Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars Express Color Images
stevo
post Jun 15 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 378

Bob,
Thanks for the detailed response. I was taking ESA's word for the volcanic thing, it's been 1/2 a lifetime and change since I last studied geology and I remember just enough to understand what people are talking about.
Wouldn't it be fun to be there, just walking around ...
Stephen

--------------------
Popper: A party entertainment, filled with confetti and a small explosive charge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Malmer
post Jun 18 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 468

Since they have the 3d DEM data and know the geometry of the lighting they could easily divide out the shading from the images and create reasonably accurate albedomaps. Have anyone tried this?

Would be nice to have an "unshaded" dataset to be able to render the martian surface under any lighting condition.

I used a stereo correlation software called "ZK stereo" to generate dems from the anaglyphs on the web but its not the greatest software in the world. it could really use some help from shape from shading to improve its solution... and using jpg compressed anaglyphs really doesnt help smile.gif

I made some simple flybys in open gl that where nice. But the garish colors that ESA used in their first releases really did not help the look too much...

It looks to mee that esa is only using stereo correlation to make their dems. They should use shading information as well to improve the resolution.

/M

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jun 21 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #18

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Margaritifer Terra in full splendor:

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/in...fobjectid=39388

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 27 2006, 07:16 AM
Post #19

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 12 2006, 09:02 PM) *
Swath Angle 29.1°
Outer Stereo Angle ± 20.5° 520-760 nm
Inner Stereo Angle ± 12°
Nadir Channel 0°
Blue Channel - 4.6° 435-520 nm
Green Channel - 2.3° 522-592 nm
Red Channel + 2.3° 626-686 nm
IR Channel + 4.6° 780-850 nm

I'm not sure how, if at all, that matches up with the space-borne version - but I've noticed some fairly extreme miss-matching just between the IR, G and B channels when looking at harsh elevation such as at Val.Mar.

Has anyone been able to find something better than these figures?

Doug

+Quote Post
Sacha Martinetti...
post Jul 8 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 481

QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 21 2006, 11:53 AM) *
Margaritifer Terra in full splendor:

Nobody says anywhere on ESA site that this picture is a color anaglyph, in wrong rotation (we must rotate it 90° at right) or it's me ?

Sacha (one of the thousands enjoyed lurkers)

PS Thanks again for your upper smart forum I read dayly since MERs launches. And I apologyze one more time about my poor english. But I'm working hard smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.