32 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Apollo Sites from LRO
PDP8E
post Sep 6 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #211

Group: Members
Member No.: 1241

Here is the Apollo 11 site from LROC with a home brew de-striper and a try at an initial calibration.
It has been zoomed by 3X

Attached Image

cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Sep 6 2009, 02:32 AM
Post #212

Here is the processed Apollo 14 landing site
(destriped, rough cal)

Attached Image

Cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 6 2009, 02:50 AM
Post #213

Member No.: 15

Nice work, PDP! In particular, the A14 image really shows the contours of the old, extremely subdued crater that Antares landed in. It's also obvious that all of the Triplet craters, even the subdued-itself North Triplet, are an awful lot younger than the old, extremely subdued craters, as North is directly superposed on the landing site crater's northeast rim.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Sep 6 2009, 03:11 AM
Post #214

Thanks Doug (as a fellow Apollo witness, these are truly good times)
Here is the Apollo 15 LROC site (same processing)

Attached Image

cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Sep 6 2009, 03:15 AM
Post #215

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Sep 5 2009, 10:50 PM) *
Nice work, PDP! In particular, the A14 image really shows the contours of the old, extremely subdued crater that Antares landed in. It's also obvious that all of the Triplet craters, even the subdued-itself North Triplet, are an awful lot younger than the old, extremely subdued craters, as North is directly superposed on the landing site crater's northeast rim.

-the other Doug

It also appears to me that you can see the shadows of the RCS plume deflectors that were mounted on the descent stage.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Sep 6 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #216

Here is the LROC Apollo 16 site (with the same processing)

Attached Image

cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Sep 6 2009, 04:11 AM
Post #217

and here is the last ...Apollo 17 landing site for LROC (same processing)

Attached Image

cheers

(and to bed!)

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 6 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #218

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Sep 6 2009, 03:46 AM) *
Here is the Apollo 11 site from LROC with a home brew de-striper and a try at an initial calibration.
cheers

Incredible! We can even make the ladder's shadow on the right biggrin.gif
Seriously, thank so much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenny
post Sep 6 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #219

Member No.: 759

Those images are astonishing. On A16, but also on A17 and possibly A14, you can actually see the 2 shadows of the thin blast deflectors from the RCS thrusters, which stand up from the descent stage at 2 corners. We know from the lunar lift-off TV on A15, 16 and 17 that these structures survived the blast from the departure of the LM ascent stage.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Sep 7 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #220

Here is an annotated image of the Apollo 11 landing site.
After processing and looking at the map of 'where things should be' at the site, I have annotated what I think are footprints and the location of the ALSEP. Now, as we get to a lower orbit and re-image I could be totally wrong, but still, I present them for your inspection and careful scrutiny.

Attached Image

your mileage may vary

cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
kenny
post Sep 7 2009, 07:30 AM
Post #221

That crater is actually Little West Crater, and the bigger West Crater is out of shot to the right. Confusingly, on some maps, Little West is actually called East Crater because it is east of the landing site. Armstrong's pan location was right on the rim, so a little east of where you mark it.

Your ALSEP looks about right for the PSE, but the LRRR was closer to the LM. Amazing if the actual PSE instrument is visible, which I think it is.

This post mission A11 map has most of the features:

Apollo Lunar Surface Journal - Apollo 11 traverse map

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 9 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #222

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

That Apollo 11 map is a bad copy of this original (USGS drawing, Defense Mapping Agency publication):

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/mapcatal...ST/ap_11_12_14/

Using the same map as a source, in this image I have superimposed the Apollo 12 traverse on the LROC image (copied from one of the above posts) and attempted to map out in red the tracks we can see with LROC. In some areas it's not easy to see where the tracks are so there's some guesswork involved, but in many areas they are clear. More troubling, you can find linear markings - subtle topographic shading - in places that were never walked on, so care has to be taken in interpreting the faint trails. It shows where the traverse was reconstructed accurately and where it was not - the EVA mapping was based on debriefing done weeks after the events, and you can try mapping an off-trail hike from memory to see how difficult it is.

One thing that never made it onto the EVA maps was a very quick run around at the end of EVA 2 in the general area north of the LM, using Tom Gold's Lunar Surface Close-Up Camera to take stereo images. Some of the tracks and spots north of the LM come from that.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 10 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #223

Member No.: 15

Ah, Phil... exquisite! And let me say, you're the only guy here I know of who would know to correctly identify Middle Crescent Crater. wink.gif

Now what I'm really looking forward to is seeing how well we can see Rover tracks on Hadley Delta, Stone Mountain and the North and South Massifs, and whether or not we can see sets of footprint tracks at the sampling stations at Hadley, Descartes and Taurus-Littrow. (The instance we do have, of Station 6 from A17, doesn't show much in terms of tracks of any kind, a fact which I'm tempted to attribute to the sun angle.)

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 10 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #224

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Thanks, oDoug. Here's a look at another site, Apollo 17 Station 8 on the Sculptured Hills. Tracks are faintly visible if you know what to look for - this is located based on an original sketch in the USGS Professional paper on Apollo 17 and the derived version in my atlas. 'SWP' is a crater named after the 'Science Working Panel' (successor to GLEP, the Group for Lunar Exploration Planning) which defined science activities at the landing sites.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
kenny
post Sep 10 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #225

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Sep 10 2009, 01:57 AM) *
Ah, Phil... exquisite! And let me say, you're the only guy here I know of who would know to correctly identify Middle Crescent Crater.

Hey, c'mon... he's not the only one familiar with Middle Crescent. I mentioned it in Post #185 .

But I truly concur ... his work IS exquisite!

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:55 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.