Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winter Quarters, at Low Ridge Haven
djellison
post Sep 6 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #571

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

yup - infact I remember the really low whr figures up on West Spur and then the really nervous drive across West Spur to get to the slope that lead to LL...they had 'sun' maps that showed where was good and where was bad in terms of driving.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 7 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #572

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Just as an example - consider the size of shadow being cast by the PCMA here...

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/...00P2260R1M1.JPG

Doug

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Sep 8 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #573

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

New update September 8, from JPL MER. Spirit solar power level continues to be critical but stable at around 280 watt-hour.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Sep 9 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #574

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (MizarKey @ Sep 6 2006, 02:47 PM) *
If I'm not mistaken, the first cleaning event was noticed on SOL 421 or thereabouts.

Here is a link to a JPL Press Release with info and images relating to the Sol 421 cleaning event
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre.../20050323a.html

Before and After a Cleaning Event on Spirit

"other evidence of dust-lifting winds were a jump in power output by Spirit's solar arrays on sol 420 from removal of some accumulated dust, and sighting of two dust devils in sol 421 images from Spirit."

the dramatic before and after images are here:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...s-A433R1_br.jpg

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 6 2006, 03:12 PM) *
yup - .. on West Spur .... to get to the slope that lead to LL...they had 'sun' maps that showed where was good and where was bad in terms of driving.

here is an example of a "solar insolation" map in the JPL Rover weekly highlights from 28 August 2004
Attached Image

ken

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Sep 13 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #575

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Sep 8 2006, 02:41 PM) *
Spirit solar power level continues to be critical but stable at around 280 watt-hour.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

Rodolfo

She's starting to be very, very dusty. I am wondering about the numbers and if anyone could make an estimation: could we relate the nowadays state of power to the amount of dust (that is: subtract the effect of unfavourable illumination she's in now from the amount of watts we'd expect with completely clean panels). Could we make a comparison with the situation of one martian year ago ?
Secondly: How much improvement in power could one expect from a couple of meters of "agressive" driving at an angle, thereby "shaking" off some of the top layer of dust ? Could it be a significant effect ? Is there evidence for that ? Might it get her to a higher level that might provide her wind gusts during the afternoon when summer gets there ? Remember the first cleaning events: she was reborn ! She was unbelievably clean !

Oh, how much for a canister of compressed air down there that's in my camera bag. And a spare wheel.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Sep 13 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #576

QUOTE (Marcel @ Sep 13 2006, 01:14 PM) *
She's starting to be very, very dusty. I am wondering about the numbers and if anyone could make an estimation: could we relate the nowadays state of power to the amount of dust (that is: subtract the effect of unfavourable illumination she's in now from the amount of watts we'd expect with completely clean panels). Could we make a comparison with the situation of one martian year ago ?

I think you can see it from a topic, whr figures from various sources which Helvick performs most of amateur calculations of power level of both ladies.

Secondly: How much improvement in power could one expect from a couple of meters of "agressive" driving at an angle, thereby "shaking" off some of the top layer of dust ? Could it be a significant effect ? Is there evidence for that ? Might it get her to a higher level that might provide her wind gusts during the afternoon when summer gets there ? Remember the first cleaning events: she was reborn ! She was unbelievably clean !

Usually on the top is the place most windy of anywhere since the air flow concentrates most on the top due to the compresion of air movement from the bottom up to the hill's height. But the problem is that Spirit has no enough power to move a little up. So Spirit must wait for few weeks, between end of Sept or Oct, will move a little (depends upon to the power reserve levels). I don't think that Spirit will be able to shake off the dust by riding since it goes very slow and on very soft sand surface unless it must hit against any rock by the way or reach on the top of the hill in which Spirit is sitting.

Oh, how much for a canister of compressed air down there that's in my camera bag. And a spare wheel.

Don't understand it. sad.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Sep 23 2006, 02:26 AM
Post #577

Member No.: 503

This is a little off-topic, but I didn't feel like we needed a new thread. If you haven't already done so, check out Mark Adler's blog at TPS:

http://planetary.org/blog/

He gives a great description of the nail-biting events surrounding Spirit's rough start on Sol 18, and the efforts of JPL to restore communication.

There are also a couple of great blogs about Mars Sample Return.

David

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Oct 2 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #578

Guests

Spirit is still alive you know:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/pa...00P2562L6M1.JPG

How things change........... remember the excitement as Spirit approached Homeplate with that spectacular layered rock?

+Quote Post
alan
post Oct 12 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #579

Member No.: 110

Is that the rim of gusev on the horizon or something closer
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/pa...00P2567L6M1.JPG

+Quote Post
helvick
post Oct 12 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #580

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

It's not the rim of Gusev - I think it's Clarke Hill but I could be wrong.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 12 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #581

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

It's the north rim of Thira Crater I think.

Compare with this from HH summit.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...FP2292L7M1.HTML

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
helvick
post Oct 12 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #582

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

I could have sworn it was one of the Colombia Hills but I'll defer to your expertise James. Ta. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 12 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #583

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

I'm sure none of the Columbia hills could look that hazy, especially during the nice clear winter.

I think the features match up with that view of Thira from the summit - considering that the POV has changed a bit. And the bearing is right 55-60 degrees.

Attached Image

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 13 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #584

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Oct 12 2006, 06:27 PM) *
It's the north rim of Thira Crater I think.

Compare with this from HH summit.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...FP2292L7M1.HTML

I am afraid it is not. The Thira crater is another side of McMundo Hill. At the Spirit position is not able to see it.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Oct 13 2006, 01:53 PM
Post #585

Member No.: 221

McMundo [sic] (sp. McMurdo) isn't the name of a hill. It is the name of a panorama taken from Low Ridge Haven.

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  « < 37 38 39 40 41 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:38 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.