47 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hayabusa - The Return To Earth, The voyage home
Tesheiner
post May 27 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #481

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

IIRC Huygens used the kind of separation / spin mechanism I tried to describe.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 27 2010, 05:44 AM
Post #482

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Beagle 2, to, had a spin up and eject mechanism ( the SUEM ) that basically was spring loaded, but when released, it pushed through a spiral form to impart spin as it went.

+Quote Post
JimOberg
post May 27 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #483

Group: Members
Member No.: 5259

2010/05/27 04:59 JST: TCM-2 operation was completed
Category: 2010_English Posted by: HayabusaLive

JAXA confirmed that TCM-2 operation was successfully completed.

By this operation, Hayabusa was guided to the outer rim of the Earth and the distance between Hayabusa and the Earth resulted in around 7,600,000km far.

Hayabusa sysytem is going well.

*TCM: Trajectory Correction Maneuver

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post May 27 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #484

Member No.: 5323

QUOTE (nprev @ May 27 2010, 03:43 AM) *
By the way, can anyone confirm that the capsule is spun up upon ejection? I've seen a graphic of some sort that seems to indicate this (my memory's a bit hazy here), but haven't read anything to that effect.

http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/j/forefront/2004/kuninaka/02.shtml

Dear Neprev

above chart indicating delta Vs achieved by various ISAS hardware, I am afraid all in Japanese, 5th from the left is Hayabusa, red is delta V, and the darker bar is the fuel. Those on the left are earlier ISAS missions, such as Nozomi, those on the right are various stages of the solid fuel rocket, M-V.

I read about spin stabilization of Hayabusa only last night, and I can confirm it, but I can no longer find where it is. It was in Japanese, somewhere. What amazed me was that the rate was so small, something like 1 revolution per second, or was it one minute?, I do not remember... It did not say how it may be achieved, though.

One other thing is that JAXA will be televising through internet what will be going on inside the ISAS control centre between 18:00 and 24:00 on 13th June. The format will be either Flash video or WM, with the bit rate of 300 kbps and the size 320x240.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
konangrit
post May 27 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #485

Member No.: 704

QUOTE (pandaneko @ May 27 2010, 01:34 PM) *
One other thing is that JAXA will be televising through internet what will be going on inside the ISAS control centre between 18:00 and 24:00 on 13th June. The format will be either Flash video or WM, with the bit rate of 300 kbps and the size 320x240.

Excellent, presumably those times are JST?

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 28 2010, 02:13 AM
Post #486

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Thank you very much, Pandaneko; much appreciated! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post May 28 2010, 08:27 AM
Post #487

QUOTE (konangrit @ May 28 2010, 04:00 AM) *
Excellent, presumably those times are JST?

I should think so, the announcement was meant for Japanese watchers, I think. I am angry about the degree of publicity by the Japanese press about Hayabusa. Hayabusa is virtually being ignored here. I think that is crazy...

In the meantime, I will try and find about the spin stabilization during the course of this evening.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post May 28 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #488

QUOTE (nprev @ May 28 2010, 11:13 AM) *
Thank you very much, Pandaneko; much appreciated! smile.gif

I tried to get to the same article about Hayabusa spin stabilization and I could not find it, and instead ended up in finding another article. Sources unknown, I am afraid, it is some kind of press report, I think. What it says is;

Both the capsule and its mothership will approach from NW to Woomera at 200 km height, and 8 hours before reentry at the height of 100 km the capsule is given a spin of 0.2 Hertz before release.

At the same time Hayabusa's projectry is changed by the ion engine (courtesy, of course) so she can go back into interplanetary space. Everybody knows that she will not make it.

Immediately after that a timer is activated in response to deceleration and after 150 seconds a parachute is deployed and simultaneously the ablator is jettisoned at the height of 10 km.

The article also says that the approach height is far lower than originally planned to avoid damage to populated areas by mistake. Lack of chemical thrusters and the lower release height means that Hayabusa is doomed.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
Paolo
post May 28 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #489

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (pandaneko @ May 28 2010, 02:29 PM) *
the capsule is given a spin of 0.2 Hertz before release.

that's 12 rpm

+Quote Post
JimOberg
post May 28 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #490

Member No.: 5259

JAXA appears to have removed one of its website links to its announcement of a successful completion of TCM-2. I don’t know if this is a website management mix-up, or an indication that the claim of a successful TCM-2 is now considered premature. Probably an innocent website problem….

JAXA’s general english-language Hayabusa updates are at
http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/home/hayabusa-live...34&blogid=6

Yesterday [may 27], 11:48 AM I recall that I read this message there, and copied it to
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...1741&st=480

2010/05/27 04:59 JST: TCM-2 operation was completed
Category: 2010_English Posted by: HayabusaLive

JAXA confirmed that TCM-2 operation was successfully completed.

By this operation, Hayabusa was guided to the outer rim of the Earth and the distance between Hayabusa and the Earth resulted in around 7,600,000km far.

Hayabusa sysytem is going well.

*TCM: Trajectory Correction Maneuver

But that message is no longer there.

However, it hasn’t vanished entirely.

Ref: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=7382.45
At nasaspaceflight.com the same message was posted by ‘Yoichi’, who gave this link:
Link http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/home/hayabusa-live...98&catid=34

At THAT link, the message still exists. However, it is not accessible from the JAXA tweet page.

It IS accessible from http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/home/hayabusa-live...47&blogid=6

Any explanation would be appreciated. It does look like a website content control issue
and not a spacecraft issue.

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post May 29 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #491

Dear Jim

I had a look at JAXA website in Japanese. As far as I can see TCM-2 was completed and that latest message is dated 28 May. I did not find anything unusual. I should perhaps add that I have not been intimately following JAXA website in Japanese, but today's look does not seem to point to anything alarming, I think, and I hope.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 29 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #492

Member No.: 523

In anticipation of Hayabusa's return (knock on wood!) to Earth, I thought I'd post a couple of images from the last time he looked at it from up close. The global views you already saw plenty of times, but I haven't seen the closest approach image reproduced often.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lyford
post May 29 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #493

Member No.: 124

Thanks for posting that, ugordon! It also gave me a chance to relive some of the mission going though your flickr gallery smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post May 30 2010, 02:20 AM
Post #494

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (nprev @ May 26 2010, 11:47 PM) *
Yeah, I never thought it was a brand-new method or anything, just never really knew how it's been done. (I was thinking that there might be some sort of helical groove around the top of the capsule, but that seemed ridiculous...)

I'd be interested to know too - both how it is spun (and how fast) and if there is any harness separation how
that is done.

Approaches for the former include helical rails (as Huygens) or more compact spin-eject devices (Beagle 2 had a neat one),
ejecting from a spin table, and spinning up the mother ship prior to release (e.g. Genesis, Pioneer Venus) : for the
latter function a pyrotechnic cable-cutter can be used (e.g. Genesis) or low-insertion-force connectors are just yanked out
(e.g. Huygens). See my review article http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rlorenz/spinjbis.pdf

+Quote Post
Canman
post May 30 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #495

Member No.: 5348

It will take around 100 hours for ion thrusters to accelerate.

I once heard that ion thrusters give 'A simlar thrust to a small rodent fart'. Proof

+Quote Post

47 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 08:01 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.