IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Top of Vera Rubin Ridge Part 1, Site 66-67, sol 1812-1943, 11 Sep 2017-23 Jan 2018
charborob
post Nov 7 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 3908

Sol 1866 Lmastcam:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Nov 7 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 2455

What an amazing view of the path ahead. Does anyone know the height of some of those large mesas at the base of Mt. Sharp? So hard to get a feel of scale in these photos. I remember early in the mission the first high res shots of that area there was a boulder down at the base of one of them and it was supposedly taller than the rover and it looked tiny in comparison to the hill beside it.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Nov 7 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #123

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (Art Martin @ Nov 7 2017, 10:31 AM) *
What an amazing view of the path ahead. Does anyone know the height of some of those large mesas at the base of Mt. Sharp? So hard to get a feel of scale in these photos. I remember early in the mission the first high res shots of that area there was a boulder down at the base of one of them and it was supposedly taller than the rover and it looked tiny in comparison to the hill beside it.

This should give you a rough idea:
https://hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EXTR...1750_U01.ca.jpg

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 7 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 7837

If you have a Daydream or GearVR phone [ or phone supporting VR ] or HMD you can visit this area in person. The mesas are frickin' huge.

Sketchfab

--------------------

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Nov 10 2017, 09:31 AM
Post #125

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L view on Sol 1869.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Nov 10 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 1102

The rim is so clear now--dust must be very low!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 10 2017, 06:13 PM
Post #127

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Yes, it's great to see the rim again so clearly.

Here is Jan's panorama from sol 1869 in circular form. We are in a recess in this small topographic step on the ridge, probably ready to climb it now. Let's hope that drill can be used on the ridge before we have to move on.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Nov 10 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #128

Any chance this is a walk around to understand the overall diversity of rock types, and when done, possibly go back down the hill to an older layer to start drill sampling?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 10 2017, 11:45 PM
Post #129

I really can't see a return to the lower surface north of the ridge. That geologic unit had been drilled further north, and examined at almost every stop by ChemCam and APXS along the way.

Phil

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Nov 11 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #130

I was thinking older and younger layers of Vera Rubin Ridge, not all the way back down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Nov 11 2017, 06:32 AM
Post #131

Member No.: 6853

Question for the group: I used to get the approximate elevation of Curiosity from the JPL traverse maps posted here, but JPL have not updated the maps since sol 1830. I'm guessing I could obtain elevation from NAIF or maybe from the JSON files. Not sure how easy that would be, but likely beyond my skill-set. So I'm hoping there could be another source for that data without having to await the PDS....

In the meantime here's a (very rough & ready) Curiosity Sol 1871 L-NavCam partial pan assembled in MS ICE, the stitch is poor, but the scenery is lovely.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Nov 11 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #132

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L view on Sol 1871.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Nov 11 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 11 2017, 12:45 AM) *
I really can't see a return to the lower surface north of the ridge.
That geologic unit had been drilled further north, and examined at almost every stop by ChemCam and APXS along the way.

Phil

But, if you don't drill actual bedrock, how would you know it's the same geologic unit?

+Quote Post
neo56
post Nov 11 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 79

I made an animation with the 25 MAHLI dust level checks of REMS UV sensors that Paul selected.
The distribution of dust changes between sols 1498 and 1552: while dust was evenly distributed on the ring-shaped magnets before sol 1498, it then forms accumulations, as if the fine fraction of dust had been blown away by a wind event. We also observe this dust accumulation on the left side of the REMS device.

Attached Image

Higher resolution version of the animation here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 11 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #135

"But, if you don't drill actual bedrock, how would you know it's the same geologic unit?"

All the ChemCam and APXS data, plus geological interpretation of HiRISE and rover images. The rover updates at JPL have made clear the interpretation being followed by the rover team. This ridge is a new unit. To go back to the earlier question, which I misinterpreted, certainly there might be a return to lower units on the top of the ridge if variations in ChemCam and APXS (plus Mastcam multispectral) suggest it's useful, otherwise one drill site may be enough.

Anyhoo, here is Jan's 1871 panorama in circular form.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.