8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL self portrait, Sols 84 - 85
EdTruthan
post Nov 12 2012, 03:08 AM
Post #92

Group: Members
Member No.: 6500

Gotta say Mike, this is a stunning portrait of MSL and just beautifully conceived and captured. Many thanks to everyone involved for the brilliant sequencing. But oh boy, what bear to render. Figuring out the right projection so that no part of the image is too stretched is pretty tricky. And anaglyphing from 2 mosaics that always seem to render slightly differently and aligning them for minimal eye strain even more of a headache. Whew! There's a slew of things one could fidget with for weeks but... ready for prime-time or not, here's my initial version of the full resolution mosaic - anaglyphed (and links to the 2D, Sol 85 version below it). Admittedly, probably the toughest anaglyph I've ever attempted (...and still far from perfect...)

Click the image for a half-sized 9000x7500px version:

...and the Full Resolution anaglyph version at 18000x15000px is here: Sol-84-85-MSL-Self-Portrait-Anaglyph-18000x15000px.zip (32MB Zip File)

Sol 85 in 2D (left channel for 3D)
Half Sized 2D/Sol 85 version at 9000x7500px is HERE (11Mb JPG)
Full Resolution 2D/Sol 85 version at 18000x15000px is HERE (27MB Zip File)

Sol 84 in 2D (right channel for 3D)
Half Sized 2D/Sol 84 version at 9000x7500px is HERE (11Mb JPG)
Full Resolution 2D/Sol 84 version at 18000x15000px is HERE (27MB Zip File)

11/15/12 EDIT: All files have been now been updated and refined...
~ Shutter smear substantially reduced.
~ Horizon flattening refined.
~ Additional anaglyph dirt 'floaters' removed from both channels.
~ Additional anaglyph channel alignments.

11/16/12 EDIT: Added links for Sol 84/2D image to pair with Sol 85 2D for 3D imaging applications.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 12 2012, 03:40 AM
Post #93

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (EdTruthan @ Nov 11 2012, 08:08 PM) *
But oh boy, what bear to render. Figuring out the right projection so that no part of the image is too stretched is pretty tricky. And anaglyphing from 2 mosaics that always seem to render slightly differently and aligning them for minimal eye strain even more of a headache.

Yes, we've been having the same problems. Your version is really nice and definitely shows that you can get reasonable stereo out of the whole thing.

If anybody would find the metadata of use, let me know and I can probably provide it. We're just using hugin for this ourselves at this point and making no use of the metadata.

Also, removing the shutter smear would be nice. I'll see if I can post that as well if nobody beats me to it.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
iMPREPREX
post Nov 12 2012, 05:49 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 6546

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 11 2012, 10:40 PM) *
If anybody would find the metadata of use, let me know and I can probably provide it. We're just using hugin for this ourselves at this point and making no use of the metadata.

Yes - please provide us with the metadata for MAHLI and both MastCams if possible. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 12 2012, 06:52 AM
Post #95

QUOTE (iMPREPREX @ Nov 11 2012, 10:49 PM) *
Yes - please provide us with the metadata for MAHLI and both MastCams if possible.

I'm only talking about the MAHLI metadata for the self-portrait, and it'd be nice if you gave me some indication of how it would help processing. I've already discussed my inability to release metadata in general; it will be included with the PDS archive.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
iMPREPREX
post Nov 12 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 6546

Well, I apologize - I just wanted the data so I could plug it in to the stitching programs (I am a beginner), and there is a lot on this site to sift through. I apologize for wasting your time. Just wanted to help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Nov 12 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 678

My contribution to this truely awesome piece of work. Tooks me the entire afternoon in order to export the JPEG output. It's very LARGE !

And the Flash VR version of it, available here :
http://www.db-prods.net/blog/2012/11/01/cu...e-autoportrait/

Ed Truthan: I will download your files, but by judging the thumbnail, you did a great job smile.gif. I suppose that it was hard for your computer too wink.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Nov 12 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 6336

Thank you for posting the "self portrait", amazing sight.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Nov 13 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #99

I see that somebody has edited my post. Yes, I did confound Astro0 and Ed. Sorry for that…

So, Ed, truely great piece of work, it's easy to view the stereo effect all around the panorama. For me this will be one of the Image of this end of year from Curiosity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 13 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #100

QUOTE (iMPREPREX @ Nov 12 2012, 11:24 AM) *
I just wanted the data so I could plug it in to the stitching programs (I am a beginner)...

The metadata for pointing is in the form of the CAVHOR model vectors (see, e.g., http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2004/2003JE002199.shtml ). Hugin at least requires pointing information in the form of roll/pitch/yaw. If anybody already has code to go from one to the other, or knows of mosaicking software that uses different types of pointing information, please let me know.

I'm going to have to jump through some hoops to get permission to post this, and I don't want to bother if nobody can really do anything with the data.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Nov 13 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #101

Yes, roll/pitch/yaw could be the best option. And this will be very usefull in order to build a good mosaic of the sky, where control points are useless there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 13 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #102

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

I can deal with CAHVOR to some extent (still working on it). It would be a goldmine for me just to see an example of what the metadata looks like.

+Quote Post
EdTruthan
post Nov 15 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 6500

For those who are interested, I've added some refinements to all sizes of both the 2D and 3D MSL Self-Portrait files from my above post in this thread. Changes are listed at the bottom of the original post.

And Mike, thanks for the CAVHOR meta data offer... like others above have mentioned it'd be really interesting to give it a gander but since I probably won't have time to re-visit the MSL Portrait again soon I can't confirm a personal need at this time. Your kindly offer is acknowledged though. I'm sure in the long life of this mission there will be particular mosaics which may be extremely problematic or even impossible without meta-data so your willingness to hoop-jump to connect us with it is very much appreciated. Thanks indeed.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 16 2012, 12:16 AM
Post #104

Member No.: 152

Wow, beautiful job aligning the 84/85 portraits, Ed! blink.gif

Any chance, if you've got the server space, that you could post the corresponding sol 84 mosaic? It would be insanely cool to view in full colour stereo on a 3D display...

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 16 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #105

QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 15 2012, 05:16 PM) *
Wow, beautiful job aligning the 84/85 portraits, Ed!

Definitely a great job, and better than anything we've been able to come up with.

Did you use hugin? If so, might you consider posting the files? I like the registration a lot but I think I could improve on the image cosmetics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 16 2012, 01:01 AM
Post #106

BTW, this is obviously off-topic but I've been asked to point out that we've got a software engineering position open at MSSS -- see http://www.msss.com/about-us/jobs.php for details.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.