8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
HiPOD, HiRISE Picture Of the Day
CosmicRocker
post Dec 27 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

The Holden Crater Megabreccia image from Release 4 is one of my favorites. I cropped an area containing some of the larger fragments, and added a scale bar and an overlay of Eagle Crater with lander (~22 meters) for another sense of scale.

As I was looking at the larger image, I noticed that my brain would sometimes invert the topography, creating a completely different impression of the geology. Most of you are probably familiar with the effect. The description from the HiRise site tells us that the illumination is coming from the north, so it is clear that these large breccia clasts are softer than the surrounding matrix, and have eroded to become depressions rather than elevated blocks.

I thought it might be fun to hear how others initially "see" the topography in this area, so I made the attachment containing two images. The one on top has the original orientation, and the bottom image has been flipped vertically.
Attached Image

edit: I was led into this exercise because one of the cropped images at the HiRise site is flipped or rotated, thus creating a misleading impression.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 28 2006, 09:46 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 174

A psychological trick to de-invert "flipped" topography in space images (craters that look like domes, etc) is to orient the image with the real direction of illumination from the top, and to actually position a light source "above" the picture if just orienting it so light is coming from "above" doesn't work.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Dec 29 2006, 08:28 AM
Post #93

Hmm, a psychological trick? Are you suggesting a real light source above my monitor? I never would have considered that. I have looked at that image so many times that it changes every time I blink. laugh.gif

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 29 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Dec 29 2006, 08:28 AM) *
Hmm, a psychological trick? Are you suggesting a real light source above my monitor? I never would have considered that. I have looked at that image so many times that it changes every time I blink. laugh.gif

That's exactly how to do it. Point your finger at the screen, make a shadow, and POW! those Martian Domed Cities become, er, craters!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 29 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 174

"Are you suggesting a real light source above my monitor? "

Exactly. It's a desperation last trick for images that won't de-invert. Usually, just orienting the pic so the pic's illumination is coming from above -- as seen by the viewer -- works, but some pics are "recalcitrant"

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Dec 30 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #96

I really tried to make that work, using various light sources at different positions. But I don't see how I would create the shadow of my finger on my bright screen, short of using a blinding light. It sounds like a good idea, though.

In keeping with the theme of illusions, here is something different. When I first saw North Sinus Meridiani Landforms from Release 6, I knew instantly how it needed to be "enhanced." smile.gif The f@ce and pyr@mids of the Cydonia region are nothing compared to this place. Kick me, if I am bad, but I thought we made allowances for artistic impression here.

The detail that HiRise is able to capture is amazing. I've named this image, "Mars...Land of Change." laugh.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
Pando
post Dec 30 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #97

The Insider

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Dec 29 2006, 11:11 PM) *
I really tried to make that work, using various light sources at different positions. But I don't see how I would create the shadow of my finger on my bright screen, short of using a blinding light.

What helps is the way your finger (or try any other object) is illuminated from the light above, and the shadow is not necessarily needed. Expecting a light source from the top is wired to our brains, naturally.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 30 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #98

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I've never struggled with this, once I read "illumination from the left" - I'm fine...BUT

I've NEVER been able to watch the Apollo 11 landing and see 'craters' on the surface, it's always been domes....it really annoys me ohmy.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
RedSky
post Dec 30 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 218

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Dec 30 2006, 02:11 AM) *
I really tried to make that work, using various light sources at different positions. But I don't see how I would create the shadow of my finger on my bright screen, short of using a blinding light. It sounds like a good idea, though.

In keeping with the theme of illusions, here is something different. When I first saw North Sinus Meridiani Landforms from Release 6, I knew instantly how it needed to be "enhanced." smile.gif The f@ce and pyr@mids of the Cydonia region are nothing compared to this place. Kick me, if I am bad, but I thought we made allowances for artistic impression here.

The detail that HiRise is able to capture is amazing. I've named this image, "Mars...Land of Change." laugh.gif

Attached Image

Nice joke, there CR. I almost didn't notice the Jefferson Nickel until I saw the words "trust" and "liberty" on the crater rim. Oh, and the FDR dime makes for nice "change" also... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Jan 1 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 223

First of all, A Happy New Year to all of you smile.gif smile.gif

Let me share the latest finding of my "HiRISE Mars Sightseeing Flights": a colorized crop of the "Ius Chasma" image of the PSP5 release (original image here)
Included is a 50-meter scale symbolized as the shadow of an "imaginary" passenger-jet, just for a better "sense of scale" of the
scenery ...

Attached Image

(usual disclaimer: the synthetic colors are based on "real-color" palettes and guesses about
probable surface composition (i.e. "blackish" dark basaltic sand dunes with light colored, more reddisch/yellowish exposed rocks etc.)

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 1 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #101

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (Nirgal @ Jan 1 2007, 05:03 PM) *
First of all, A Happy New Year to all of you smile.gif smile.gif

Let me share the latest finding of my "HiRISE Mars Sightseeing Flights": a colorized crop of the "Ius Chasma" image of the PSP5 releaseIncluded is a 50-meter scale symbolized as the shadow of an "imaginary" passenger-jet, just for a better "sense of scale" of the scenery ...

Ahaa! Caught you! You're obviously posting in the style of that last image post - down in the corner, it's a Jefferson Airplane...

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 17 2007, 05:23 AM
Post #102

I wasn't sure which thread would be best to post this in, since it is an anaglyph made from the color image of Eberswalde delta from release 1 and a grayscale image from release 8. I like the concept of a HiPOD thread, so here it is.

This full-scale anaglyph is from an area north of the oxbow anaglyph of release 8. It has a lot of relief and a nice view of the polygonal blocks eroding from these sedimentary layers. The scale bar is 100 pixels/25 meters long, and 2 pixels/50 centimeters wide.
Attached Image

Edit: I just wanted to note that this is a progressive jpeg, to give a false sense of instant gratification to those of you on dialup, like myself. A low resolution version builds relatively quickly, and the details fill in painfully slower. sad.gif

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jan 17 2007, 06:17 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 150

Great works, Tom and Bernhard! smile.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jan 17 2007, 09:03 AM
Post #104

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (dilo @ Jan 17 2007, 06:17 AM) *
Great works, Tom and Bernhard! smile.gif

I subscribe that!
Nirgal...How do you do that?! blink.gif
You know I'm saving them all...
In the end I'll print them all and keep your work as a treasure... smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 22 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #105

Thanks for your kind comments, Marco and ustrax. smile.gif

I've been experimenting with color anaglyphs where only one image from the stereo pair is in color. It seems that it works much better when the colored image is for the right eye. The Eberswalde pair fortunately matched that criterion. I now find myself wishing that the rovers' Pancams had the color filters on the right side.

Anyway, that exercise started me wondering if there were any other HiRise stereo pairs where one of them was in color...and that led me to collect a listing of released HiRise images, and to learn how to decipher the HiRise image names. I haven't yet found any other stereo pairs that would make interesting false-color anaglyphs, but I thought the image catalog I collected might be useful to others.

I am posting an Excel spreadsheet that contains all of the images and their descriptions. It is easily sortable, and you can use the auto-filter buttons to filter the data fields in many convenient ways. I have also included links to the images, and a field indicating if color or stereo is available. (If I missed any, perhaps someone will let me know.) Thanks to the HiBlog, I learned that the file names are composed from the Mission Phase, Orbit #, and Target Code. I could not use that information to identify the location of the images, but I was able to use the Target Code to calculate the latitude of the center of each image.
Attached File  MRO_HiRise_Image_Catalog1_posted.xls ( 152.5K ) Number of downloads: 356

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:11 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.