 Distant targeted look fits in?

I've been struggling to fit this in and just haven't been able make it work.

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Oct 19 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Oct 18 2007, 07:46 PM) *
Ralph, those are artifacts. The original CB3 images (or MT1 images, I can't recall at the moment) were taken in 8-bit mode in that area, so you see some effects from the dithering. And regarding the implication that if it isn't RADAR, it's cr@p, I'm telling!!! tongue.gif

Thanks VP - I figured that was the case. I guess a partial retraction is in order -
IF you take out the artifacts, and IF you somehow know whether a dark splot is
a sand sea or a methane lake, THEN the imaging is really pretty interesting .....

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 19 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #144

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Oct 19 2007, 09:07 AM) *
IF you somehow know whether a dark splot is
a sand sea or a methane lake, THEN the imaging is really pretty interesting .....

That's what my divining rod is for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 19 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #145

Speaking of dark splots...the new mosaic shows a really nice dark splot down in S Senkyo basin.

Could this be an artifact or a Senkyo version of Omacatl Macula?
(It seemed to be present on the older maps as well, the newer mosaic brings out the contrast).

-Mike

[EDIT: Feature indicated]:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 19 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #146

That little spot is one of my favorite little areas. Not sure what it is. It isn't an artifact, it has been seen in a number of mosaics covering this region. One possibility is that it could be a buried impact crater. In this area, it would appear we have bright material partly covered in dunes, but we have this circular feature that is much darker than the surrounding terrain. Perhaps this is an impact crater that has been subsequently filled in with sediment, then covered in dunes. Another possibility is that it is similar to Omacatl, a cryovolcano with an ashfall deposit, but this really doesn't have the same, parabolic shape that Omacatl and Elpis have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 19 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #147

The parabolic inky black shape of Omacatl and Elpis Macula(e?) would be due to the prevailing winds causing the cryoashfall drift.

But the wind strength varies as Titan moves around in it's orbit, if the General Circulation Models are correct.

So...maybe the S Senkyo splot [name needed here] was a single-shot deal done during a calm-wind period. That would give it a nice regular circular diffusion to the fallout pattern rather than a downwind parabola.

Any chance this feature was imaged in the "secret unreleased RADAR swath"?

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 19 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #148

I doubt that. Winds can vary, but I doubt there would dead calm for the duration or an eruption or eruptions, particularly at the altitude of the top of the eruption column.

Okay, I'll bite. What secret, unreleased SAR swath? T23?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 20 2007, 01:15 AM
Post #149

Yup. T23 (Jan 13, 2007) RADAR Swath.

I'm hoping they release it soon.....

The few images they've released (Ganesa Macula, half-crater image) are teasingly cool-o....

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post Oct 27 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 110

Some new images of Titan were taken on October 22. They cover the lowest resolution area on the latest Titan maps.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...iImageID=130136

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:02 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.