Juno Perijove 36, September 3, 2021
Brian Swift
post Sep 4 2021, 08:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8250

PJ36 data showed up about 1:14 pm.

Attached Image

16-bit PNG version at at https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=11285
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Sep 8 2021, 07:56 PM
Post #2

PJ36_43 full spin Jupiter and Io (with poor color alignment) image.
Attached Image
full resolution at https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=11342

Mike, so really no way to get 84 frames from a full spin image?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 8 2021, 09:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Brian Swift @ Sep 8 2021, 12:56 PM) *

Sure, it's easy. We only do it this way to irritate you personally. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Sep 8 2021, 10:48 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 8 2021, 02:44 PM) *
Sure, it's easy. We only do it this way to irritate you personally. rolleyes.gif

I knew there would be a reasonable explanation. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 9 2021, 12:20 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Brian Swift @ Sep 8 2021, 12:56 PM) *

Seriously, it's not trivial because of some timing limitations. We only took this image for Io, though I question if there was much point given the range. It does seem like Murphy's law always splits the image across the planet, we've had that problem since Earth flyby. Maybe there is some systematics in the spin phase we have never learned about.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 9 2021, 03:29 PM
Post #6

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

I guess there is always the off chance you might catch a plume. Looking at the geometry, Chalybes is at the limb, but even if it were active, plumes on the limb are just about at the limit of JunoCAM's capabilities at this distance (346,000 km). Plumes JUST past the terminator are JunoCAM's best bet but there just weren't any good sources during this opportunity.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 11 2021, 02:43 PM
Post #7

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

This is processed from image PJ36_40, approximately true color/contrast and enhanced versions. North is to the left.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Apparently the images continue to get slightly redder. For PJ36 I am correcting the color by multiplying R/G/B with 1.0, 1.285 and 3.12 whereas for PJ35 I ended up using 1.0, 1.27 and 3.08.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 15 2021, 05:17 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 682

Don’t know where to post this but sew 2 days ago the info. For exemple here :https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2021/09/14/jupiter-seems-to-have-just-been-smacked-by-something-pretty-big/?sh=7ff452ce2edf
So a hit occurred on Sept 13th and wondering if Juno could get a glimpse of remanant traces…

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 15 2021, 06:08 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (climber @ Sep 15 2021, 09:17 AM) *
So a hit occurred on Sept 13th and wondering if Juno could get a glimpse of remanant traces…

I haven't seen anything about this from a better source than Forbes, anyone else?

Juno is really too far from Jupiter now to get useful data, so it won't be until the next pass on 16 October. Not sure if that longitude will be well seen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 15 2021, 06:15 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 23

From Sky and Telescope:

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/...ash-at-jupiter/

Article has information about the location of the impact:

"Pereira captured the flash at latitude –5.5° and longitude 105.7° (System I / L1), 83.3° (System II / L2), and 273.4° (System III / L3)"

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 15 2021, 06:57 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Sep 15 2021, 10:15 AM) *
"Pereira captured the flash at latitude –5.5° and longitude 105.7° (System I / L1), 83.3° (System II / L2), and 273.4° (System III / L3)"

Here's the Cosmographia view for the next PJ, but I'm not sure what longitude system it displays, and the whole E/W thing versus what S&T reports...
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 15 2021, 09:49 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 321

Here's a thread on CloudyNights about it:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/789064-c...act-on-jupiter/

Damian Peach obtained a really nice ground-based image hours later that showed no sign of the impact.

https://twitter.com/peachastro/status/1437834143350628358

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 16 2021, 04:45 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 15 2021, 11:57 AM) *
I'm not sure what longitude system it displays, and the whole E/W thing versus what S&T reports...

If I assume that all the numbers from S&T are degrees west (which seems to be the standard amateur convention, very reasonable) and Cosmographia is displaying System III longitudes (which is the standard NAIF convention, I believe) then the next PJ will be on the opposite side of the planet from this event, unfortunately.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 17 2021, 04:59 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 105

Although the next Perijove will be on the other side from this impact point, i wonder if a disturbance could not drift along the Zone over the next Earth month (and many Jovian days) and be seen at that Perijove.
We'll see what we see in October.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 17 2021, 05:26 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 321

I suppose the problem is that we also would have to recognize the disturbance against the locally chaotic clouds, and we already know that the Damian Peach image showed nothing at that resolution. Obviously, Juno offers much better resolution, but now we know that whatever we might be looking for is going to be pretty subtle and also of unknown specific appearance.

This is a little like someone telling you they lost something on the beach and you're looking for it without knowing what it is. Even if you find something, what you find might not be it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:04 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.