Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 24 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #17

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 22 2005, 09:42 PM)
perhaps we should do one of those 'where everyone is from' google map things... and we could schedule something for the middle of it.

Based on that standard, I believe we would be meeting in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean blink.gif

I think Pasadena/Los Angeles would be just dandy, then we could arrange JPL guest speakers and tours of the facility, then perhaps a half-day drive to Malin Space Sciences in San Diego. Also within a few hours drive is Vandenberg AFB. The conference could be coordinated to view an upcoming launch. Barringer Crater in Arizona would be a full's day's bus ride.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 24 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #18

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

Barringer Crater in Arizona would be a full's day's bus ride.

Food for thought... a Barringer-Victoria comparison image:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st=15&p=33033&#

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 24 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #19

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Thing is - Western USA is a BIG trip for anyone from Europe, and there is a large European contingent in this place. I'd rather do something that isnt 12hrs away and reachable with a cheap airline first time around, see how it goes - THEN - do something in the US perhaps the following year smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 24 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 24 2005, 10:14 PM)
...Thing is - Western USA is a BIG trip for anyone from Europe, and there is a large European contingent in this place.....

And so it begins, the cliques start to form. Europeans vs Americans. Africans vs. South Americans. Antarcticans vs. Pacific Islanders. Alas, this was a nice happy place while it lasted. biggrin.gif

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Phillip
post Dec 24 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 249

I agree wholeheartedly with Doug's sentiments. While there are many, many places that would be wonderful for a first meeting, we should probably focus on a place that has many direct connections from one continent or another and that is relatively inexpensive. Better to make the first forum meeting convenient and accessible to many than fun for a few. If it is in Europe, Frankfurt enjoys a major hub airport, while being relatively less expensive than the "majors" of London and Paris. But locals may be able to find arrangements that alter that equation! smile.gif

My 2 cents (yes I am a Yankee)

smile.gif

Phillip

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 24 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #22

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'll boil it down to the essentials. We're not having something that I cant guarentee being able to make it to. A 3 or 4 day break to Europe is something I can slip into whatever's going on at work. But a week+ in the US just isnt.

I agree - something in CA, or FL, or even Ithaca would be fan-bloody-TAstic, BUT, let's do something a little more modest first time around, see if it's a feasable exercise (such things cost quite a bit of money to do) , find out how to do this sort of thing...THEN...all book holidays for '07 (like, August '07 for the Phoenix launch tongue.gif ) and have something bigger in the US. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 24 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #23

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

LA would be great (since I live here! tongue.gif ), but I travel to NJ quite frequently as well.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 25 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Dec 24 2005, 11:32 AM)
...A get together during July or August would work best for most of us I presume as it's the holiday season  cool.gif ...

Interesting collision between American English and non-American English, there. In Britain, taking a week or two off from work and going somewhere is called "going on holiday" and the summer is the most popular time to do so -- hence, "holiday season."

In the U.S., the holiday season begins on Thanksgiving Day and lasts through New Year's Day. Ask *any* American when holiday season is, and that's what they'll tell you.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Nix
post Dec 25 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #25

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

What about Ascension Island, or what's that island in the middle of the Atlantic..midway for most members biggrin.gif

As Doug said, the US would be fantastic, and I'd do it -but I'd probably regret the short stay I could afford in '06.
I have had a 3-week trip to the USA in mind for '07; visiting some national parks and Meteor Crater.

I'm able to meet up anywhere in Europe in 2006 though.

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Dec 25 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 24 2005, 10:49 PM)
LA would be great (since I live here! tongue.gif ), but I travel to NJ quite frequently as well.

Doug's comments are sensible to gather somewhere in Europe with easy access for many members. and hey you really cant top locations like the tower of Belem !!

if you are in the area, All forum members and friends are absolutely welcome to attend the monthly Princeton, NJ astronomy lectures for the AAAP which I organize: http://www.princetonastronomy.org/

I've already had the pleasure to meet several members. Please drop me a line if nearby.

ken

+Quote Post
malgar
post Dec 25 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 401

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 25 2005, 12:26 AM)
I agree - something in CA, or FL, or even Ithaca would be fan-bloody-TAstic, BUT, let's do something a little more modest first time around, see if it's a feasable exercise (such things cost quite a bit of money to do) , find out how to do this sort of thing...THEN...all book holidays for '07 (like, August '07 for the Phoenix launch tongue.gif ) and have something bigger in the US. biggrin.gif

I'm totally agree with you Doug!

I repost the link of the frappr map.
Tell us where are you from!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 26 2005, 09:15 AM
Post #28

Guests

You're right Doug, A small thing to start & see what the response is ( Europe is fine and going to the USA is no problem as I have a visum ) ... but whatever meeting place we choose it should have some criteria!
Let's start a list: smile.gif

Priority 1 = There should be a space-related theme in the area that we could visit ( e.g. DNS site in madrid-Spain or Jodrell Bank in GB )

Priority 2 = Accessibility ( details to be filled in )

Priority 3 = to be determined

curious to see what we could ' work out ' biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Phillip
post Dec 26 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 249

I wonder if there is a space related conference that would be of interest to UMSF members, to which a UMSF meeting could be made an "appendage" -- either the day before the conference began or the day after? That could solve many logistical problems and would satisfy the criterion of having something space related that the members could participate in/view with others.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 26 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #30

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Phillip @ Dec 26 2005, 06:10 AM)
I wonder if there is a space related conference that would be of interest to UMSF members, to which a UMSF meeting could be made an "appendage" -- either the day before the conference began or the day after?  That could solve many logistical problems and would satisfy the criterion of having something space related that the members could participate in/view with others.

I go to LPSC, AGU, and DPS regularly and I think that DPS is the best one to interest people in this community. And it's in my backyard next year. wink.gif
http://www.aas.org/dps/meetings.html
(8-13 October 2006 in Pasadena, California)
Wherever the "big meeting" under discussion here ends up taking place, I hope at least a small group of UMSF members will attend DPS -- we can have a party at The Society's house!

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.